Compass Removal

TomTom Model(s)
LX350 TM
I have been using my Lx 350 for a while, and especially liked the Compass feature that showed direction you are going in degrees at the lower left corner of the screen. I used it quite often because one of my cars does not have an electronic compass. I was told by TomTom support this feature was removed on the last update because it was not being used. I hope others have noticed this and request they put it back as an option. If it is gone forever, I certainly will look at other makes of GPS units when I need to replace what I have.

There's always 3rd party "Off Road Navigator". Should run on a 350, shouldn't it? Even with the reduced menu?

I really doubt we'll see the return of a compass to either the Nav2 or Nav3 units. I guess there's still some hope for Nav4, but those models aren't going to see the USA market for a while yet.

Even if the compass does return, I doubt it will ever have the "point to destination" option again, "just the point to north".

Having said that, I'm sur I have sen a very basic compass on one of my units recently, so I think it IS there in a reduced form on either NAV2 or NAV3 (sorry to be so vague, but I'm at work and can't check them - will report back).

Having said that, I'm sur I have sen a very basic compass on one of my units recently, so I think it IS there in a reduced form on either NAV2 or NAV3 (sorry to be so vague, but I'm at work and can't check them - will report back).
My XXL540 (a NAV2 unit) has a "Point to North" needle on the screen.

My GO LIVE 1535 (a NAV3 unit) does NOT have a compass needle of any type on the screen.

- Tom -

Thanks -et-

I can also confirm there is a small, 'minimal function' compass on all my NAV2 models (Go940/Go950/XL Live) so it HASN'T disappeared completely from NAV2.

Last edited:
I went to my local Pound Shop and bought one to stick on the dash, you know the floating ball type, not as good as a compass on the screen, but does the trick.

I went to my local Pound Shop and bought one to stick on the dash, you know the floating ball type, not as good as a compass on the screen, but does the trick.
But just think - it gives your car a "Vintage" look. :D

(I remember riding in a car with one of those on the dash over 65 years ago. Aaahh, the good old days . . . )

- Tom -

:) nothing wrong with a bit of futuristic old styling, and with a rotary compass, if you loose power on your nav and have no way of charging it, at least you know which way North is from where ever you happen to be lost!

Ask a Question