Dirt roads

Is there any way to disable the "avoid unpaved roads" prompt. I live on a dirt road, in order for me to get anywhere, I have to travel on it. I haven't been able to find the option in the preferences, anybody have any ideas?

I didn't know there was such a option. I live on a dirt road and it shows up on the 720. When I get off the dirt road and turn down my long driveway, which is not listed as a road, the 720 just places me in the vacinity of the named dirt road.

dlehmer, I have an itinerary that includes a one mile stretch of dirt road. Everytime I load that itinerary and start navigation it asks "The current route involves unpaved roads. Do you want to avoid the unpaved roads?". I assume that's what you're talking about...

Unfortunately I don't think there's any way to supress this message, or if there is I haven't found it yet either.

dirt road unblocking

can you not go into

MAP CORRECTIONS

Browse to the track (dirt road)

select it

and set it to unblock.

Harry

can you not go into

MAP CORRECTIONS

Browse to the track (dirt road)

select it

and set it to unblock.

Harry
I don't think the dirt road is marked as blocked (no traffic allowed), I think they are referring to the message that asks if they want to avoid unpaved roads (like the message that asks if you want to avoid toll roads).

I do not believe the road is blocked however.

--Phil

dirt tracks

OK.

i must have un-blocked a paved road.

i did it for something but it was a while ago and i can't remeber the exact details.

Sorry if i caused any confusion.

Harry

I have never seen that prompt - but I would like to. I have been sent down a few roads that to say they were unpaved would be an understatement. No passenger car would have gotten through. And this is with the fastest route mode selected - not shortest.

I have had two map upgrades and countless application upgrades on my 910 - but have never seen that prompt.

dirt tracks

i have been able to use the 'map correction' to BLOCK a track that is basically a foot path.

i just selected it and set it to block.

The fasterst route option was trying to send me down it!

it is a path that is ok for walking oyur dog but nit for driving.

Harry

I have been sent down a few roads that to say they were unpaved would be an understatement. No passenger car would have gotten through. And this is with the fastest route mode selected - not shortest.

The best solution for that is to select the road in browse view then use the cursor menu to select Correct Map > Block/Unblock Road. After you block the road your GPS won't try to use it in a route anymore.

HWG - like Medic says, a blocked road is different from an unpaved road. The TomTom somehow "knows" that these roads aren't paved, although on the screen they look just like normal paved roads. Like other map issues, this probably varies depending on where you live.

type in 8715 Cedar Rd , 44026

Paved in 2001 and still TT says its a dirt road.

So how would one MAPSHARE that kind of information so it would eventually be changed ??

That won't work

If I block/unblock the road, then I won't be able to get anywhere, because I live ON the dirt road, and there is no alternate way of getting home.

i haven't figured out how to turn off that prompt either, but i'd like to. my parents, and my wife's parents both live on dirt roads, so when we're in the area it's a pain.

I get the same thing on my 630, and I haven't found a way to stop the message (unlike toll roads and ferries, which let you deactivate the question)

As for the Mapshare question about how to change the road type from paved to dirt, after you go to the Corrections menu and select the location, one of your menu options is to report the error to TomTom. From what I can tell, that's what you need to do. I had to do this for an incorrectly labelled exit on a freeway; I used all the tricks to rename the exit ramp, the feeder road, etc, and it still shows the wrong name for the exit.

Is there any way to disable the "avoid unpaved roads" prompt.?
Getting in late at the game I wonder if you have the radio button changed to
( o ) Never avoid unpaved roads from
( . ) Ask me when there are unpaved roads on my route.

Change preferences >
Planning preferences (screen 5 of 8 on my 930) >
[Done] >
[Done] >
[Done] >
[Done]>

Screen167.jpg

Ask a Question