Routing problem - not sure how to correct

TomTom Model(s)
Start 25 Europe
My new Start 25 has tried to route me a strange way home the last couple of days. If I program in a route on the TomTom routing website it does exactly the same thing,

See here: http://routes.tomtom.com/#/route/Se...9472489564,-2.2702647274776&zoom=13&map=basic

It's as if it thinks Barlow Moor Road is a one way street at this point but it doesn't show this on the map. (If you click 'Reverse' it shows the correct route)

I'd do a map correction but I don't think it's possible in this case.

Apologies if this isn't the correct method to flag up a problem - it just seemed an easy way to show it

Go into the Map Correction and see if there are turn restrictions visible at the intersection of Hardy and Barlow Moor. You do this as if you were actually about to enter a correction yourself. You will see what is permitted before you are asked to modify it.

I don't know if it's a 1-way issue, or simply the fact that the the map data indicates that you are not permitted to make a left turn from eastbound Hardy onto northbound Barlow Moor.

I'll get my 740 fired up with the UK map and see if I can see anything interesting from this end.

Nope. My 890 map shows no left turn restriction at that intersection. It could also be that you have a different map or have picked up some bad Mapshare info. Or it could be that IQRoutes has picked up the idea that northbound traffic through that section of Barlow Moor is bloody awful at the time you had proposed to travel it, and that the detour is worth the time. Understand that if the latter is the case, whether it routes you along the detour or directly up Barlow Moor may depend upon the time of day and day of week.

Thanks for the replies.

I have map 890 too. I wondered about bad mapshare info, but the fact it does the same routing issue through the TomTom routing website makes me suspect not - unless this website uses the same mapshare corrections.

Is there a way to remove these corrections to find out if they're causing the problem?

I also wondered about IQRoutes, but to be honest the traffic is never bad enough for it to suggest some of the crazy re-routing I've seen on this short section of road.

You originally said "has tried to route me a strange way home the last couple of days". Had the routing looked more normal just before this? Or has it always been that way with your new Start?

I've only had my Start 25 for a few days so have been trying it out. It's been the same every day that I've tried it.

As I say I don't think it's a problem with my device as it's doing exactly the same route as the TomTom website routing application

My apologies. I read your routing backwards. I had thought I was looking at the 'reversed' route. I'll take another look at this coming from the 'other' end (starting at the Selborne Road end) and see what I can see there.

Edit: OK, checked there, and see no reason at all why the routing does not continue southbound along Barlow Moor Road.
I have reported the problem thusly .. if it makes sense to you or not, please advise!

Used Hardware: Both Start 25 and TomTom's own online route planner show the same problem
Map Name/Version: 890 on Start 25
Geographical Location: See here http://routes.tomtom.com/#/route/Selborne%2520Road%252C%2520Chorlton%2520Cum%2520Hardy%252C%2520Manchester%252C%2520UK%254053.444%252C-2.2776%2540-1/Hardcastle%2520Avenue%252C%2520Manchester%252C%2520UK%254053.43036%252C-2.26968%2540-1/?leave=now&traffic=false&center=53.439472489564%2C-2.2702647274776&zoom=13&map=basic

Specifically, travel south on Barlow Moor Road is diverted eastward at about N53 26.553 / W02 16.632.

Problem description: Route diverts unnecessarily to Wilbraham Road rather than continuing directly south on Barlow Moor Road. Cannot find any turn restrictions in map 890 that would cause this, and is constantly routed this way - no unusual traffic issues present on Barlow Moor Road.

Clicking "Reverse" on the TomTom planner shows a correct routing result.

Expected: Per link, routing should continue south on Barlow Moor Road, not divert eastward onto Wilbraham Road.

Last edited:
It's definitely not your imagination, Roger. Someone else 'walked the road' a bit further than either of us had done looking for problems and spotted the goof that is causing the oddball routing...

Map 890 won't permit continued southbound travel on Barlow Moor Road beyond roughly the intersection of High/Sandy/Zetland Barlow Moor. If you are southbound, the only move allowed at that intersection is a sharp right onto High. So it's reported for correction, but who knows how long it will take to get it cleaned up? I'd bet it's not for two map releases (about 7-1/2 months).

In the interim, if you know how to make a "Map Correction", you can correct this on your own unit so that it doesn't keep showing up for you. You'll want to 'undo' any southbound Barlow Moor Rd. turn restrictions at that intersection that aren't "real". Having done that, your unit should route you (and anyone else getting the MapShare correction) normally until this gets corrected in some future map update.

You'll be pleased to know that your problem has an official tracking number now, so they will get to it at some point.

A reminder: If you (or other members) have major issues like this, always be sure to bring them up here with as much detail as possible (rogerb did us a real favor with that TomTom route planner map) as there's always some chance we can get someone at TT who is responsible for mapping errors to help us out with these.

That's great news. Thanks once again for the help.
I've not done a map correction before but I'll look into it and add it.

Cheers!

In past history, it seems it has been more likely to get dealt with if you enter the correction online, but that doesn't correct them on your unit. You CAN correct that turn restriction on your unit, and no matter what TomTom/TeleAtlas does with your request, your unit will retain that correction so you don't have that routing issue again.

If you need any help working through how to make a map correction on your unit to modify turn restrictions at an intersection, let us know. I could probably do it with a bunch of screen shots on my 740 that you could duplicate on your Start 25.

Took a while but I figured it out. Have done the correction and shared it.
This looks to have sorted the problem now.

@Roger
Finally. Took long enough, but you can expect the turn restriction error to be corrected in the 910 map (ugh .. next March), but at least it will be fixed!

Ask a Question