Disscussion on map 870

Interesting note on map inaccuracies as discussed elsewhere in the past.

Since about two months Google maps don't have me 8 houses down the road and on the other side of the street but have the exact location according to my street address.

The NA 870 map still has it wrong, like all the others did since the spring of 2009.

I don't use Home for my home address or a street number for my house. I just gave it a name but moved it with Tyre to the exact location.

dash8: same thing happened to my 540. I couldn't navigate to any points of interest, prepare route, etc. after the upgrade. I had trouble during the upgrade, including stalling during writing to memory, and the blue screen of death on my PC, having all maps wiped out, weird error messages, PC wouldn't recognize TT, etc. After I got the PC to recognize the TT again (after reset) I managed to download the new map again. Then I restored the old version using backup just to set back the clock and upgraded to the new map again, and the prepare route etc. didn't work. Kept rebooting too. I hooked it up to the TT home emulator and tried using that. It took a while after I pushed "prepare route", but finally it did it. I added and deleted a favorite using the emulator, now the unit works fine. Maybe the emulator fixes things?

Yes dash8, it is a common bug that the unit locks up after map updates. From the original sticky:

"- Sometimes looking up a POI or address will keep crashing your Tomtom immediately after updating your map. To fix this, look up the same POI/address on the Operate my Device emulator within Tomtom HOME. This will permanently fix the problem (at least until your next map update)."

This has fixed the bug for everyone so far.

Corrections made!

Happily, all of the corrections that MapInsight indicated would be in the next map release are included in 870. I actually received the confirmation over three months ago (a few week prior to 865), but the corrections were not included in that release.

In total, it has taken about 7 months for the changes to be included since they were sumitted.

All this said, only about half of the changes I submitted to MapInsight/Tomtom have been verified and included.

They usually show up within a couple of days of map release. Keep checking, I guess. :)

With the 870 map update, my XL 340 freezes and restarts whenever I try to go into "Navigate to" or "Prepare Route." . . .

You are correct, there is an initial problem with "Navigate to" using the upgraded map on the 340TM. The solution is to first "Navigate to" on the emulator in TomTom Home. Afterwards it should work for you without freezing and rebooting in any "Navigate to" menu items on the GPS. It works correctly for me!

hello people

I have 2 questions:

- What is the difference betwee the maps 865 and 870?

- And what is the difference between the 870 Europe and 870 Europe Truck?

I'm looking for infos about the difference but I can't find anything. Are the new maps still old? :confused:

thx

Do you mean the mechanics of getting a new map loaded to your unit, or do you mean the quality and speed of the process of improving the maps back at Teleatlas?

I'm wondering if the quality and speed of improving the maps has changed over time. I wish they would cross check with Google Maps to see what they are missing.

The way it is working now, when I report a map error it feels like I am sending it to a distant warehouse, never to be seen. It does not encourage the reporting process, and that's unfortunate. It seems like a great idea that has gotten lost.

Thanks for the note Canderson -

hello people

I have 2 questions:

- What is the difference betwee the maps 865 and 870?
That's an impossible question to answer in detail!
They don't publish a complete list of changes made.

But you can guarantee that they will have made lots of road changes, and also that there will be a lot of changes that they SHOULD have made that they haven't done yet!

One thing I know that *has* been fixed is the removal of the western extension to the London Congestion Charge zone.

- And what is the difference between the 870 Europe and 870 Europe Truck?

Truck maps are designed to work with TomTom's dedicated devices for Truck drivers. See here for more details.

The maps have additional details like bridge heights and width restrictions built into them.
They can also help you to avoid small streets, sharp turns & U-turns and they use HGV-specific average speed assumptions

But if you don't have the correct hardware model or equivalent software, then the maps won't give you anything more than a standard one.

Device freezes when pressing "options" button

I just updated to the new map yesterday (May 23, 2011). At first, I got an error after the new map file downloaded, and it wouldn't update the device with the new map. I don't remember the exact error, but it seemed to be an error with the file itself, something like "file doesn't exist" or something. After that, I needed to use the device, so I took it with me on a trip.

Everything worked fine until on the way home, I pressed the "options" button, and it froze up. The options button remained highlighted, but the screen froze and was non-resopnsive for about 30 sec, then the unit rebooted and worked OK after that. I tried the "options" button again, and same thing - it froze and rebooted.

After I got home, I eventually got the update thing squared away and managed to update the device OK. However, I'm still having problems with it freezing when I press "options." I tried it in emulator mode several times and it works OK, but when I try it on the device, it freezes every time.

