Can't get map update

TomTom Model(s)
XL 340 S LIVE
I have a TomTom XL LIVE TTS GPS. Also called XL S Live IQ and XL340 TM XL340 S Live

I have free lifetime map updates. I have not updated my maps in over a year. I tried to update the other day. First I had to update my PC software to Home 2. Then it said I didn't have any updates. That is wrong as they should come every 6 months.

How do I get my map updates?

Eric Adams

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, then come ever quarter (3 months). Give customer service a call at 866 486 6866 and see what has happened to your subscription. The TM model does indeed imply free quarterly updates. Assume you have successfully updated it before?

Yes I have been able to do updates in the past. Over a couple of years. I try calling tomorrow. Thanks for your help

Called support 866-486-6866. Got a person right away. No wait. Helped me solve problem thought had to go thru a few hoops!

First thing he had me tried was holding power button on device until I heard drums. I did this but held it too long and got a black screen with white text. Did it again and release button as soon as I heard the drums. But this didn’t help.

Then he had me rename the TomTom folder under “My Documents”. This worked. I was then able to see updates for my map. But I had another issue after I hung up the phone with support.

There were 2 maps available. One was a smaller map with just US, Canada and Mexico. The other was larger and also had Puerto Rico, Virgin Isles and others. I selected the smaller one. But it turned out that was an old map version 860.xxxx.

I then selected the larger map version 955.6805 and then selected the US only zone. First had to delete the map from my device and then I was able to do the update to the US Zone only zone.

Don’t know why they show that smaller map that is an old version

That's a bug in Home, offering old maps.
Have a go720 which hiccuped lately. Tried back up which loaded OK but I lost the ability to use lifetime map update which I bought & used separately I am still looking for the activation code or other help What chances they will allow me the updates somehow without the code? Is there a file I should look at in the back up I used to help?

Call support to advise:

866 486 6866
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EDT
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EDT

I am unaware of a 'lifetime map update' in the traditional subscription sense -- one where you get a full new map each quarter -- for the GO 720. Is that what you are saying you owned previously? If so, you'd have to contact customer support to get it started again.

What may be more likely is that you were receiving periodic MapShare updates. If that's what's not coming across with Home, we can fix that.

Ask a Question