Discussion on the newly released map 835

Remove the voices folder from the downloaded cab file. You may wish to extract (but don't delete) any cspeechxx.dat files from the map folder for states you don't plan to visit.......then try the install again.......

BUT.............

Why didn't you select the 8-gig sd card for the installation??!! Shouldn't run into a space issue then.

Unless you ran into another issue some are having: You select the card for the install but Home still either tries to install the map on internal or it does install on the card AND internal!!!

I did select the 8 gig for installation. I NEVER select the internal for anything. I went ahead and deleted the map that tomtom home downloaded from my PC and went ahead and redownloaded the map. I didn't touch a SINGLE thing on my device, I only re-downloaded, and here is the message I got just now after waiting another 45 min. It makes no sense since I didn't touch a damn thing on the device. All I did was redownload the map. Gonna try your suggestions now dhn. Thanks!

Edit : I just re-read your suggestions but then realized it may not make a difference. I have about 3gb free space on my SD card. I could just go ahead and delete the map 830 I have on the device, which will bring me back up to about 5gb of free space, but that's WAYYYYY more space than the map needs. Gonna delete the map off of the device now. Will post results. Don't worry, I made a complete backup :)

outofspace3.jpg

Last edited:
OK I deleted the map off of my device. This is my current free space now. Now to try to re-download this stupid map again! Takes forever each time!

Edit : Whoa... deleting map 830 made things worse.. Now the updated map 835 doesn't appear as a download :( Gonna put it back on my device. And yes I've been completely closing and reopening Home every time (made sure NO processes are running)

Edit again : I tried going to "add maps" and saw that 835 is located on "my computer" so I went and clicked "install" and I again got the message that I need 69 GB of space to install the map. This is with the map 830 already deleted from my device.. AHHH!!! Gonna delete 835 from my PC and gonna try ANOTHER download. The first download said I needed 127 GB of space, and the second download said I need 69 GB. I'm thinking its map corruption during download. I hope the super lagging of my PC isn't causing this.

space.jpg

Last edited:
If it does allow for the dl again, just extract the Loquendo folder from the cab file, put it someplace, see if the bloody map installs and, if so, copy back the Loquendo folder.

I tried going to "add maps" and saw that 835 is located on "my computer" so I went and clicked "install" and I again got the message that I need 69 GB of space to install the map. This is with the map 830 already deleted from my device.. AHHH!!! Gonna delete 835 from my PC and gonna try ANOTHER download. The first download said I needed 127 GB of space, and the second download said I need 69 GB. I'm thinking its map corruption during download. I wonder if the super lag on my PC is causing corruption. I'm tempted to restart the PC and go into windows XP and attempt the download there (I dual boot my PC between vista 64 and xp 32)

TT 930/Map 835

Thanks for the clue about modifying a favorite. No amount of resetting stopped the rebooting.

So far - 5 minutes - things look ok, and the POIs look good.

Thanks for the clue about modifying a favorite. No amount of resetting stopped the rebooting.

So far - 5 minutes - things look ok, and the POIs look good.

This just happened to me. After FINALLY downloading and installing the new map through windows XP instead of Vista, my damn device kept rebooting over and over after the map upgrade. I did the "delete a favorite" trick and it fixed it for me. I now officially have a working 835 map.

Go 740 Live & 835 map

The GO 740 Live and the new 835 map are not playing nicely with each other.

The new 835 map disabled my "TOM TOM Traffic services" and after spending 30 min on the phone with Tom Tom support, they had to delete the 835 map update from my account and had me re-download the 830 map. They said this is apparently a growing issue with the new 835 map update and GO 740 Live owners.

Tom Tom support said to wait for the revised 835 map. This issue affects both Mac and PC OS.

Foto2Go

My 920 is running slow with this map. I had to switch back to my 830 map.

THAT is a problem I hadn't heard before. When you say 'slow' do you mean the screen refresh is slow when driving? Did you try a unit reset and the Clear Flash tool found here.

Worth a shot to try rather than having to give up the map, Pedro.

The screen refresh is slow along when scrolling through the options. When I switch to my 830 map, it goes back to normal.
Im going to delete the mapsettings file. If this doesn't work, I'll try to reinstall the map.

How many custom POI files have you got installed to the new map folder and out of those check which are enabled (the Navcore software can sometimes enable the whole lot all on its own folloing a connection to Home) and this is known to slow the map refresh rate down significantly - do a check on the device to see whats enabled - Mike

The same as the 830 map: 2 custom POIs showing LOL
Not to mention I only have 2 factory POI enabled on the map.

Update, I deleted the mapsettings file and ran the flashtool again. It is all fixed :)

This will help others who may have the similar problem.

Hiya dhn :) Unfortunately the map install did not go smoothly. It says I need 124.7 GB of free space in order to install the new map. What the heck? :( Gonna retry the download. Now to wait again! :(

Someone else had this exact problem. I had to get a chuckle out of it when someone suggested the wireless connection caused the file to be corrupt and that was making it think it needed 124gb.

Based on what I am seeing while installing the new maps with Home, I am wondering if some of the problems are caused by low disk space on the computer for some people, not just low space on their Tomtom. It is something worth looking into, since that is the sort of thing that might be missed by QA.

It seems to be installing fine for me on my 930 with 18 gigs free on my Vista 32 bit computer.

Edit: For those wondering, I have seen problems before where files are downloaded and then uncompressed on the computer rather than the device. If there is not enough room for both the original compressed download as well as the fully extracted files(maps in this case), you can see problems.

Last edited:
Valid point and certainly has been a problem for some in the past.

however, in the case of the (again) too large map for 340 users, it affects everybody, regardless of computer hd space available.

Unfortunately, just (another) case of the left hand not telling the right hand what is going on at TT.

Ask a Question