Tracking dirt roads not on the map?

TomTom Model(s)
VIA 1505M
Hi,

I have the VIA 1505M. When I am driving on dirt roads which are not on the TomTom map is there a way to "track" the road on the base map?

What I mean is that when using a Garmin, I come to unmapped roads, the route I am driving shows up as a pink track. I can then save the track and it shows up as a road from then on.

I hope I am just missing something in the TomTom set-up which will turn on a similar track feature. Thanks for any help.

Roy

No, there isn't. We could only wish that TomTom would ever add a *.gpx style tracking function to any of these units, but they never have. The older units allowed for the addition of 3rd party software, and at least there was a program you could add that would create a track. But there's no equivalent to the kind of Garmin function you're describing on a TomTom, and since the new ones don't allow for 3rd party software, you can't even save a track, much less see it on the screen.

When I'm in that kind of ditch, I fire up one of my Garmin handhelds with a proper topo map and manage my track (and retrace it backwards if need be) that way.

Thanks Canderson,

That is, obviously, what I was afraid of. Yes, I have a handheld Garmin, too...but, that car-GPS-track feature is really important for me. TomTom for sale. Ha.

Roy

Which of the current Garmin automotive units still support that feature?

Ask a Question