Computer Voice Problems on XL 340

I deleted the Susan computer voice from my XL 340, and am now trying to reinstall it, but it doesn't work. The files are there, but no voice. Also, when I select either computer voice Susan or Brian, and hit "Test", there is no sound. All the other non-computer voices work fine. What am I doing wrong? Am I missing a file?

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I tried it and it didn't work. Is there a way I can start over to delete and reinstall the voices? If so, what files should I look for?

How did you remove the voice in the first place? Using Home's Manage my device? And how did you try to add the computer voice back?

Do you have a backup of the unit's contents?

I deleted it directly from the TT drive, not through Home. I did make a copy of the computer voice file "Susan" to my desktop before I deleted it, but not the entire contents of the unit (already kicking myself). When I tried to reinstall it using Home, I got an error, so I dropped the "Susan" folder back into the TT drive. I was able to download and install the Brian computer voice using Home without an error, but now neither work. :(

May I suggest this........

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of what you have on the unit now. Ensure the backup is on the computer in a folder.

Then use Explorer to delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, no Folders or their contents.

Now move the complete loquendotts folder to the computer. Delete it from the unit.

Connect the unit to Home. It should offer an application. Accept it and install.Disconnect the unit properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon. Restart. Are the computer voices back and selectable?

If so, make another Explorer backup to the computer.

Another solution may be to simply log onto Tomtom Home and download the Susan computer voice from Tomtom (make sure that you are connected to the Internet - sorry to be obvious).

You should see her as one of the choices for download when you click on Computer Voices in Home. If not, you'll have to go with dhn's suggestion above.

Last edited:
I don't see Susan's voice when I try to work with the unit in Home, but it IS there when I check the GPS drive on my PC. Also, when I logoff Home and disconnect the unit, Susan IS there and speaks. How can I see her back in Home ? I tried the reboot but that didn't do it.

Ask a Question