Cheaper Maps for Canadians

Is the map updated to the newest version, 8.40 ?
Immediately after completing the credit card transaction I received an eMail with the Activation Code.
Now we know why the newer versions of HOME have a Use my activation code button on the opening screen.
I made a complete back up of my device (in case something goes awry with the down load), opened HOME and it started to download the map immediately. I had a very slow connection on Christmas Eve and it took a little over 30 minutes.

I then made another complete back up of my device (to make sure I have a current one should my device screw up) and then went Operate my GO and lo-and-behold, the 840 was there.

Of course all that could have been an elaborate lie and it kept the old map but just changed the display at the user interface for me to believe that I got the 840!

Of course all that could have been an elaborate lie and it kept the old map but just changed the display at the user interface for me to believe that I got the 840!

Now you know better than that.........:p

I'm not even going to tell you how to confirm what map and version you have installed........:cool:

(you Torontonians drive me nuts! :eek:......oh, wait a minute .............:) )

Over 2 years later (since I acquired my 720) since I heard better Alberta coverage was imminent, still no improved coverage for rural Alberta.., so at this point if they were free it's still a useless offer for us. The local stores that started selling GPS units have pretty well stopped bringing in the TT units because:

• #1 - they are useless unless you live in Edmonton/Calgary and plan on never driving anywhere else.
  • #2 - the Garmin's and Magellans can take customized "oil tracks" maps that give coverage for every single off highway road there is - very handy if you are working in the oilfield related or Forest industries

Having said that, I am still checking google maps periodically to see if the have improved the scarce coverage here, so far in vain. I do like the interface and usability over the Garmin Nuvi, but until then it's the Nuvi sitting on my dash while the TT gathers dust.

Don't blame you. Maybe, just maybe, TomTom will get the hint and get serious about updating Canadian roads properly since users and potential users are moving elsewhere ......

Ask a Question