Car Kit 3Gs

TomTom Model(s)
550 XXL
I am thinking on buying the gsp software along with the car kit.
For I am sick of renting a gps with the car rental company.

My question is this. When I use the Car Kit, Will I be charged for data usage with AT&T????

Right now, I have been monitoring my data usage when I use the gps from Apple and it could be very costly if I go to Canada.
Because of the data usage, this is preventing me from turning on the data in Canada. Do I need to worry about data usage with the Car Kit? Can I simply go to the control panel and turn of my data? So that I can play safe in Canada while using the Car Kit?

robert

I assume you are talking about getting an iPhone car kit holder? if so all that does is supply GPS position to the iPhone and offer a better loud speaker for in car use.

You will need a GPS mapping solution for your iPhone, this puts the maps on to the device and negates the need for any data downloading in use unless you decide to use some of the on-line services from within the application.

It would appear you have been using the Google maps which your iPhone downloads as you drive, used in a different country this could get real costly! A GPS application with maps stored on the device will get your data usage down to near zero, to be honest I would spend the cash on the GPS application rather than car kit as your iPhone has its own GPS receiver built in to it - Mike

thank you

Seems like either way, that I will be tied into my phone company. AT&T is costing me an Arm and a Leg as it is. I do not want to give any more money to them as it is.
I guess to be safe is that I will have to get a stand alone GPS. This way, I will never have to worry about cost when I am outside the country.
Thank you again
robert

TT will try to get a fix using the phone network if it can't get a GPS fix, and that can be problematic and cost you money.

You can turn off data roaming in iPhone settings, in which case TT will have to manage on GPS alone, and you'll have no phone charges.

Ask a Question