Discussion on the newly released map 835

Map corrections not applied locally

Hello,
This has probably been covered in the past, but couldn't find it:

I would think that certain Map Corrections applied to the device (e.g. new/closed street) would affect the route planning on my device, but this does not seem to be the case. (I realize uploading that correction to TT and having it incorporated in the master maps is a different matter).

Is it true that locally-applied coorections do not affect route planning, or do I have a problem?

Thanks.

TT GO730, v8.351.

If you make a correction such as Block Road, then that road should NOT be utilized in a future route plan.

I purchased a GO630 2 weeks ago and updated the Maps and Firmware via the Home application. Now a week later a new map is released & HOME is telling me that my maps are up to date. So, i call support and they say you only get 1 map update? I thought it was good for 30 days?

I purchased a GO630 2 weeks ago and updated the Maps and Firmware via the Home application. Now a week later a new map is released & HOME is telling me that my maps are up to date. So, i call support and they say you only get 1 map update? I thought it was good for 30 days?

Yes, one update within 30 days...not unlimited updates within 30 days. This is why everyone recommends you wait until the end of your 30 day period...LOL

I have a 140 with the 825 map as shipped. Home is offering up the 835 map :mad:

I called TomTom Support and asked them about the 835 North America (US, Canada, Mexico) map being too big to fit on the 140 and having issues with being signed and they said yes this is a problem. I asked them that since they know about this problem why don't they pull the map update until it gets resolved. They stated that they are not responsible for that and everyone who calls with this problem gets the situation resolved.

I then asked how long it would take until a new smaller 835 map is available in Home - they stated that they found out about this problem on Friday 8/21 and it would take 2-3 weeks until the map is fixed. I can't believe that they don't want to pull the map since they know it won't work.

Some people are going to have this problem, return their GPS, never buy another TomTom product again, and tell everyone they know about it. It's shocking to me that TomTom is taking this risk by letting a faulty map update available to install on devices that can't support it.

In any case I convinced TomTom support that they should release the 830 map for me now so that I can at least have something newer until 835 is fixed. They made a 'one time' exception and said that I can get 835 under the latest map guarantee when the map size issue is resolved.

Did you ask for a confirmation email that they would do that ... just in case? (or at least, provide you with a reference #)

Did you ask for a confirmation email that they would do that ... just in case? (or at least, provide you with a reference #)

I have a case number for another issue. They added these notes onto that case and I have that case number. They also asked me to PDF my receipt for the TomTom One 140 and upload it on the case so that they would have a record of my purchase date. The tech support rep had to get this approved by someone - they didn't offer this to me without me asking.

I basically told them that if they won't do it I'm going to install 835 and call them to fix it. The tech support rep said that that would waste hours of my time and agreed to ask if he could put map 830 in my Home account.

If anyone reading this is waiting to install 835 until TomTom fixes their problem, you should call them, get a case number, and get them to agree to give you map 835 after they fix it - even if your 30 days is up.

Maybe this is why they refuse to pull the map update? I don't understand their strategy. All it is going to do is upset their customers.

Last edited:
I am sure that TomTom can only release 835 to the systems that have more than 2GB of memory. They know exactly what model you have when you hook up to home and it searches for what updates to apply. Very simple logic.

If they don't have the capability to do a simple check before presenting the map, they have much bigger problems. They obviously can check if you are at less than 30 days of ownership to qualify for the latest map guarantee and they know which model you have in order to present the proper map (US only, US/Canada, US/Canada/MEX etc).

I am not suggesting they pull the 835 map for all models - just the models that have 2GB and are experiencing this issue.

Last edited:
The can't fit issue is only affecting Tomtom 140/340 owners.

Call Tomtom back, other 140/340 owners have posted that they routinely add map 830 to those who call, and promise to offer 835 once available. Call back and a different rep will probably be able to do this for you.

The can't fit issue is only affecting Tomtom 140/340 owners.

Call Tomtom back, other 140/340 owners have posted that they routinely add map 830 to those who call, and promise to offer 835 once available. Call back and a different rep will probably be able to do this for you.

Yes - only affecting 140/340 owners - so should be simple for them to stop providing this map to owners of 140/340 that try to update and don't read tomtomforums.

If you read my previous post, they have offered me 830 and I was lucky to read about the problems here before I tried to update to 835.

There are likely a large percentage of owners of 140/340 devices that don't read these forums, don't know there is an issue, and will update to 835 and render their device useless. They will waste hours of their time, possibly return their device to the retailer or end up wasting time of TomTom tech support.

