Eclipse Owners, Speak Up!

After around 5 run arounds with TomTom I finally broke down and baught a new 2 GB SD card, same issue. I can't imagine that it could be the hardware at this point since I have the same issues with both cards and I can successfully update everything except the map (NA version 675). Unfortunately I don't have a back up.

Yeah I'm having the issue when I try to get the NA maps. My SD card corrupted and they're letting me have the maps for free. When I go to Update - I get an internal server error (500). Ive called them a bunch of times and they just say wait for the server to come back. I can get voices, etc.

Ugh - Anyone have a solution for this. The old home won't even recognize my TomTom.

Does anyone one know if TomTom has addressed the issues with saving Sirius presets on the head unit? If so, how is this issue fixed or worked around??

Yup same exact error. "Internal server 500 error". What map and TT software are you running?

Whatever the newest navcore is 7.833. I actually had to install this manually as Home won't even give it to me as an update.. I'm trying to get the newest US and Canada maps..

ctrem76

Yes they have fixed the Sirius preset issue with SW 7.833.

prohan

Are you running the North America maps? As far as I knew our devices couldn't run them....only USA and Canada.

I tried the link and installed manually v7.833 to my eclipse that is in my toyota yaris sr but then when I booted it up, it asked me to select my map and I selected GB Europe which is the one I use and it gave me error message that this was the incorrect activation code.

Two questions: Are you guys Toyota Yaris SR owners and have the same model?

Can anyone give a definitive answer (no hope) from Tomtom regarding what is happening with our devices?

I have read recently an official Toyota press announcement that Toyota and Tomtom have agreed a new deal and some of the new upcoming Toyota cars will include a new version of the integrated Tomtom device. You would think they would be trying to sort out the poor owners of the last endeavour that have been left in limbo land. I've been following this thread for a while and its an oasis in the barren land of answers regarding Tomtom eclipse. Good to see some other people in the same desparate boat. You would think Tomtom would do the best they could to get us to update to the new maps.

Oh by the way good think I had my Tomtom backed up before I tried installing this version otherwise I would be ****ed if you know what I mean.

I have tried installing v7.833 again and this time it worked just fine. Still won't allow any new map to be bought. Any news on that front yet? By the way thanks for posting the new version link.

When I downloaded 7.833 from TomTom Home it actually says TomTom_Application_for_TomTom_Eclipse_TomTom_Toyot on the file folder. So I would assume it would be ok for your Yaris. I don't think Toyota ever used the TomTom stereo here in the US. As far as new map purchases, Home won't let me purchase any new maps either. It's like it's stuck in the past. If I had the money I'd call TomTom and argue with them until they let me try the new maps. Unfortunately I'm a poor student....so no maps for me.

I made it

Well I have a Tomtom TNS400 in my Toyota Yaris which comes up as Tomtom Eclipse in Tomtom Home. Last week I downloaded v7.833. Then I tried to download the latest map through the map update service but i got an error message. I then downloaded the Western Europe map directly. I then installed it and when I switched the Tomtom on it told me not authorised error message. I thought I'll give Tomtom a call and they can refund me the ?50. I spoke to a nice lady who said you should a manual map install and then called back because I had some usb connectivity problems and a fella told me if you have a card reader put the sd card in your reader in your computer. I did, Tomtom home started and it offered as an update the new map I had downloaded (v830.something). I started installing not really believing it would work. It finished I switched it on and guess what?????? IT WORKS. Throughout the process the people at Tomtom said the map is definitely compatible with this firmware and I shouldn't have any problems and it could be a corrupted formware problem (which we all know its not). I don't know if tehy changed something or they quickly created an authentication certificate in the 45 minutes I was on the phone with them for my Tomtom to allow it and you know what I don't care. I finally have the latest map after a year of having the car with the latest updates. My advice guys is go for it and buy the map separately and try and download it (whether its north america or europe). If it then says its incompatible call Tomtom. Every company hates giving refunds. Oh man I'm happy. I'm off to work now.

Hey Georgio,

So what your saying is the newest map update, v8.35 actually works and is compatible with your TomTom Toyota? I have a TomTom Eclipse and was wondering if I should attempt this install. Finally I was able to sort out issues with a 7.833 update.

I'd have to buy a TomTom One map and then manually install. But it possibly could work. I have very old maps from a refurbished unit I bought last month.

He can't be saying map 835 works since he posted on the 11th and 835 just came out for all models today.

You probably can't answer this, but would there be enough of a compatibility change from maps v8.30 to 8.35?

Would TomTom refund my purchase if the maps are not compatible?

I'm surprised he got 830 to work with app 7.833 (that's not even listed on TT's site). I'd be reluctant to push my luck with map version 835.

Unless you were to get written confirmation from TT that you'd get a refund in 7.833 weren't compatible with map 835, I wouldn't risk it.

You can try support at 866-486-6866 and see what they say.

TOMTOM at it again

New version of HOME no longer allows operation of device for Eclipse, and yes there still are no new maps available for us eclipse suckers. Would have come in handy when I went on vacation to South Carolina a few weeks back. Thanks alot TomTom-do you really think I'll ever by one of your products again? But wait there's more. I noticed (after just taking it for granted for so long) while traveling the PA Turnpike, that TomTom still uses the old exit#s1-30( I believe)The exits were renumbered to correspond with their mile marker in 2002. So when I bought the TomTom Eclipse in Nov of 2007, Apparently i was buying a device with a 5 year or older map. Garmin here I come

New version of HOME no longer allows operation of device for Eclipse, and yes there still are no new maps available for us eclipse suckers.

Please elaberate on maps for eclipse? I can't get 8.35 to load without crashing durring setup/map display. Navcore 8.3X is the only thing in could find to work.

Last edited:
Well I have a Tomtom TNS400 in my Toyota Yaris......IT WORKS. Throughout .

My guess is this is true. If you go to tomtom map shop you can download anymap version 8.35......except North America. Seems to me they just don't want us to have it. BTW, the map does work with 7.833.

Last edited:
This is what TomTom calls customer support/service:
Response (ST Andy S) 10/08/2009 11:39 AM
Dear Christopher,

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support regarding the availability of the North American map for your Eclipse. My name is Andy. We are always happy to help. We understand the frustration such an issue might cause.

The availability of maps for specific device lines is based upon the standardized memory for these devices. While we do understand that you've upgraded the memory on your Eclipse, not all users will have access to this additional storage space. At this point, we have no plans to release an optimized North American upgrade for the Eclipse line, but this may be something that changes in the future. We would recommend keeping an eye on TomTom.com and our newsletter for any updates regarding available maps.

Thank you for choosing TomTom for your navigation needs. If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST or Saturday, 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Andy
TomTom Customer Support

Should you wish to update your TomTom Question, please log in to your TomTom account via the TomTom website and do the following:

-Click on 'Support'
-Select 'My Questions History'
-Click on the title of your question then click on 'Update Question'
Customer ( 10/08/2009 12:09 AM
If I can purchase a Version 8.35 map of Mexico for my TomTom eclipse, why the heck can't i purchase 8.35 map of North America? I have a 2 GB card installed, and tested a 4GB card that works. So what exactly is the issue? This issue has been extremely frustrating for eclipse owners (too many forums to mention). At this point, I would be extremely reluctant to purchase any TomTom product in the future.

So basically what they're saying is that, since they can't rely on all Eclipse owners to upgrade their SD Card in their Eclipse, they won't release a map that will work for those of us who figured out shortly after purchase that the 1GB card was way too small. God they suck!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Ask a Question