Downloading Maps

Hi,

Total newbie here, i recently bought a tomtom one Uk version, and want to use it in the USA. I registered on the website and installed the Tomtom home 2 software and then purchase the USA map to use when i go their next week. How do i know if this is being downloaded as it is suppose to be? I cant find the map anywhere in the Tomtom home 2 software. I have read all the help text but it seems like it automatically downloads it, but how do i know it is downloading it?

Thanks

Anthony

When you purchased the map, what step did you do then?

If you did download it (you would have known, I think, because it takes a while), you will find it here:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

If you don't see it there, I think what needs to be done is:
1. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. If not sure how, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

2. Then move your existing map folder from the unit to the computer. Use Explorer. Once you are sure it's there, delete the folder from the unit using Explorer.

3. Connect the unit to Home and go to Add Maps. If you did download the US map, it should show it as residing on thre computer. Check to install.

4. If in step 3, it doesn't see a US map, try 'Update my Unit' and see if the US map is offered. If so, select it to install.

5. I'm not sure if your model has a sd card. Let's say it doesn't. Then, once the USA map is installed, you'll want to use Explorer and move the USA map to the computer unitil you need it. Use Explorer to restore the UK map you stored on the computer earlier.

6. When the time comes to go to the States, switch the USA map on the computer for the UK map on the unit.

When i purchase the map, it said that they would email the details too me. I have the email and all it says is that i need to login to TomTom Home and it would do it for me.

I have checked in the location that you suggested and it is not their. I have now done the windows explorer backup of everything. i then removed everthing from the device to see if that would work and still does not give me the option to add the USA map in TomTom Home. When it is downloading a map does it do the usual save / open windows download box or does it do it in the background? I dont think it is downloading anything but can't tell.

Thanks

In Home, there is a menu option for Tools-->Preferences, Folder Options and in that tab, it shows the default download folder. It is the one I showed in my previous post.

Once the map is downloaded, Home immediately installs it, or tries to, to the connected unit.

It does indeed sound as if the map purchased was never downloaded.

Did you go to the Add Maps icon in Home and see whether the US map was being offered as a download?

No the USA map was not available in Home as it is too large for my device. My device only has 512mb and the USA map is 750mb i think. I did speak to TomTom about it and they said i could purchase it from the website then i would be able to just choose the bit i want from map zone. Think i will have to ring them. Thanks for all your help.

Ask a Question