Do I have a faulty battery?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
It really isn't the biggest deal in the world since technically we should be using the car charger anyways, but I recently realized that my battery indicator will never go below around 45%

Once the battery hits that percentage, the unit will just shut off. The ONE XL I had was able to fully deplete the battery and the battery indicator would actually empty out completely and flash (like it should)

Members here have mentioned that the stuttering, crackly voice and surging happens when you operate the device with a low battery. In my case, once it hits 50% battery, I better not dare play my voices above 70% volume or hell happens. Usually when the battery indicator turns orange, (I guess when it drops below 50%) I don't have much time left at ALL.

I haven't tested the runtime of the battery yet, but I do know that I made a 50 min drive 3 nights ago while running the unit on battery, then the next morning when I went to leave, I used the battery again (didn't charge it) and by the first street it surged like a mother. The device wasn't dead though. It woulda maybe had more life if I lowered the volume but just watching the unit surge the way it did freaked me out way too much. I thought it was going to explode, so I plugged it in.

Sage.......you are truly getting fixated by your TomTom. First the loss of sticker (other thread) [btw, I NEVER had a sticker!] and now you're concerned about the accuracy of a battery indicator thingy....

My friend, time for a p-- r---- on yourself!!! :D ;) :p

Sage.......you are truly getting fixated by your TomTom. First the loss of sticker (other thread) [btw, I NEVER had a sticker!] and now you're concerned about the accuracy of a battery indicator thingy....

My friend, time for a p-- r---- on yourself!!! :D ;) :p

Fixated? Nope. Just worried. There's a reason I ask these questions.

I just don't know if it's right for my TomTom to shut off at near 50% battery. If my battery is in fact bad, or something else is, this would be grounds for a replacement by TomTom. Many companies will refuse a replacement if the liquid indicator isn't present. People try to remove the stickers purposely from their cell phones that they dropped in the toilet so the employee at the store doesn't see the "red dot" which indicates water contact/damage. My car has a very sensitive/slightly damaged cigarette lighter socket, so sometimes without me realizing, the charger's light shuts off, and I have to wiggle it again to get it back on, which is why I worry about my battery.

I am a Network Technician/Analyst for Hewlett Packard. CVS has contracted us (HP) to replace their network equipment and replace their hard drive + building a RAID. Every single night, I'm at a different location. Every single night is a new store I have never seen or been to before. At the moment I am replacing/installing/configuring new Cisco switches for CVS Pharmacies and discontinuing use of some legacy equipment they have at the moment. We have almost 7,000 stores and that number keeps growing monthly. Our goal is to complete every store.

CVS is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY strict on staying on schedule. When we arrive at the store at night, we ONLY have a 10 minute window to sign in, or we are marked late, which for this position, can cost us our jobs. Yes, simple tardies are not tolerated by CVS. They will not alow us to sign in early or late. Only the 10 minute window.

They also have me travel around the country a lot. As I type this right now, I am on stand-by incase any tech tonight calls out or can't make it. If I'm not on the schedule that day, I'm almost always on stand-by. I sit here dressed, fully ready to run out of the house when I get the call.

It's not till the very last minute that I get the address and store info. Without the TomTom, this wouldn't be an easy task at all since I happen to have a horrible sense of direction. If there is anything more I hate, is having to read a printed mapquest direction sheet, while driving, in the dark, with the puny dome light my Civic has. My car is a manual transmission as well which doesn't make it any easier.

I rely on my TomTom very heavily to get me where I need to be. It has not failed me once yet. Even in OK, PA, NY, TX, FL, MA, CA it has NOT failed me to get me to a location yet. The way I write my posts, yea it may seem like I'm just "some kid with a new gadget" but that is not the case. Now I see why you guys have a "new members introductions" forums, which I never made use of. :p

And the thing with the zipper breaking on the case, it couldn't have happened at a worst time. I had gotten a deployment call, and was being given the address to the store. I had nothing to write with so like I normally do, I just enter it into the TomTom as a favorite directly. Well upon 4% unzipping, *SNAP* The darn zipper was jammed and the handle broke, and my recently trimmed nails were having the worst time ever trying to open the darn zipper. The TomTom was stuck inside. I was about to rip apart open the case since I really needed to write down the information quickly.

Fixated? Nope. Just VERY dependent on Tommy ;)

At least I don't molest my Tommy's " * hole" all the time unlike some members here *cough* dhn *cough* :p :D I wonder what the wear marks are like on your device :p Just messin.

Hope this clears some things up.

Keep up the work Super Mod!

TomToms, line many cell phones, do not have a linear battery indicator. It appears to be just under 1/2 (on the bar) just before it turns orange - it is then really almost dead. It is not the battery - except for the fact that they put much small ones in these units.

I do not think the gauge will get you a replacement - but if somehow we could get a recall for an upgraded battery - that would be great.

Ask a Question