Computer Voice Problem

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
Hi folks.
I updated my 720 via Tom Tom Home 2.3
Played around with the preferences and now my computer voices won't work, - they did before!

TTHome tells me that my computer vioces are located in M: (internal memory)
in the foder 'loquendoTTS'
I also found them in the same folder in my L: (memory card).

Since I didn't move the files I'm guessing they are where they should be.

when I 'change voice' I don't have access to computer voices, only the normal voices.

In my 'Voices' folder in M: I see Susan.tlv , Kate.tlv , Dave.tlv , Simon.tlv and are all 2kb in size

In my 'Voices' folder in L: I see the same but Simon is missing

Any thoughts how I can get my computer voices to work again??

Try to download them through Home. Add Maps/Voices, THEN arrow roght 2 screens and you'll see Computer Voices. Select the ones you want to dl and install.

Hi folks.
I updated my 720 via Tom Tom Home 2.3
Played around with the preferences and now my computer voices won't work, - they did before!

TTHome tells me that my computer vioces are located in M: (internal memory)
in the foder 'loquendoTTS'
I also found them in the same folder in my L: (memory card).

Since I didn't move the files I'm guessing they are where they should be.

when I 'change voice' I don't have access to computer voices, only the normal voices.

In my 'Voices' folder in M: I see Susan.tlv , Kate.tlv , Dave.tlv , Simon.tlv and are all 2kb in size

In my 'Voices' folder in L: I see the same but Simon is missing

Any thoughts how I can get my computer voices to work again??
My computer voice does not work when connected to HOME.

If you want to test them in a Demo you add noautosuspend.dat so your 720 will not shut off after 3 minutes or less.

Since your computer voices are in your Loquendo folder they should work.
If you get a message telling you the voice you selected is not available click on Cancel and carry on. It is there in spite of the warning.

Thanks for your help, but my computer voices are back.

I don't know how I did it, but after posting my message I went back to the tomTom and spent more time with the settings. I also deleted some of the standard voices as I don't use them. All this was to make more room in TT although I did already and should have had more than enough space. In anycase I was able eventually to get my computer voices back so all's well that ends well.

I do have some more questions and as soon as I collect my thoughts I'll post them.

Once again, thanks for the help.

Regards,

RR

I'm having my 1st Computer Generated Voice problem

Last week my 720's LCD screen died and TomTom replaced it with a brand NEW unit [not a refurb]

The unit came with Susan's CGV

I've always used Dave and proceeded to download his voice thru HOME and it's displayed in my list of available voices.

I select it, but will not speak. I try the test...it won't say nuttin

I download a British CGV and get the same results. NUTTIN !!

But, Susan continues to work flawlessly

IDEAS ?????????????

Besides sticking with Susan??? :eek:

Did you try a pin reset, Chilly? I'm at a loss right now to think what else to try if the voices aren't working. Do you have a space issue on your unit (I know I would never have the room on internal on my 720 for other voices than Susan).

In other words, do you use a sd card? If not, when you use Explorer to look at the contents of your unit and you look at the Loquendo folder, is there a sub folder for Dave there (as well as Susan)?

You might want to try this: BACKUP your complete unit using Explorer, not Home. Make sure hidden files/folders are showing. NOW, use Home to remove Susan from the unit. Now, does Dave work? (You may want to reinstall).

If you DO have a sd card, is your map on it? Is the Loquendo folder there with the Dave folder inside it?

Some things to consider ...

I have found when you use preferences to change voice, it will ask if you want to use just english voices...select the "NO" button when prompted and all of your voices can be selected.

I have a 730 and have problems with the computer voices using a SD card. If I try to add Susan to the SD card, I cannot select it or I cannot hear it. I wanted it on the SD card to save space on internal memory. The only way I could get Susan to work was to do the following using Home:

Remove it from the internal memory.
Change device.
Remove it from the SD card.
Remove it from the computer (the is a 2nd tab on the remove screen which is for the computer itself).
Disconnect the 730 safely.
Power down the 730.
Turn it back on.
Connect it back to the computer.
Ask it to load computer voices again.
Now it goes back to the internet, downloads the voice, and installs it on your internal memory.
I cannot get it to install soley on the SD Card.

