2GB map differences?

ApK

Does anyone know the differences between the maps that are formatted to fit 2GB devices and the ones that are not?

Tomtom support says there is no difference.

I don't believe it for a second.
If that were true, then it seems that ALL the maps would be in the 2GB-type formatting. Why store and deliver larger files and why maintain two different formats if there is "no difference?"

ApK

Some of the curves on the roads will show less nodes and therefore not appear as smooth on the map display, this is only noticable when two devices are side by side running the two different maps making comparison easier. Other items that will reduce are the built in POI files and some of the countryside colouring seen on the display. Both types of map will have the same road data though - Mike

Thanks Mike.

Do you happen to know what sort of POI differences there are? POI files are so small (and I have so much internal space available for custom POIs) I can't imagine what they are saving.

The European POI.dat files are 52MB or 65MB in size, there are other maps where the built in POI file can be as small as only 3MB the main file saving is in the map data though rather than the POI file - Mike

Does anyone know the differences between the maps that are formatted to fit 2GB devices and the ones that are not?

If that were true, then it seems that ALL the maps would be in the 2GB-type formatting. Why store and deliver larger files and why maintain two different formats if there is "no difference?"

ApK

I don't know which is more frustrating - the idea that they think we're stupid enough to believe such BS, or the idea that they're so stupid that they don't even know it's BS. Either way, it's a bad support experience when the customer is lied to just to make them go away.

The difference in USA maps is entirely POI-based. The 2GB map has about 150mb in POI data, the non-2GB map has about 350mb in POI data. I consider the 2GB map as mostly useless for POIs outside of gas stations and restaurants. Most other files are approximately the same size.

However, in map 860 the crpoi file was excluded, so the files above got a lot smaller, while the same 2:1 ratio remained.

The difference in USA maps is entirely POI-based. The 2GB map has about 150mb in POI data, the non-2GB map has about 350mb in POI data. I consider the 2GB map as mostly useless for POIs outside of gas stations and restaurants. Most other files are approximately the same size.

However, in map 860 the crpoi file was excluded, so the files above got a lot smaller, while the same 2:1 ratio remained.

Interesting.

Since I have more than enought space (not to mention an SD card) can the full POI set be obtained seperatly?

Truthfully, I haven;t found the POIs especially lacking, though I must say I mostly use them for restaurants. Ijust hate the thought that I'm missing something.

What is the crpoi file?

ApK

When you select a specific poi on the Browse map, if there is more information (such as phone number, etc.) that information is in the crpoi.dat file.

When you select a specific poi on the Browse map, if there is more information (such as phone number, etc.) that information is in the crpoi.dat file.

And they've taken that out of the all the newest maps?!:mad:

I certainly can't be the only one who used that data. The two things I used POIs for are restaurants and, occasionally, finding a nearby hotel, and I'm frequently used that data to call ahead. I'm ticked they would silently rob us of a feature with an 'upgrade'! Are they trying to devalue the product to sell other services, or what?

I certainly can't be the only one who used that data. The two things I used POIs for are restaurants and, occasionally, finding a nearby hotel, and I'm frequently used that data to call ahead. I'm ticked they would silently rob us of a feature with an 'upgrade'! Are they trying to devalue the product to sell other services, or what?
What!!? You mean if we update to the 860 map we will no longer have the crpoi.dat file? On my back ups, I see that file and it's 218 meg in size. Maybe that's why the 860 (for the 2 gig devices) is actually smaller than the 855 map. :rolleyes: (see this thread: https://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/24037-map-860-vs-855-a.html)
I wonder if we can copy over that file to our 2gig devices?

Last edited:

The POI.dat file contains location coordinates, name, and phone #. So you won't lose call-ahead capability.

Crpoi contains the POI's mailing address, and some subcategory info (eg: restaurant cuisine, etc.)

The POI.dat file contains location coordinates, name, and phone #. So you won't lose call-ahead capability.

Crpoi contains the POI's mailing address, and some subcategory info (eg: restaurant cuisine, etc.)
Oh good! Thanks for that 'mvl'. :)

Ask a Question