Did I just get screwed??

TomTom Model(s)
One
So I just bought the new NA maps off the TomTom UK site.

I did a backup of my One
Deleted my old NA map
Then I went to download the new map 920 NA map using my UK login and I get this message in home:

This item cannot be installed on this type of device.

It won't even let me download the map to my computer.

Somebody please tell me I just did something wrong and that I didn't just blow about 70 bucks on a map I can't install. Everything I have read on this forum led me to believe this would work just fine. I'm seriously ready to start throwing things.

I've seen this type of issue reported before and a simple call to TomTom support corrected the issue.

I believe it is a glitch with TomTom HOME, but give support a call...

Tech supports says that they are updating Home right now which could be causing the problem. She said that it could take a couple days for it to show up and able to be downloaded. I dunno. I have a feeling TomTom has changed something so that maps can only be installed on the intended devices. If that's the case, I'll call back and see if they can take the NA map off my account and give me the USA + Canada with a regional map of the NE.

This is what I get for tinkering :eek:

Ah okay, how long ago did you download it? The one on the site says 2056mb, and that file size hasn't changed in weeks, so I'm assuming it's still the 7.10.1584 and not the new 7.10.1609.

Ah okay, how long ago did you download it? The one on the site says 2056mb, and that file size hasn't changed in weeks, so I'm assuming it's still the 7.10.1584 and not the new 7.10.1609.

If it's been that long I would assume it's still the 7.10.1584

I downloaded it about 3 weeks ago...give or take a few days

If it's been that long I would assume it's still the 7.10.1584

I downloaded it about 3 weeks ago...give or take a few days
Yeah, it definitely is the 1584 map then. I've just been waiting for the 1690 map, since the other v7.10 maps were updated, so I assumed the 920's would have been too. Hopefully the release it before the sale ends.

Tech supports says that they are updating Home right now which could be causing the problem. She said that it could take a couple days for it to show up and able to be downloaded. I dunno. I have a feeling TomTom has changed something so that maps can only be installed on the intended devices. If that's the case, I'll call back and see if they can take the NA map off my account and give me the USA + Canada with a regional map of the NE.

This is what I get for tinkering :eek:

I really hope they don't do that! I was planning to use the NA maps next year when the new version is released, using an SD card. I wish Tom Tom was aware that this in fact is possible. I've read that they have told people that it couldn't be done. I think that's the best use of the SD slot...using it for a map that exceeds the memory capacity of the internal memory! But, what do we know...we're just customers! :D

Just tried it again. Still says can not install to this kind of device. :mad:

Correct me if I'm wrong, please, but isn't your model limited to a 1 gig sd card and 1 gig memory? If so, NA Maps (that, at best, are still over 1 gig in size)will not fit on the sd card; only the USA & Canada map will because the size is less than 1 gig.

That could be why you are getting the message you are getting.

As I understand it, your model is an either/or situation between the internal memory and the sd card. By that, I mean the map AND operating system have to be both in memory or the card for the unit to work properly. In the
x20 models (720, 920), the card memory & internal memory work in conjunction with each other. So, in a 720 with its 2 gigs internal storage and, let's say, a 4 gig sd card, the functionality is such that the effective memory is 6 gigs. So, in that model, users can put 1 map in internal memory and other map(s) on the sd card and switch between them as needed.

I have a v2 running 7.10 on a 2 gig card.

One thing I did was remove the voice files as the One doesn't support them.

It can be done.

Can't download North American Map

Same thing here. I have a XL-S with a 4 gig SD card and it works fine. I purchased the 2 gig North American map using the UK site. When I try to download it using HOME2, it says "This item cannot be installed on this kind of device" on the updates page.

As has been mentioned in many other threads, you have to get the map from their homepage (www.tomtom.com) and make up a fake UK address and so on... I'm sure if you did a search, you'll find several people who have successfully purchased the NA maps and put them on their device.

No problem purchasing...just downloading

I did use a London address and had no problem purchasing the map. The map is sitting there on my update page. As I stated, there is a memo that the map won't work with my model and HOME2 won't allow me to download it. I'm sure it would work if I could get it. This may be a new issue with TomTom.

I did use a London address and had no problem purchasing the map. The map is sitting there on my update page. As I stated, there is a memo that the map won't work with my model and HOME2 won't allow me to download it. I'm sure it would work if I could get it. This may be a new issue with TomTom.

What happens if you go to the website and say you have a TT720?

Ask a Question