Anyone seeing 740 Live traffic differences?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom 930
With the very recent changes to TomTom's Live traffic (psuedo-HDTraffic?), what's the general consensus with the quality and coverage? Are current 740 owners seeing a difference, and if so is it positive or negative? Or perhaps there's no significant changes?

I've seen significant improvement on the 740, it covers many more streets that it used to, the streets it covers are far more accurate than they were.

It was a gradual improvement, multiple small but noticeable steps every couple weeks since last October.

But the cumulative improvement is pretty substantial.

I still haven't seen any announcements from Tomtom on whether the 740LIVE will get HD traffic, or whether these improvements are unrelated to the HD traffic launch.

Definitely seeing more non-highway arterials covered than before. It's been odd to look down and see colors and arrows on something other than an interstate.

Any sense of the accuracy? I've seen a few comments indicating that overall coverage seems to less, and more of the reported incidents seem inaccurate on the TT HD traffic reporting via on-line website. Your 740 traffic isn't matching what's seen there is it?

Haven't tried to match my 740 to the online site. Will have a look next time it's in the house. Accuracy seems slightly improved (somewhat less delayed information on both initial incidents and clearing of incidents).

What I'm seeing on my 740 appears to exactly duplicate what I'm seeing on the map here: Live Traffic

Any sense of the accuracy? I've seen a few comments indicating that overall coverage seems to less, and more of the reported incidents seem inaccurate on the TT HD traffic reporting via on-line website. Your 740 traffic isn't matching what's seen there is it?

A few months ago, all the interstates in Boston used to light up with average traffic over a longer mileage span. Now the delays are more specific to the particular mileage of the interstate that is experiencing the delay. So while it looks like less coverage, for me it's far more accurate.

For the last 1-2 weeks, I haven't found a single jam (highway or sidestreet) that was more than 2 minutes different from the delay reported on LIVE traffic.

I've noticed something strange in Boston though, all the major traffic jam spots are suddenly surprisingly clear. I wonder if the combination of these LIVE traffic improvements, plus Google's new Airsage rerouting, has enough people avoiding traffic that it is making an impact on the actual congestion. Of course it could just be the high unemployment and high price of gas.

Last edited:

Ask a Question