Differences between 2006 maps ... Major Roads of Us and Canada' as opposed to 'NA'

whatever...
Ah... you mean this reply! So sorry if you think this was not called for! I mean come on! Guam and Puerto Rico, last time I checked anyway, are ISLANDS, and North America is a continent!

They may be part of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, but certainly NOT part of North America!

If you think I was rude for this.... you need to grow a bit thicker skin.

But... as a moderator here on this site, and YOU being the first person I seem to have insulted in my 1000+ posts. I will apologize again to you cenfu. You apparently had a sincere question and I was obnoxious and abrupt in my reply.

PS...

cenfu. I would also like to apologize for my reply in this thread about your question for this reason. When I replied I was on medication for a severe inner ear infection. The meds forbid me to drive or pretty much anything else as they cause me to be "loopy" as fanchee had put it before...

so.. apologies once again.

Battom:

Thanks to your urgings in red, I ordered and received the new map version 665 and installed it. The presentation/wrapping was outstanding and came with clear instructions. These are in some contrast to the on-line and also printed manuals that came in the kit. It seems there are two outfits involved, with the map upgrade folks taking first prize.

As a newbie (just got a Go510 a few days ago), I too am somewhat concerned/confused about map updates. Sure, I notice that there is a new map update available for Canada/USA, and it is being offered free (except for $6 shipping), but heck, I just got the unit, and now I already need to update the maps?!?

Come on now.. just got the unit and it is out of date!?! Ok, so maybe it was on the shop shelf for a while, but nonetheless, it leaves me wondering how often updates are issued and how ofter I will need to update my maps?

And from the looks of it, other than this special promotion, I will need to pay full price for future map updates, which I believe runs around $150.

Most software companies offer free upgrades, or at least upgrades at a fraction of the cost of the original price. I am somewhat disappointed that future map upgrades will be made available at full cost only... or am I wrong?

Being unfamiliar with GPS units from other companies, I wonder if this map update policy of paying full price for an update is unique to TomTom, or is that also the policy with other GPS manufacturers?

Welcome to the TomTom community, Pilaar39!

Now about the maps. These are supplied by third party companies: TeleAtlas (most TomToms) and Navteq (Garmin) are the major players. So the maps are not made by the hardware manufacturer. All have a policy of offering low-cost upgrades to recent buyers, but afterwards, you pay full price.

For example, I own a TomTom ONE v1 bought in France last summer. I don't qualify for the $6 deal.

Updates seem to be yearly (sort of). But don't feel obliged to shell out money each time one comes out. It's like computer software - you can go quite happily for years with an older version. It's when you run into something you can't do but need to do that you upgrade.

I see you are in Toronto (like me). The roads in most of the city are not going to change much. The new roads are out in the surrounding suburbs, so if you do a lot of travelling out there, you may feel a need to upgrade more often.

So take advantage of the $6 deal. There probably won't be another major upgrade for another year. As to what TomTom wants to charge for that one, we'll have to wait and see.

>> Come on now.. just got the unit and it is out of date!?! Ok, so maybe it was on the shop shelf for a while, but nonetheless, it leaves me wondering how often updates are issued and how ofter I will need to update my maps?

How long do you think it take from a product to come from an assembly plant, crossing the Pacific in ship, then displayed on the shelf ?

>> And from the looks of it, other than this special promotion, I will need to pay full price for future map updates, which I believe runs around $150.

It's 49$ for non-qualified users (this time). Buy a Garmin and tell me how much it costs for upgrades. They even sell their POI.:D

If you are interested in a specific POI (camping for me) you'll find plenty of free stuff on the net. I think I can live with my 510 for quite a while without paying for an (or several) upgrades. That's the main reason why I buy TomTom. Hacks like POIEdit, Tyre & GoogleEarth , TripMaster ... make TomTom a great tool, and they're mostly free.

lec510... are you quoting someone? I can't seem to follow your posts when you try to quote someone. Is the quote link not working for you?

So I don't understand the complaint about the $6 upgrade... are you saying you'd rather pay the $100+? Usually GPS companies will offer one 'free' upgrade so that the end user has a positive experience having the 'latest and greatest' maps. They are not going to do this more than once per user as this is their revenue stream. I would guess that by the time that the next maps come out that there will probably be a bigger and better TT and rather than buy new maps, you'll be buying a new GPS.

So I don't understand the complaint about the $6 upgrade... are you saying you'd rather pay the $100+? Usually GPS companies will offer one 'free' upgrade so that the end user has a positive experience having the 'latest and greatest' maps. They are not going to do this more than once per user as this is their revenue stream. I would guess that by the time that the next maps come out that there will probably be a bigger and better TT and rather than buy new maps, you'll be buying a new GPS.

If you were referring to me, I am not complaining about the $6 upgrade. In fact, I have already taken advantage of it - now just waiting the 3 to 4 weeks for delivery. Unfortunately, there was no option to download it, like most software upgrades. Yeah, I know it is about 1 GB in size, but that is nothing to download in today's world. It would have been nice to have the option.

This is obviously my first experience with GPS and its software and maps. So I am not aware of the usual upgrade policy of other GPS companies. I come from the PC world where software upgrades are the norm, and in most cases are offered at a discount to existing owners of pervious versions. I guess I was expecting too much in the way of an upgrade policy for future map upgrades. And yes, I live in a area that is constantly developing and expanding, so new roads are the norm. So, new maps will be necessary on a regular basis.

And I can't recall exactly where I saw it, but I believe a complete set of North America maps will cost about $150. That to me is a bit steep.

So, Ok, I will shut up for a year and enjoy my $6 upgrade while I can.

We are glad to answer any questions.
I was first happy with my region map and I noticed I didn't need an update.
I can tell the difference with the new maps, such as POI, and when your navigating through a street where you turn right then left in a short distance, it will show you both arrows on the bottom screen.

Just note that there doesn't appear to be any changes in Canada (other than the removal of Tim Horton's from the USA_and_Canada map. Your map (North_America) for the Go510 may still have Tim Horton's in the new map.

Just note that there doesn't appear to be any changes in Canada (other than the removal of Tim Horton's from the USA_and_Canada map. Your map (North_America) for the Go510 may still have Tim Horton's in the new map.
The Tim Horton's issue is of vital interest to us Canadians! Could be a deal breaker!

I ordered my upgrade and it came in less than a week. They ship it out faster than the Web page says. Map upgrades for GPS units are a fact of life. I used to use Mapopolis on my Pocket PC and ran into the same upgrade situation, but it cost $100 to buy the new maps which I don't need now that I have my TomTom.

Tyre & GoogleEarth can bail you out nicely in case you are stuck with TomTom.

ID=North_America.pna
build=1293
id=65058
SIZED @ 1.4 GIGS
&
ID=USA_and_Canada.pna
build=1293
id=64682
SIZED @ 896.4MB

i use the 1.4 gig on my TOMTOM GO 700

Ask a Question