Pull the 835 map for only the 140/340 devices, stop the bleeding... simple.

How much bad publicity are they generating by allowing this to continue and people to post about it online.

People are generating lots of negative reviews on one of the largest online retailers Amazon.com due to these failed map updates, newegg.com etc. Just think if someone like CNET bought one of these devices to review and as part of the review they tried to update their map. Then they post on the review what happened to the device causing thousands of units of lost sales for TomTom...

Last edited:
Last map release, it took them a bit to pull the map, but it was eventually pulled until it could be shrinked. I expect the same thing this time around, Tomtom's just slow to react for some reason.

If they did the math, the overtime to the systems people to pull the map will easily be paid for by the reduced support call costs, and reduced damage to their brand.

Hi:

I hooked my XL 340S up to Home last night, and the 835 map was offered (I'm on the subscription service), and it looks like TomTom has shrunk the map. I don't remember the actual size, but it was under 1.7 GB. I just looked at the TT Web site, and they are still showing the individual map sized at 1989 MB. Based on the issues I had when upgrading to 835, I plan on waiting until next week to make sure there are no problems reported.

What's the last 4 digits of the smaller 835 map number? When tomtom shunk map 830, they changed the last 4 digits to distinguish which version it is.

Yes, one update within 30 days...not unlimited updates within 30 days. This is why everyone recommends you wait until the end of your 30 day period...LOL

Actually, I purchased my GO 630 about three weeks ago and also updated maps and firmware. When I found out the new map was out I tried to use the LMG but was told that I already had the latest map installed. I called CS and explained that I was still within the 30 day time frame. They asked me to e-mail proof of purchase and I'm downloading 835 as we speak.

Actually, I purchased my GO 630 about three weeks ago and also updated maps and firmware. When I found out the new map was out I tried to use the LMG but was told that I already had the latest map installed. I called CS and explained that I was still within the 30 day time frame. They asked me to e-mail proof of purchase and I'm downloading 835 as we speak.

Most members have posted that customer service adheres to the "only one LMG" rule.

All reps have the technical ability to add a map at will. You must have had a generous one on the call.

I hope Tomtom reverses the policy, and allows unlimited map upgrades within the 30 days. It costs nearly nothing for Tomtom, and goes a long way towards customer satisfaction.

Most members have posted that customer service adheres to the "only one LMG" rule.

All reps have the technical ability to add a map at will. You must have had a generous one on the call.

I hope Tomtom reverses the policy, and allows unlimited map upgrades within the 30 days. It costs nearly nothing for Tomtom, and goes a long way towards customer satisfaction.

I absolutely agree with you. It would go a very long way if they'd allow multiple upgrades within 30 days.

I must have been very lucky and had two generous reps when I called. The first time I called I was asked to submit proof of purchase, which I did. I didn't want to wait for their reply and called back. The other rep I got this time was happy to look at my proof and inform the maps department. She said they were experiencing some issue but I would be able to download the map within the hour, which I'm doing right now.

I hope I will continue to be lucky today. I just bought some lottery tickets for the $325 Million jackpot. ;)

Latest map and TT 740 LIVE

I just skimmed through this whole thread, and correct me if I am wrong, but did I read right that this new 835 map IS NOT working well with the 740?

Should I hold off buying this?

Thanks,
Jon

The map appears to give trouble installing only to owners of the 140/340, but it appears that a new, fixed map was just released.

There are a couple of problems for the 740, both with workarounds:
1) If the 740 doesn't start up after upgrading our map, delete mapsettings.cfg. You'll lose your favorites in this process.

2) If you traffic goes weird after the upgrade, go to mydocuments\tomtom\home\download\complete\maps. Then go to the highest numbered subfolder. Then open the really big zip file and copy traffic.dat and tmccodes.dat from the zip file onto your tomtom map folder.

I was able to successfully install the latest version 835 on my 140S. When I first started my unit after the install it went into a loop. I was able to fix it by using the emulator in Home to delete one of my favorites. Everything is fine now.

Thankfully the size of the poi database has not been reduced. The sizes of the crpoi.dat and poi.dat files are the same in the latest version of 835 as the earlier version. These files are each about 1 mb larger than in 830.

I have 176 mb of free space on my unit. The only voice I have installed is Susan.

I hope TomTom can avoid a similar fiasco when they come out with their next quarterly update.

Ask a Question