Compass Direction wrong on new 730

Playing around a little bit more. Although there is no customizable compass anymore, there is a "direction" option and it says N, S, E, W and the degrees, so that's almost the same thing and does the trick. It shows you which way you're heading. It's under "Change Preferences", "Status Bar Preferences", check "Direction". Then it displays on the lower right hand corner (if you're in horizontal display). Hope this helps anyone else reading the thread....

Many Feathers beat me to the punch so I will repeat the same info although with more useless words.

V8.x removed the compass preferences from the GPS.

I used to like the option of changing how the compass looked. I used to use the option that would point the arrow to the direction you were driving. If you were driving West the arrow would point left. The default setting would operate as original poster has specified (driving West would point right). I guess like other people say I guess it always points N which most of us non-boyscouts have trouble with.

The new version basically does not give you the option of configuring the compass. However, if you select Direction in status bar options. You will see it in the status bar in degrees and direction and it works well.

This is my wife's GPS (One XL-S). I hadn't spent much time with it so I was confused about a month ago when the display changed. I guess this happened when it updated from 7.x to 8.x.

I don't have a car that has a compass in the rearview mirror so having this option in my TomTom is really cool.

I set my map to '2D top portion points to direction of vehicle movement'. So as I turn right or left, the map on the screen rotates accordingly. The tiny compass that points north, tells me where north is on the map display.
If I zoom out, it is like being in a helicopter looking straight down below the streets.

It maybe nice to have a pointer that points to the destination. Sort of telling me 'Hey you maybe heading in the wrong direction!'.. But so far the gps always recomputes and updates direction everytime I make a wrong turn.

Compass still not working on TT730 with latest update

I just updated my TT730 with the latest patches and the problem with the East/West orientation not working on the compass still exists. Has anyone come up with a solution for this? :(

In reply to your post there is not a 'problem'. TomTom changed the operation of the compass. I would think reading other people's posts would show this. Maybe TomTom may change this feature in a future release otherwise it is a matter of recognizing the way it is implemented. I specified in a previous post that there is a separate option for 'direction' which includes degrees and direction name.

;)

I just updated my TT730 with the latest patches and the problem with the East/West orientation not working on the compass still exists. Has anyone come up with a solution for this? :(

I found out that the compas always lets you know where NORTH is, therefore, if you travel east it will point to the left (west!) as north will be to your left and if you travel west it will point to the right (east) as again, that is where north will be... I think it is STUPID :mad: They should have left the old compass.

Status bar preferences-->direction--> will show the direction of travel in degrees and letters.

Let me just add something to that. If you set up 2D map with direction of movement being up the compass always show north. Stupid downgrade - yes. But if you do 2D map with north always showing up then what is the compass showing? It's not showing north in any case because it would always be pointed up. Well it's not showing east or west correctly either. It's again this mirrored image: N - up; S- down; E- right; W - left. So what am I looking at?
And then what's the point of removing options to choose from forcing everybody to go with whatever they want. What if tomorrow they tell you to use only 2D map with north being up (removing the other 2D mode)? I mean aren't things supposed to become more user friendly and customizable?
I hope TomTom will listen to all of us because they are not the only brand out there.

Ask a Question