Faulty Go530?

Hi

I'm looking for some help with a refurbished Go 530 that I brought a few weeks ago from the TomTom Outlet site in the UK. As I was new to the world of sat navs, a colleague advised me to backup the device, download TomTom Home and download the latest maps when I received it which I did. However I am now experiencing a few issues which my colleague says means the device is faulty but I've heard bad things about TT's customer service so would like to try and fix first.

1) I downloaded the latest version of maps (eventually) when I received the TT but they are not the latest version. I know parts of Yorkshire reasonably well and whole roads, service stations etc that have been there well over a year are not on my map. Apparantly, I'm in a field! Likewise, a huge roundabout in my local city is not there either - these are not up to date maps! When I try to update now, I have to pay but my colleague, with an older TT, never pays for his updates - why?

2) Trying to connect the device to the internet, disconnects the network. Suddenly, I am disconnected. Not sure why this is.

3) I have my TT set to read out instructions but coming up to a roundabout, the voice is out of sync with the screen eg, the screen says 350 yards to the roundabout but the voice says "In 800 yards..."

4) Lane Assistance does not work well. At roundabouts, I am often pointed to the left lane when I can see I should be in the middle lane. Likewise, roundabout directions are often wrong, saying second exit when I can see I need the third exit.

5) Annoyingly, the sucker for the windscreen often comes unstuck and feels across the front, sometimes knocking my indicator on. This usually happens 2/3 times a journey and I have tried everything - cleaning the windscreen and sucker but to no avail.

So, a fair few points! Can anyone help with these or do I have a faulty device? The TT does get me where I need to be to strange parts of the country but these are frustrating niggles.

Many thanks for any help.

Lets start by knowing what is actually on your device in terms of version numbers, switch the device on with it disconnected from the computer, tap the sat strength meter lower right corner followed by the version box on the righ side of the screen, this resultant screen will offer you lots of infomation, I want to know the Navcore version probably something like 8,351 and the Map Version which will look like V850 (or lower). Once we have this information we can see if the device is actually running up to date software and maps.

Why are you connecting the device to the internet and is this via your computer or your mobile phone?

Have you or your mates at work loaded any third party custom POI files to the device?

Mike

That was quick!

App - 8.351
Map - 'United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland' v810.1887

Connecting to check for map updates as I relaised after coming back from Yorkshire that the map was out of date and didn't realise that I'd have to pay.

I haven't loaded anything third party and AFAIK, neither has my mate....

Were you on the A1M South of Ferry Bridge when it had you driving across fields per chance....... (just a guess on my part)

Right now to fix it, the Navcore version you have installed to the device is correct and is the latest but your map is around two years old, connect your unit to the computer and TomTom Home will start up, across the top of this application you will see the word "Tools" click this followed by "Latest Map Guarantee" and this will download/ install the latest map to your device for free assuming your unit was new/ official refurbished by TomTom and less than 28 days old - Mike

No, it was actually the new services off J46 near Wetherby. I stayed at the Days Inn there and a plaque behind Reception stated it had been built in June 2009 so I knew my map was out of date!

Thanks for the advice - That update seemed to have taken a while but gone relatively smoothly. Although I am now being offered four new maps a year for ?19.80 plus six months free and 2 map updates - should I be paying?

Now that you have used the LMG go to the device status page again and double check that you do indeed have V850 mapping installed along with the 8,351 Navcore, map updates take a while depending upon the speed of your internet connection as it will have downloaded around 210MB of new map.

As to whether or not you should pay is entirely up to you but if you enter the map update scheme you will get six new map releases spread over roughly the next 18 months all for the price of ?19:80 which is cheap in comparison to what they used to cost! - Mike

Yes, I do have those versions so that's really good. I'm going to try it out going to work tomorrow and see if I still have the same issues with roundabouts.

Does anybody else have these problems or issues with the sucker pad not working as it should?

Make sure the windscreen and the sucker mounts surface is very clean prior to applying the mount to the screen, a little moisture (spit) rubbed on to the suction pad with your finger will also aid the adhesion - Mike

Ask a Question