I've tried all the fixes I could find from the TomTom help site, short of doing a "restore." I actually attempted a manual restore for the first time using Windows Explorer, but when I tried to overwrite the old files on the device, Windows told me I didn't have enough free memory to do that. It seems Vista needs to copy the new files in their entirety before attempting to overwrite. So my only option would be to:

a. Delete all the files from the device first, then do the manual restore, or

b. Use the restore function from Home, which will reset it to its original out of box configuration, because that was the last time I used the Home backup function.

I'm very reluctant to do "a" because I'm afraid something will get screwed up and I'll brick the device. Anyone ever deleted all the files off the device before doing a "manual" restore before?

As far as I know, this only started happening since my first attempt at the new map update, and last I remember it worked fine before that. It just seems the problem is related to the recent map update. I'm curious to know if anyone else out there is having the same problem. If so, does anyone know of an easy fix short of doing a restore?

BTW, I'm running Vista and have an XL350TM.

I'm very reluctant to do "a" because I'm afraid something will get screwed up and I'll brick the device. Anyone ever deleted all the files off the device before doing a "manual" restore before?
Yes. We even recommend it in circumstances like yours. However, you need to be careful when you do so that you do NOT lose your copy of your map. Most times, it isn't necessary to kill that folder - that's only in dire "reformat" situations.

Our initial recommendation is to delete all of the lose files in the root directory of your unit - NO folders are to be deleted - hook up to Home, and let it provide you with a new copy of the application. That often resolves the problem. Reboot the unit after the firmware load. Connect to Home again to see if there's yet another "add on" version of firmware being offered. Do that until it says you are up to date.

Here's the relevant sticky post for the process that assures a backup before you start:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Again, what's important is the map folder (it's called something like US_Canada_Mexico on your unit). Be SURE you have a full copy of at least that on your PC at all times. We also recommend backups of your unit before any major upgrade to maps or firmware. Makes recover much easier if needed.

See if the reload of the firmware resolves your issues before doing anything more drastic than that.

Thanks! I think it worked!

I followed your instructions and deleted (actually moved to a temp folder) all the "loose" files, but when I went back to Home to request an update, it said I didn't need any updates. I moved the files back and forth a couple of times, checking the available space on Home to make sure it was seeing the difference, which it was. Finally, I just gave it another try by clicking "update my device" again, and voila, it worked this time. Weird.

Now I can get to my options menu again! The only quirk now seems to be in Windows explorer, the drive symbol for the Tomtom is no longer the Tomtom logo, but a generic drive icon. When I open it, though, I see what I should see, which is all the files on the device, which is the important thing.

Thanks again for the quick reply to my problem, and for providing the solution!

Finally, I just gave it another try by clicking "update my device" again, and voila, it worked this time. Weird.
Not really. Home was working from the previous "inventory" of what it knew to be on your device when you fired up Home and connected your device. Either through a disconnect or a reboot, or a re-run of Home, it had to go out and pick up the contents of your device again, and realized you had no application and needed one.

I was too brief in my explanation of the process. After deleting the files, it's necessary to get Home to have another and new "look" at the device to realize that the application is missing. A proper USB disconnect (Home or operating system) and reconnect of the device will do it. Shutting down Home and restarting it is the 2nd typical approach to forcing that review of the unit contents.

Just updated my XL-335TM to the new map. Everything seemed to go fine ? just took about 2 hrs (1:20 to download from server; 40 mins to install to device). After (safely) disconnecting TT from PC, it seemed to act slow or sluggishly. It would navigate to recent destination or favorite, but seemed to pause for about 30 or 40 seconds after pressing an icon to be acknowledge. So I connected the TT to PC and used HOME in emulation mode (add/delete favorite) for it to generate a new 'mapsettings.cfg' file. Then it seemed to act normally.

Now to do another backup of the device.

870 could be hazardous to your safety

I was visiting friend this past Sat at Oakland Ca. Normally I would take the fruitvale exit on I 580 west bound. But it was blocked off.

My 2535TM with 870, tell me to take the next exit at 14th street/ave(?), and make an immediate sharp right turn on Macarthur, I followed the instruction. Lucky for me, other driver that was waiting at the exit honked at me not to proceed.

It turned out to be an one way street.:mad: Had I not heard the honking, I can't imagine what would happen.

I can't believe the map have such a serious mistake. This part of the street of Oakland has been there for ages.

I guess you can't really trust the TomTom 100% when you drive.

Ask a Question