Discussion on the newly released map 835

New maps (version 835) are being made available globally - I'm performing my backup and will upgrade...

I'll also test if the new HOME still requires this workaround to keep favorites.

And as with all map upgrades - if your Tomtom doesn't start up after the upgrade, follow these steps.

If you're trying to use "Latest map guarantee", and you aren't offered map 835, follow these steps.

Last edited:
I had the same issues with reboots that required this fix. Seems like most, if not all, members will face this issue. More to come - I'll take the new map on a test drive.

Finished my morning commute - first impression is that they weren't kidding when they said they added 500,000 community-provided changes.

My drive to work had a TON of new roads. Mostly parking lots and cul-de-sacs so far, but there is a huge improvement.

Also did a quick route plan for DHN - No lane guidance that I could find in Toronto...

If you're trying to use "Latest map guarantee", and you aren't offered map 835, follow these steps.
Note that LMG is offering many of us (according to TT support) the 830 version, NOT the 835.
TT said they are aware of this and expect to have the LMG fixed later today or tomorrow.

So for those new owners like me waiting to use the LMG, make SURE LMG is offering you the 835, not the 830, before you click download!

If it's the last day of your LMG eligibility, you will probably want to call support and explain the situation.

Thanks for the forum, guys!

ApK

I'm downloading the map now. I was offered the map and quarterly updates when I connected my 140S to Home. It didn't show the file size until I had already purchased it. I don't see how it is going to fit. The map is almost 2 GB.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Same here...........sad that you gotta hold your breath during the process, though......:eek:

I'm getting a message: "This item cannot be used on this device because it needs to be activated first."

How do I do this? I received no code via e-mail.

Have you the updated application?

Try resetting the unit and rebooting your computer.

I'm getting a message: "This item cannot be used on this device because it needs to be activated first."

How do I do this? I received no code via e-mail.

You shouldn't have this problem, the activation file you downloaded must have been corrupted. I'd recommend a redownload. The easiest way is as follows:

1) go to "manage my device" in HOME, and remove the map from your computer.
2) close HOME
3) on the Tomtom, go to the maps folder, and look for the file named USA_Canada_mexico.tlv. Open the file with Notepad and search for the first occurrence of the number "835", and change it to "834". (This makes HOME think you have an outdated map on your device).
4) Open HOME, and do "Update my ONE" to redownload the map.

And as DHN said, make sure you have app 8.414 first.

So far, my 720 updated fine.

My parent's 720 still does not show a new map available even though they have a subscription and got the 830 map OK via it. They will be calling support.

My girlfriend's new 730 is still showing 830 for the LMG. She'll try again tomorrow and call TT support if it still does not show (her LMG 30 days is up the 24th and I told her to wait to use it until 835).

So, 1 out of three for my circle of TT owners.

I tried a reset. No luck.

I restored using Home. I downloaded 835 again and tried to install. I still got the same message.

The error message on the unit itself reads "You cannot use this map on this device: USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P-70."

This seems to be the same problem that some 140 and 340 users experienced when they upgraded from 825 to 830. That earlier upgrade went fine for me. Unfortunately this one didn't.

Have any 140 or 340 users been successful at upgrading to 835?

I must have serious problems. I connected this morning through Home, was offered the new map in the update list, did my Explorer backup and proceeded with the update. It installed and on checking custom POIs and favorites were still there and the unit worked fine with no need for the workarounds or hoop jumping. I'm amazed and very pleased.

Had a problem with the new maps. HOME did not show the latest. Called TS and within 10 minutes he had added the new maps to my account. No hassle ... just done, and in record time. This was my first contact with TS and I am very, very pleased. I just got the 730 on the 12th of this month and was expecting all sorts of problems with TS. Did not happen. Based upon was has been said here, I will download the map after I get a hard wired connection to my network instead of a wireless connection. Should be done later today.

I'm a happy camper so far.

Ask a Question