There are no dumb questions.....

Only dumb people right?

Anyway, real quick question and everything seems very vague about it so I figured I'd ask...

I have a Tomtom XL 330 with RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver. Which seems to work well enough I guess. In the options menu under Tomtom Serviced I notice there is a "Weather" option. However when I click/touch it nothing happens.

I dont know if that means I'm not in a area that offers weather, or maybe I dont have the proper subscriptions. The same applies for Tomtom buddies. Click it nothing happens. I dont see anything in Home to subscribe too so I figured I have everything I need esp. since my device isnt exactly the latest and greatest with all the bells and whistles but offers the features somehow...

Anyone have any idea? Or is it I'm just not trying those features when I'm in the more dense city areas where I get better rds-tmc reception...

Thanks....

Dump question will get dump answer, how's about that? just kidding, m8 :)

Anyway, AFAIK, all PLUS services are FREE, however, you must have Bluetooth capable cellphone (AND data package) pairing with your GPS .

The only way to get the Plus services working such as Buddies and Weather would be to relocate to Holland and purchase a HD Traffic receiver which would supply the data connection required for these options to work.
Don't bother trying to import this accessory as it will only work in Holland and your TomTom doesn't have Bluetooth to use a data connection via the mobile phone - If the HD Traffic receiver is ever released for USA use then you will get these features working assuming you pay for the device and any associated subscription.
An XL 330S combined with the HD Receiver is very close to a Go-740 in terms of functionality, OK you don't get the mp3 player, picture viewer or phone hands free but from a navigation perspective it is very close, for this very reason I cannot see TT selling the HD Receiver at any time soon, if at all - Mike

I appreciate the help. However this makes little sense too me.

I have 3 options that I havent had luck with (only tried 2 times though) but its Tomtom Buddies, Tomtom Weather, and Tomtom Services.

If I just press the option it will say "Plug in your RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver to access these functions". When I do that it just doesnt do anything when I press the option. Why would it tell me to purchase a traffic receiver if it didnt do anything?

I could have sworn I read a post while searching that someone else had this "problem" but when he drove into Dallas, TX the weather option worked just fine (simple weather, temps wind speed and 5 day forecast).

Is there any documentation I can access for all this stuff? Tomtom keeps everything very vague. The traffic receiver came with a 50 page book but its 10 different languages so only a few pages explain basic functionality.

And yes I love the functionality of the XL. In retrospect I wish I would have waited for the XL 340 since it has IQ Routes and ALG. It has the features I want without all the dumb stuff like mp3 players or whatever...

The Plus services require a GPRS connection to the server at TomTom in order to get the data you need for weather, buddies and services. This is either provided from a built in GPRS modem such as included within the x40 devices, a Bluetooth link to a mobile phone (no use to you as your device doesn't have Bluetooth to make such a connection) or a HD Traffic receiver if you are based in Holland.

The RDS-TMC device is a dumb receiver, it cannot make two way communications therefore it is useless for any of the Plus sevices. I really don't understand why these menu options are left enabled for people to select on a device that is USA specific when there is no possible way to utilize them, the only way you could ever use these is IF TomTom make the HD Traffic receiver available in your country - Mike

Ask a Question