Difference between iPhone Apps

Can someone tell me the difference between the following apps

TomTom Europe
TomTom Western Europe

On the face of it the first one is more expensive and has more maps but looking at the download sizes TomTom Europe is 1.83GB and TomTom Western Europe is 1.85GB. So does that mean I get less detailed maps if I go for TomTom Europe as this would suggest?

Thanks for any help

Colin

It's hard to say.

Map data is actually the most compressible, and 20MB can store a fair amount of compressed data depending on what the data is. TomTom includes a pretty big baseline of graphics/etc that is shared. Without knowing how big the baseline is, it'd be hard to say how much low-level detail they threw out on the map itself.

Official Tom Tom Response!?

I guess I am dreaming but it would be nice to get an official response from Tom Tom on this! I don't wish to pay more and get less quality on Western European countries.

Perhaps they ship with different versions of the maps, the full European ones not having been update? Perhaps they use different compression technologies?

Anyway, when paying for such expensive data it is the least we can expect, a clear indication of the quality of that data, compared to similar products.

Someone from Tom Tom please?

Thanks in advance,
Ashley.

Ask a Question