Customer service hell involving invalid map code

Well I just got off the phone with CS regarding my 1 year free maps fiasco. I told her it wouldn't work. She asked me to send in a copy of the retail receipt and I told her I didn't have one, that I bought it brand new still shrink wrapped off of Craiglist. She said she couldn't do anything. I asked her "What about the people that get one as a gift from their aunt back east?" She put me on hold to talk to her Sup. Came back asking if I had any trace of transaction. I said no typically Craigslist stuff doen't work like that. She says "So he could report it stolen?" :confused:

I asked if I call the guy back and get a receipt would that work? Put on hold. She comes back stating that the code is non transferable. I told her that it's was unopened and unregistered. She says she understands it frustrating but there's nothing she can do. Sucks.

I asked when the next map release is. I don't want to buy 7.15 and have 7.20 come out next month. CS said they can't say officially, but they do updates once a year and the last one was in Feb.

Had I known all this I would have just gotten it at BestBuy.

James

James, here is something for you to try.
Connect your TT to your computer.
Backup your NA Map to a seperate folder (copy and paste) then go to TTHome and the "remove items from my device" page
Remove only the NA Map
Click tools remove device, then turn off TT and close TTHome.

Log on again when it scans your device it could very well show the latest map available. as it will not see any map.
If it doesn't show, click on latest map guarantee and check for any available.
You have nothing to lose except a few minutes.
If it doesn't give you the new map, you can easily copy and paste your saved NA Map back to where it came from.
According to TTHome http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=7910&Lid=1 they are no longer using the code in the box.

Sidney

Last edited:
I doubt this will work because the maps are tied to the email address he will use to logon to TTHome. That same email used to logon to his MyTomTom online account will list all the maps for his device. If 7.15 is not listed under his My Maps, i doubt TTHome will show it as an available update for download.

When TT support made 7.15 NA/EU maps available for me, they always asked for my email address. This same email address ties my maps and my TT Plus Services all together in MyTomTom online account.

Good luck, but if this does work, make sure to start a new thread and let everybody else know.:)

Free map update

Their logic astounds me when they start dicking around with customers like this.
Purchased mine via E-bay, shrink wrapped, update doesn't work, so from now on, during my ownership I will spend an hour or so on the hack and cracks, downloading the ripped maps and installing.
I don't condone piracy, but when these halfwits start cynical rip off shit like this they will not get another penny out of me, it's their loss.
Their poor customer support drives the pirate community.
An otherwise very happy owner ;-)

OK...So you cannot prove that you purchased the device...so you very well could have stolen it...sure, they'll give you what ever you want! GET A F!@#IN clue!

If I'm buying a $500 device, I get it from a reliable source, with a receipt. The way I see it you screwed your self by try to get a DEAL on it.

Your are telling me that in this computer day and age you can't make your own receipt? You can probable make one that looks better than the original.

The real proof is that it was or wasn't ever loged onto TTH and when it was first used. If it was ripped off then whoever lost it should have reported it. I have seen on here that someone even sent in their pay-pal reciept and it was good enough.

Ask a Question