tomtom go 530 2nd unit faulty?

ime on my second tomtom go 530 not very happy with tomtom at the moment.my first unit developed a crackly voice.my second unit developed the same fault on its first trip, ime lucky i wasnt really going anywhere otherwise i would have been in real trouble,i tride the unit again and the voice guidance was gone no spoken instuction at all.i always update my new tomtoms via home, could there be a problem with the update? its strange to have 2 units develop the same fault.ime wondering if any one else has had the same problem? and how did you resolve it.thanks

Are you operating with an undercharged battery? The unit is meant to be used with the provided car charger when in an auto. what you describe sounds like a symptom of a battery-only operation.

the battery was about %65 .so what your saying is that the unit must be connected using the car charger even if the battery is nearly full otherwise i will get these problems again? i can understand it happening with a nearly empty battery but not when its over %50 charge.

You need it powered up all the time to avoid problems in use with the voice and backlight - I got 2,5 hours out of 940 today before it died due to no power - I stupidly forgot to plug the power lead in to the mount! - Mike

Two faulty Tom Tom 530s

A couple of weks ago I bought a Tom Tom 530 and after charging went through the updating process. At the end of what appeared to be a successful update the device showed a no maps message when it was turned on. Attempts to resolve this by following suggestions from Tom Tom support led to a device that when it was turne on showed the Red Cross and no way to solve the problem and Support suggested getting a replacement from the store (the device was only 1 day old)
With the second machine after connecting to Tom Tom Home I did a back up and then an update following very carefully the instructions from Support. Once again a red cross. I returned this one to the store who could not resolve the problem. I exchanged it for a 730 model and now am trying to pluck up enough corage to try to update it. I am using an Apple Mac.
Can anyone suggest the best way forward

Chas

It sounds as if you are disconnecting your unit before all data is written to flash memory. I'm not a Mac person but in a pc, you should be using the Home-->Disconnect Device option.

faulty Tom Toms?

Thanks for the suggestion. Certainly the second time I used the icon at the bottom of the window to eject the device. Incidently although the Tom Tom could not be started beyond the red cross, if I reconnected it to the computer it was recognised and clicking the icon on the desktop showed that all the new files appeared to be there.
Trying to do a restore from the backup I had made would not work as the back up icon was "greyed out"

This weekend I will use my daughters Windows PC and attempt top back up
Chas

Go 530 VR not on mine

I got a go 530 one month ago and like you updated it to latest App (8.351) through home 2.6.2.1586, and since then it seems to have lost the voice recognition address imput function, as in-It is no where to be found at all on the device, tomtom has given no real responce so far just the auto Email reply. anyone out there able to help ???

I have to ask. Are you sure you had voice recognition (VR) prior to the upgrade?

If so, do you have a bunch of csspeechxx.dat files in your specific map folder?

If so, have you selected a computer voice? If so, do you hear anything when you test the voice?

If so, are the VR icons present? If so, are they active or greyed out?

Have you tried a pin reset?

Have you tried putting a text file called support_asr.dat with nothing but a 1 in it (no quotes, no spaces) in the folder called asr?

Things to check out.................

I have to ask. Are you sure you had voice recognition (VR) prior to the upgrade?

If so, do you have a bunch of csspeechxx.dat files in your specific map folder?

If so, have you selected a computer voice? If so, do you hear anything when you test the voice?

If so, are the VR icons present? If so, are they active or greyed out?

Have you tried a pin reset?

Have you tried putting a text file called support_asr.dat with nothing but a 1 in it (no quotes, no spaces) in the folder called asr?

Things to check out.................
Yes VR was there to start with I had used it, no the icons are not there anymore, I am not realy up to speed with checking if this or that is here or there, but am able to follow instruction on doing so if help available. Thanks for the reply ! Only two cspeech in map folder-GB ROI, to be honest I havent got a clue what or how has hapened to the thingas I said it was there and working but now no icons on function although it seems to be fine apart from that !! Ps, sorry about the duplication of question, just at wits end with it.

Last edited:
A couple of weks ago I bought a Tom Tom 530 and after charging went through the updating process. At the end of what appeared to be a successful update the device showed a no maps message when it was turned on. Attempts to resolve this by following suggestions from Tom Tom support led to a device that when it was turne on showed the Red Cross and no way to solve the problem and Support suggested getting a replacement from the store (the device was only 1 day old)
With the second machine after connecting to Tom Tom Home I did a back up and then an update following very carefully the instructions from Support. Once again a red cross. I returned this one to the store who could not resolve the problem. I exchanged it for a 730 model and now am trying to pluck up enough corage to try to update it. I am using an Apple Mac.
Can anyone suggest the best way forward

Chas

having the same probs wi TOMTOM support , they are a bunch o' ******s , which is why forums like these offer more support than they do....great work admin and mods and members...

Yes VR was there to start with I had used it, no the icons are not there anymore, I am not realy up to speed with checking if this or that is here or there, but am able to follow instruction on doing so if help available. Thanks for the reply !

Again, do you have a computer voice selected? Have you done a reset on the unit?

Preferences-->Voice Preferences-->Select a computer voice. Have you done that?

Ask a Question