Car kit compatability

TomTom Model(s)
iphone app
I have just received an email from Tomtom advertising their car kit for the iphone and also showing a car kit for the ipod touch, I believe that the only difference between the two kits is that one has bluetooth capability and the other does not.
I mailed Tomtom who replied that the hardware was different in that the ipod touch kit had a GPS receiver and the iphone kit did not, this I know to be rubbish!

Since my car has bluetooth could I not use the ipod touch car kit (?20 cheaper) to mount and run my iphone, same connecter, GPS chip etc, just no bluetooth.

Anybody got any ideas or clarification on this

AFAIK, the two sizes are slightly different, with the iPod holder a bit smaller. I don't think it would work for the iPhone.

I seem to remember something about the iPOD Touch using a slightly different connector or was it the distance from the back of the device to the centerline of the connector that was different?

My Richard Solo Battery pack for the iPhone also doubles for the iPOD Touch but you have to change the connector support bracket if using the battery with pre 3G style device.

In addition does the early iPOD Touch support Bluetooth for audio output? I am not even sure it has Bluetooth so the iPhone car kit wouldn't work correctly with an iPOD Touch as it needs the Bluetooth A2DP audio support in order to work.
Making a different car kit for the iPOD makes sense as it opens up the software applicability to a larger family of devices (more software sales), it hasn't got the Bluetooth audio support but it certainly has the GPS receiver, the lack of BT A2DP explains the slightly lower price - Mike

Correct on all points Mike. The Touch is not quite as tall as the iPhone, but very close tho. No the early iPods didn't offer Bluetooth. And the connector too is a bit different.

Ask a Question