Dumb Noobie SD Card Question...

New to this, so please be gentle :)

I have a 510, is the card an SD, Mini-SD or Micro-SD?

I guess bottom line is, what should I buy to upgrade. Been looking at the SanDisk site.

Thanks.

Sd Card

I believe. take it with you to consumer electronics store who has discounted cards advertised. 2 gig works fine, see no reason 4 gig would not - but you won't need it (4) unless you are going to load it up with MP3 and other stuff.

The 510 takes an SD card but the only differences between SD, miniSD and microSD are physical dimensions. Most miniSD and microSD come with adapters that will allow you to fit them into an SD slot. Get SD if you can as these cards typically are cheaper at the same capacity than their smaller sized cousins. The thing you have to watch out for is speed. Make sure you get one of the faster cards. People are saying that anything rated at "60x" and above will work. I am unsure as to the actual read/write speeds however.

The primary advantage of high speed flash cards comes with the use of USB 2.0 High Speed card readers in conjuction with a computer having USB 2.0 High Speed ports. USB HS can theoretically transfer data at 60MB/s.
So if information flow is important to you the extra $$ should be as well.

The primary advantage of high speed flash cards comes with the use of USB 2.0 High Speed card readers in conjuction with a computer having USB 2.0 High Speed ports. USB HS can theoretically transfer data at 60MB/s.
So if information flow is important to you the extra $$ should be as well.
What about with regards to the ONE? Right now, they're both on sale at Futureshop but the Ultra is $10 cheaper (more discount).

I read somewhere that the ultra doesn't last that long. I'm not an expert on the these cards, I hope someone else can fill in.

New to this, so please be gentle :)

I guess bottom line is, what should I buy to upgrade. Been looking at the SanDisk site.

Thanks.

To answer the question of micro or mini, the 510 take a micro.

To answer the question of micro or mini, the 510 take a micro.

It can take a microSD when the microSD card is inserted into a standard size SD adapter. The slot for the 510 accepts standard SD dimension cards.

Khuon is right, all TomToms are designed for SD cards (standard size), but will accept mini and micros in an adapter. I would stick with the standard SD's.

Faster is generally better, but the standard speed Sandisk cards are fast enough. Just be aware that slower generic cards may not be fast enough and may give you problems. Stick with an established brand.

Ask a Question