Discussion on the newly released map 835

I can also confirm successful map 835 upgrade on a TomTom One 140. Seems that TomTom got this map issue corrected faster than they thought (based on what Tech Support told me).

I agree, they better not blow it again be releasing a map too large for the 140/340 devices.

The map appears to give trouble installing only to owners of the 140/340, but it appears that a new, fixed map was just released.

There are a couple of problems for the 740, both with workarounds:
1) If the 740 doesn't start up after upgrading our map, delete mapsettings.cfg. You'll lose your favorites in this process.

2) If you traffic goes weird after the upgrade, go to mydocuments\tomtom\home\download\complete\maps. Then go to the highest numbered subfolder. Then open the really big zip file and copy traffic.dat and tmccodes.dat from the zip file onto your tomtom map folder.

OK, so I took the plunge and updated my maps. I can't believe that I can not get my favorites and recent destinations! After the update, everything worked GREAT... no reboot problem or anything... then I realized my favorites were gone. So, I followed the link that explained to me how to restore them, as soon as I did, the reboot issue popped up. I am confused why it is so hard for TomTom to come up with map releases that does not loose valuable information. To me, I am hesitant to think that a little out-dated map and KEEPING my favorites might be a little more worth a new map and LOOSING valuable info.

Does anyone know of possibly another work-around to get my favorites back onto my TomTom Go 740 LIVE?

Thanks,
Jon

Convert your old Favourites file into a custom POI file and from this point onwards stop using Favourites or with every map upgrade you might be in the same position with lost data. At least Custom POI files will work accross different maps, devices even platform, a Custom POI file from a TomTom unit can also be used on PPC software or iPhone versions of the software.

You need to get a copy of POIEdit, try Here and use this software to open your old "MapSettings.cfg" file, you will find this in your old map folder. Once opened your Home location and some recent destinations will be shown along with all your favourites, edit the file so its got all the locations you need then choose File/ Save As and select "ov2" file type, name the file "_My Favourites" (without the "" but note the _ at the start of the file name, this puts your custom POI file named this way right at the top of the index, so its easier to find.

If you get stuck or you are not too sure how to do the above e-mail me your old MapSettings.cfg file and I will convert it to ov2 format and send it back, you can then edit locations directly on the device. One other advantage of using the Custom POI method is that you can also store phone numbers against each location, again something you cannot do with Favourites - Mike

Does anyone know of possibly another work-around to get my favorites back onto my TomTom Go 740 LIVE?

1) Downgrade you app per these instructions to 8.310.
2) Then copy mapsettings.cfg from your backup
3) run Operate my GO and rename a favorite
4) Then use home to re-update you app to 8.370.

Based on what I am seeing while installing the new maps with Home, I am wondering if some of the problems are caused by low disk space on the computer for some people, not just low space on their Tomtom. It is something worth looking into, since that is the sort of thing that might be missed by QA.

It seems to be installing fine for me on my 930 with 18 gigs free on my Vista 32 bit computer.

Edit: For those wondering, I have seen problems before where files are downloaded and then uncompressed on the computer rather than the device. If there is not enough room for both the original compressed download as well as the fully extracted files(maps in this case), you can see problems.

I was downloading using a hard wired connection with a 30 megabit connection. And as far as space, I don't think I'm anywhere near full lol

spacee2.jpg

Last edited:
Device-applied changes not affecting routing

If you make a correction such as Block Road, then that road should NOT be utilized in a future route plan.
Please see my Posting just below the above Posting.

So I guess my broader question should be, "What device-applied map corrections actually apply to that device's routings immediately?"

In my case, there's a road missing from the main map that's been in existence for over three years which significantly impacts routing for me. Making the correction on my device (or through HOME) takes this into account.

So I'm wondering about what "takes" immediately and what doesn't, so I know how to direct my correction submissions.

Please see my Posting just below the above Posting.

So I guess my broader question should be, "What device-applied map corrections actually apply to that device's routings immediately?"

In my case, there's a road missing from the main map that's been in existence for over three years which significantly impacts routing for me. Making the correction on my device (or through HOME) takes this into account.

So I'm wondering about what "takes" immediately and what doesn't, so I know how to direct my correction submissions.

The Tomtom will immediately recognize all the changes accessible in the mapshare menu, other than stuff on the "report other error" submenu.

I haven't been around for a few months. So, I made an OS backup, plugged into home for the first time in a couple of weeks, & was pleased to find the new 835 map update.

The updates (map, quickfix, shares) all went smoothly. I did a check for more updates when it was through & received a few additional mapshares. I did lose my recent destinations & favorites, but have long since made a POI "Favorites" group for rapid re-adding. Had to reset the Home location & map colors, as usual, but oddly, the Lat & Long format changed from: "DD MM SS" to: "DD MM.mmm"

About the map update. It's MUCH improved! Looks like two or three dozen of my corrections have been incorporated into it!! :eek:

Everything from simple renaming, to doubling an erroneous one-lane bridge, to removing several nonexistent streets, to redrawing roads with incorrect topology.

It's a little light on adding new streets, but we're rural & nobody's bothered to update the sat images around here.

All in all, VERY nice! :cool:

I have a GO 720 with NavCore 8.351, NA 2GB 835.2419

Last edited:
The Tomtom will immediately recognize all the changes accessible in the mapshare menu, other than stuff on the "report other error" submenu.
Well, indeed that makes perfect sense! Should thoughta that my selfa!
(But, uh, what constitutes "trusted sources" vs. non- ? That's what's kept me from fully utilizing this option).

I have no clue who trusted sources are. Perhaps people who have submitted lots of corrections, that Tomtom has verified are all correct.

I set my mapshare to "reported by many" and don't seem to get any bad mapshare info. (missing many updates, but so far no incorrect updates)

I have no clue who trusted sources are. Perhaps people who have submitted lots of corrections, that Tomtom has verified are all correct.
That would be my hope as that would seem like the most reliable source of user-based input.

I set my mapshare to "reported by many" and don't seem to get any bad mapshare info. (missing many updates, but so far no incorrect updates)
Ditto for me.

I was able to successfully install the latest version 835 on my 140S. When I first started my unit after the install it went into a loop. I was able to fix it by using the emulator in Home to delete one of my favorites. Everything is fine now.

Thankfully the size of the poi database has not been reduced. The sizes of the crpoi.dat and poi.dat files are the same in the latest version of 835 as the earlier version. These files are each about 1 mb larger than in 830.

I have 176 mb of free space on my unit. The only voice I have installed is Susan.

I hope TomTom can avoid a similar fiasco when they come out with their next quarterly update.

Hi theparson,

Congrats on your success. Did you have to delete the original maps first before the update? Did you use wireless internet for the update? I also newly own a 140S. Please advise.

Thanks

I did the update on my 140S and all went well. TT tech. support was very helpful. In case someone else still needs help, all you have to do is delete the old map folder on your unit and also delete voice files that you don't need -but leave at least one computer voice. That was all I did. No need to reset it or mess around with the favorites folder. And the download works fine with wireless internet FYI.

Ask a Question