Did I just get screwed??

I did use a London address and had no problem purchasing the map. The map is sitting there on my update page. As I stated, there is a memo that the map won't work with my model and HOME2 won't allow me to download it. I'm sure it would work if I could get it. This may be a new issue with TomTom.

Well I must say that I'm very pleased with the outcome. It took alittle work on my part and NONE from TT Support. Never talked to them once.

Anyways, the outcome is great. As I mentioned the DL did not go well lastnight to my XLS device, however it did download to the hard drive, thank God.

All I did was deleted the US and Canada folder off of the 2gig card, then created a folder (BTW I have a card reader on my desktop) named NorthAmerica. Then I went to the folder with the NA file which came all zipped up, I unzipped these files and exported them to the NA folder on the card.

Word to the wise, you will have to create an address in the UK, I did a google search and found an address.

After unzipping everything to the NA folder on the card, I turned the GPS on and everything worked with the NEW map, I then proceded to log into TT Home UK site. No updates to download, great cause you can see the version in my signature below.

Then I added all the free stuff POI's, Voices and such. It did change some settings that were easy enough to fix and it erased all my favorites I had saved but no big deal, I'll just create them again.

From what I can see from playing with the unit some, there are some improvements to the mapping. A better test of that when I drive into work tomorrow. Over all I'm pleased. Another word to the wise, from what I can tell is all the upgrades will have to be done logging into the UK site...no biggie to me on that issue.

Lobo : How did you get the map to download?? Did it just pop up in Home and let you download it? How long ago was that?

DHN: I just tried to change the kind of device I have on the homepage and I changed it to a GO 920. I reconnected to home and home still reads the device as a One New Edition.

I think somehow Home has to be fooled into thinking I have a 920 before it will let me download it.

When i created the UK address (fake one) i listed my device as the 720, as mentioned above it did not dl to my gps device but did dl to my hard drive. This was about 3 weeks ago. It took a couple of days for it to show up to download.

All I did was deleted the US and Canada folder off of the 2gig card, then created a folder (BTW I have a card reader on my desktop) named NorthAmerica. Then I went to the folder with the NA file which came all zipped up, I unzipped these files and exported them to the NA folder on the card.

If I were a Brit, it is here where I can say, "Well, I'll be gobsmacked!" (I think that is the phrase ... :p )

Anyway......I'm amazed. You just extracted the contents of the zipped map file to the folder WITHOUT having TTHome do the installing and you are NOT getting a 'no maps found' error!!

That method had never worked for me or others who tried it. Good going!

Believe it or not DHN it did work...i was amazed myself. However it did work (the XLS) 98%, one day coming home the unit glitched on and off for some odd reason. So, this raised my concerns and I wipped the card clean and had home load it for me onto the card and has been flawless ever since.

I've been emailing back and forth with customer support. Here's the latest. Bet you can't guess what they said!

"Dear Jonathan,

The North America is not meant for the ONE series and will not work with them. We can replace it with the USA & Canada map (same coverage) with your permission.

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team"

And here's my response:

"I realize the NA map was not meant for the One. However I have been using an upgraded (4gb) SD card for the past year with the older 6.5 NA map. This will work with my One. I have friends that have done this exact same thing as I'm trying to do with no problems. I'd like the map I paid for. Thanks."

<sigh> This is ridiculous. If I do actually get my NA map, next time I'm just going to get the USA and Canada map. This isn't worth the hassle. TomTom needs to make the process for downloading maps the same across all their regional websites. It sucks for us but if they don't want people installing maps that aren't "meant" for a particular model, make it so you can't even download it. It would be as simple as having to put in your device code or S/N before you can download anything.

When i created the UK address (fake one) i listed my device as the 720, as mentioned above it did not dl to my gps device but did dl to my hard drive. This was about 3 weeks ago. It took a couple of days for it to show up to download.
:confused:

So, I have a couple questions. First, what kind of internet connection do you have, and how long did the file take to download. Second, what do you mean it took a couple of days to show up to download? Does this mean that you made th request on the website, then downloaded it using HOME? I thought you could D/L the file directly from the website immediately upon purchasing it.

Ask a Question