Coincidence ?I am not so sure.

A few months ago I downloaded a poi file via home and the next day my Go 730 started with this phantom screen changing and like all the others here recently ending up calling the nearest police station.

So I cleaned round the bezel - no difference, removed the bezel and the rubber seal cleaned the whole screen and re-assembled - better but not 100% anyway subsequent to this I fitted a new battery, cleaned everything again and the problem has been gone for at least 3 months, BUT.....

Yesterday I downloaded another POI via home and yes you guessed it the screen scrolling issue has been driving me batty all day again - there is NO contamination of the seal it is spotless.

Now can this be down to coincidence that after downloading a new POI this problem has come back ???

And why when the button press sequence that occurs all on its own do all these units end up at the same place? and to get there manually the presses needed are at the TOP of the screen - so unless we have gravity defying dust there is something else going on here.

Any thought?

BOB

Wild theory..... :p

I must have downloaded thousands of POI files if you include weekly updates to my speed camera files, and I've never seen this happen. (although admittedly none were downloaded via Home).

I'd be impressed if you deleted the POI you downloaded and the problem went away again. Have you tried that?

No I have not tried that and don't think I will as every time I change anything on the unit it gives problems to be honest.

It is surprising how many posts there are with the Phantom Screen touch issue at the moment, and they all have the same end result - going to the local police page ! Mine even rings the police if my phone is connected - most embarrassing !

So does everybody have dirt in the SAME place to cause this phenomenon - I think not.

Also mine did it with the screen bezel removed !

Hey Ho its a Tom Tom - maybe we should expect the unexpected even if every body has the same symptoms.

BOB

Automatic Screen Scrolling

Well, after driving me up the wall (and ringing the Police all by itself) and with no apparent solution to this common problem I have ditched the Go 730 for a Garmin !

Shame really because when it worked it worked well - a bit more support from TomTom might also have persuaded me to buy another unit from them. Anyway we will see how we get on.

Bob

Ask a Question