Emigrating To Australia

Hi guy's,

I'm about to emigrate to OZ and have a GO 700 which I find great for what I need.

Does anyone know if can update my maps to Australia (Perth) or is it a case of Ebay here we come and buying a new one when I get there ?

Thanks in advance ;)

Jim.

OK sorry but further help needed.

I've paid for and downloaded the map. Installed tomtom home and conected and downloaded the map to my 700.

But when I look in the maps to change the map Australia isn't there ?????

Yet when I re-connect the tomtom to my laptop it says the map is on my device stored in maps/E

So is it on my 700 or not and if so can anyone tell me how to find / select it.

Many thanks
Jim.

may have a folder called 'maps' (no quotes) on your unit BUT you should also have a folder in the root of the unit (along with all the other folders there) called 'Australia' (no quotes.)

Use Explorer to look at the contents of your 700 and report back with what you see.

Also, when you downloaded the map, you should find it here on your pc:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

(assumes XP. If Vista or W7, then there is a 'all users' folder before 'yourname', I think).

If it's there, perhaps the info in this link may assist:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

Hi dhn,

Again thanks for the speedy reply.

Yes when I look in explorer the folder is there showing in my 700 and yes it's in my documents and setting folder also.

I'm using XP

I've tried the repair method explained in the sticky at the top of this page for no maps found as I thought this may work but still the Austrailia map is no visable on my 700.

I have Canary Islands and UK and both of those are visable ??????? Arrrrgh

Next suggestion please ;)

Did you use the info in the link to try to install the map manually (without using Home)??

Yep tried that but I'm no PC wizz kid.

I extracted the 2 Zip files in E and that droped 2 new files of the same name in there.

I then disconnected the 700 restarted it and nope no map there !

It's not the .zip files that go into the unit, it's the extracted files (using the utility WinRar) that you need to extract the files.

In other words, you should result in an Australia map folder with lots of files inside, including one with an extension of <mapname>.meta.dct.

Is that what you see?

I have managed to do it.

I disconnected the 700 and re-set it using the re-set hole underneath. I then re-connected it to the laptop completed an update and let Tomtom home re-start it.

Disconnected it agian and 'hey presto' the map is now visable. Thats after unzipping the files as you suggested.

I think what has happened, is the first time after downloading the map 'Home' said it was re-starting the device but after about 5 mins nothing had happened, so I disconnected it and re-started it myself. So it looks like something went wrong on that initial re-start. That combined with the zipped files must have stopped the map from opening.

So many thanks for your help and suggestions :D

Regards
Jim ;)

You are welcome, Jim. Make the Explorer backup and have a great time in Oz. I was there a couple of years ago but just for 10 days or so and then it was just Sydney & Melbourne .........

Ask a Question