Tom Tom for gravel / dirt roads?

Hi -- does anyone have any experience with TomTom units and dirt/gravel roads? I'm a storm chaser and my setup from the past few yeras utilizes a laptop running Delorme Street Atlas with a GPS puck attached. We storm chasers often end up way off the beaten path, and I was wondering if Tom Tom maps are detailed enough to render all gravel and dirt roads? If so, which unit has the most fine detailed map dataset -- or are they all the same?

Also, are they good for giving a good overlay of available directional options? A lot of storm chasing involves constantly being aware of and prioritizing escape and re-intercept routes; this probably wouldn't be possible from the typical "follow behind the car POV" and would probably work better with some sort of overhead view -- I'm assuming these units can switch to an overhead / birdseye view?

TomTom units do indeed incorporate a birds-eye view. The "better" models (IMO) also offer that view in both north-up and direction-of-travel-up views ... something for you to consider given your particular use model.

I rather suspect you will also want a model that avoids "auto zoom" in favor of one which you can control.

As for maps - I can assure you that my TomTom has placed me on many a gravel and dirt road here in Colorado. In fact, one of the options on (again, IMO) the better units is a selection for whether you wish to travel such roads to begin with. I always opt to do so rather than have it ask me or avoid them.

Whether or not the map is of sufficient detail is something you will have to decide for yourself. As I say, I've covered some real goat tracks with mine, but not everything shows up, and some old roads that have been gated off by municipalities and counties still may show as accessible when they are not (without bolt cutters, that is). I would recommend you take a look "at the source" by viewing sections of the map at Digital Mapping & Navigation Solutions- Tele Atlas, TomTom's source for maps (much like Garmin uses Navteq). The way to do this is to pretend to provide a correction to Teleatlas and have a full view of the map while you are there. This is accomplished at the following link: Map Insight

My TomTom has had some dust abuse to be sure. Providing you don't let too much guck build up in the area between the bezel and the glass (you can clean it out after the fact) that causes it to see phantom key presses, it doesn't much seem to mind.

Current models that provide the full benefit of the brand, including things mentioned above and more, are available as the GO740 and XL340 models.

In your shoes, you might also opt for a larger 5" screen model to improve visibility as much as possible. To that end, have a look at the XXL530 or 540 and XL550 models (NOT the XXL550!)

Last, but certainly not least, is the question of whether in your special (and potentially very noisy) situation, you will need to have the audio from the unit available to send to an amplifier or in-vehicle audio system (like the aux input on a car stereo). If so, the choices are limited to ONE unit ... the older GO630 and GO730 series, still available new in a very few places, but more widely available as a reconditioned unit from TomTom. At present in the U.S., that is the ONLY model that retained the 1/8" audio out connection. The GO630, GO730 and GO740 also include room for an SD or uSD card. While not an immediate problem, it allows for the increasing size in U.S. maps down the road, and simplifies updating them now.

Have I confused you enough?

Hey, thanks -- this is great info! Just want to doublecheck -- does the XL340 have the ability to lock the zoom when in overhead 2D mode? I went on a net-wide infohunt on some of the units you mentioned, and I noticed some complaints from people about not being able to lock the zoom. That'd e a deal-killer for me. Apparently the GO series is definitely zoom-locakable, so I'd probably just look to one of those if the XL340 wouldn't zoom-lock.

Other than that, I think it'd have all the features I'd need. Looking at that site you gave me, the map resolution looks like it'd be more than fine enough; I looked in some of the more rural areas that I'm familiar with and it showed good detail on some pretty obscure roads (actually some of the roads it showed I wouldn't even call "roads" so much as cow-paths, so I doubt I'll get lost, though I might get stuck ;)) The only thing I'd worry about is the small screen and the ability to really see the maps at such a small size, but even the 5 inch models would have this problem in my opinion, and the only solution to this would be to use a netbook or something, which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid in banishing my laptop from the car. :)

The XL340 is kind of a hybrid when it comes to zoom. In 3D mode (cockpit view) you can't shut off the auto-zoom. However, in 2D mode (the one you will likely prefer to use), it doesn't auto-zoom.

That's a problem with the XL540 and XL550 units - you can't shut off the auto-zoom in either 2D or 3D view. In your application, that could be a problem. You most likely will NOT want things jumping around while you're trying to navigate your way out of trouble.

You are correct that the most configurable of the bunch are the GO series. If you don't need GPS audio to the vehicle audio, the 740 is the ticket. It will allow you to configure whether you've got auto-zoom enabled separately on 2D and 3D maps, and will remember your previous manual zoom settings separately for each as well, and will allow you to configure whether the 2D view is north up or travel direction up. I find north up avoids orientation problems when things are happening quickly. I really like that on my 740. Both views stay right where I put them.

The XL340 is kind of a hybrid when it comes to zoom. In 3D mode (cockpit view) you can't shut off the auto-zoom. However, in 2D mode (the one you will likely prefer to use), it doesn't auto-zoom.

Ah, I could live with that. I think I've just about made up my mind on the XL340 -- but I want to doublecheck -- does the XL340 allow the Always-North-Up option in 2D mode, or will the map always rotate to put the direction I'm traveling as up?

I suppose as long as the map keeps some sort of digital compass displayed, an inability to lock the map into north-up mode wouldn't be a deal-killer, but I'd definitely prefer to be able to lock it into north-up if possible.

It's configurable, so you can manage whichever way works best for you. Since your "car" icon has a clear direction of travel indicated by the orientation of the icon, you may find that you really like the 2D with north up, map style.

The 340 non-LIVE will autozoom in 2D. The 340LIVE will not autozoom in 2D.

You could always do "browse map" on any model, and your car will drive around the screen in 2D, non-zooming, north-up mode. The only issue with "Browse map" is that you can drive offscreen, so you have to pan the map manually periodically.

The 340 non-LIVE will autozoom in 2D. The 340LIVE will not autozoom in 2D.

You could always do "browse map" on any model, and your car will drive around the screen in 2D, non-zooming, north-up mode. The only issue with "Browse map" is that you can drive offscreen, so you have to pan the map manually periodically.

This is what I've ended up doing. Even if the maps in 2D didn't autozoom, for some reason the detail level they show at various zooms is way lower than what it shows in map view. With map view I can get a good five mile wide map with all the unpaved roads displayed and it's pannable around with my finger. Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for -- to be honest, I don't know why the 2D view doesn't look more like the map view, since map view is so much more useful!

Ask a Question