My experience

Hi RR from an Adeladian

Firstly, glad to hear you've resolved issue.

I have TomTom Home 2.2.2.83 & have found that when I use option "Operate My Device" I cannot select any installed Computer Voices.

However, when I undocked the GO 720 (out of box firmware 7.020?) and go to Computer Voices they are available.

I reported to TomTom support with no response. Unsure whether later Home versions remedy this matter.

Cheers, GeoffA

I ran into this same issue yesterday, I run my new 8.10 maps from the SD card. none of the new CGV would work when I had the SD card selected when downloading new voices. It was there but no sound. Heres the fix if your using an SD card for maps. you have to select internal memory when logging in. Download the computer voices as usual. Once you disconnect, change maps back to the SD card. It should work, mine did!:)

Hey Guys,

Apologies for resurrecting this thread but it perfectly details my problem.

My tomtom XL worked with computer voices when I purchased it, after running some updates I first thought the speaker had gone but it turned out that the voices (computer ones) were all not working.

I've got a standard recorded voice working. and the computer voices are there for me so select but when I click select I get nothing, I can't test it and no sound comes out.

I have everything on an SD card, is this the problem? Should computer voices go onto the internal? Really appreciate some help. I noticed a chap earlier talk about logging in without a map or something along those lines?

Thanks very much

:)

I ran into this same issue yesterday, I run my new 8.10 maps from the SD card. none of the new CGV would work when I had the SD card selected when downloading new voices. It was there but no sound. Heres the fix if your using an SD card for maps. you have to select internal memory when logging in. Download the computer voices as usual. Once you disconnect, change maps back to the SD card. It should work, mine did!:)
Tundra 914, can you elaborate when you mean logging in and selecting internal memory? I think you could save the day!

Hey Guys,

Apologies for resurrecting this thread but it perfectly details my problem.

My tomtom XL worked with computer voices when I purchased it, after running some updates I first thought the speaker had gone but it turned out that the voices (computer ones) were all not working.

I've got a standard recorded voice working. and the computer voices are there for me so select but when I click select I get nothing, I can't test it and no sound comes out.

I have everything on an SD card, is this the problem? Should computer voices go onto the internal? Really appreciate some help. I noticed a chap earlier talk about logging in without a map or something along those lines?

Thanks very much

:)

No, your model requires everything on internal or everything on the card. Try a reset of the unit. If you don't have a hole for the reset on your model, hod the power button for about 15 seconds or so.

voices

Just wanted to tell everyone that I have used Dave as my computer voice for many years and never had any type of problem with all the downloads that tom tom had. Still works and work well.

No, your model requires everything on internal or everything on the card. Try a reset of the unit. If you don't have a hole for the reset on your model, hod the power button for about 15 seconds or so.

Thanks for the response DHN, I've given the reset button ago, I can confirm it's reset by the start up drums, still no difference, also I've tried the clear flash tool but still nothing.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

It could be there is a problem with the sd card. Make sure it is not a sdhc card. Do you have another card you can try?

Perhaps a call to UK support is in order.

It could be there is a problem with the sd card. Make sure it is not a sdhc card. Do you have another card you can try?

Perhaps a call to UK support is in order.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Hmm, nope unfortunately no extra card. Its a 2GB card. I've tried once again pulling the voices off. No luck.

The funny thing is these voices used to work, its really odd. I ran an update and boom, they dont work.

They can test from within TomTom home absolutely fine (when you press play sample) what happens between there and the putting on the device??!

Thanks
Paul

Can you use Home to delete voices from your computer and try downloading and installing again? Or have you tried that?

Can you use Home to delete voices from your computer and try downloading and installing again? Or have you tried that?

Yep tried that!

Just to confirm, my model is the TomTom One XL. I'm pretty sure technically this does not support Text to Speech. However, it was bought second hand from eBay and I'm thinking the previous owner using slightly unscrupulous means, installed the software that supports TTS.

Does this help solve my problem at all?

Cheers

Ask a Question