Can't update or reformat my device

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL
When I connected my device to the computer today, the system informed me that "Your memory card is write protected. Please remove the write protection".

Interesting - I don't use a memory card.

I backed up the internal memory ok, thinking I would reformat it, but I can't even do that. The system responds with the same message.

Does anyone know how to overcome this?

Where is the message coming, from Home or Windows?

Have you tried a reset on the unit?

The message was from TomTom Home, and yes, I did reset the unit.

I don't know what resetting is supposed to do, but having done so I still got the same message and my map was still intact and the unit is working ok.

I have now uninstalled Home and flushed out all remanent files. I shall download and install again and see if that makes any difference.

If you're very, very sure that you have a complete and good "Explorer" backup, one thing you can try is repartitioning and reformatting the internal flash. Google for the HP USB Format Utility and use it to reformat the memory.

I've done this successfully on my XL 340-S after a normal reformat attempt went awry and left Windows telling me that Track 0 was corrupt or invalid and refused to reformat the flash. I haven't seen that error message since the floppy days.

I really have no idea how risky this is though -- just because it worked for me doesn't mean that it will work for you. Maybe I just got lucky and didn't completely brick my TomTom.

Thank you Ardax.

I have already tried to reformat it without success. I just get the "write protected" message.

However, I have been exchanging correspondence with the TomTom support team who think the device is faulty and I will be returning it to their service centre for investigation.

Ask a Question