Can't fine activation code on XLIQ

I'm pretty sure when i brought this from Halfords the guy said you get a 30 day free subscription, includes downloads of all maps, etc.

I can't find my activation code.

Is it something along the lines 6EM9.14.11? Because that doesn't work,

Latest maps and applications don't require an activation code. You are entitled to ONE map update within the first 30-days of ownership. If you are getting an activation code required message, try downloading and running the Clear Flash tool found here. Run it 3 times.

If that doesn't help, call UK support.

Hmm how do I know I have the klastest map? I did download some maps but it was only 75% of the orginal? I had to pay for the rest?

Also with Map Share. How do I download map share? Says I have already joined MS when i log on to it.

Tap the satellite bars on your unit and the next screen shows the application version installed. Tap the version number and the following screen that appears shows the map installed and its version number.

You download mapshares using Home when selecting the 'update my unit' icon.

That would be the application. What is the map and version button?

The update My unit icon is in Home's first screen when you have the unit connected to the computer.

Everytime I connect device to computer, I get tomtom home popping up and every time it updates fuel prices and maps shares. I have already installed these before.

Are the fuel prices new as in the price of fuel today? I thought I had to pay for fuel prices?

Are the map share new?

According to the device my maps are uptodate. My UK/Europe maps are 175mb. But i want to know if that is the full version. Since I dont have an activation code which I assume gives me access to my 30 free subscription? I want to know if my maps are up2date.

Is that the lastest one? I assume their would be a version number?

Last edited:
There is a setting in Preferences in Home to have Home start when you connect the unit to the computer which can be turned off (I've got it set to NOT start automatically).

There indeed can be a new mapshare every day, maybe fuel prices too.

Also does the updates update to your computer? Beuacse there seems to be more updates stored on my computer then my device.

Certainly, gpsquickfixes are stored on the computer. Find them here:

c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\ephemeris\

In that folder you'll se a bunch of sub folders. You can delete them all.

What good are the updates on my computer?

its weird. I have 1 map on device 175mb. 2 on my computer (190mb (which I have to pay can delete that)) and 156mb map.

When I back up my files from device to computer I still 1 map on device, 2 on my computer of which all 3 are different size.

Why is there so many double installed updates on my computer?

Last edited:
All updated maps (not the ones originally on the unit) first get stored on the computer and then installed on the unit.

So, if you had 3 updates for the same map over a year or so, you'd have 1 map on the unit but 3 map files on the computer.

I see so the 175mp on my device is only 75% of a map.

THe 190mb on computer is the full map but I have to pay for it. The 156 is the map I rongially got.

So how do I get my activation code? I was suppose to get 30days free subscription/

Last edited:
Lets not clutter this with more questions until we have addressed the root issue, WHAT MAP VERSION DO YOU HAVE INSTALLED - sorry for shouting but without that information its difficult to prescribe further advice - dhn has told you how to find this out but so fat you have only posted the Navcore software version - we need to know the map version v830 or v835 or something else? - Mike

That is the latest and current map, there won't be another map release for around two months so simply forget about LMG as its not needed:

1/ You have the latest map
2/ There is no newer map available
3/ There won't be a newer map available within the LMG period of 28 days

Map Share will update every time you connect the device to the PC unless you elect out of Map Share, some users swear by Map Share and some of us swear at it, I won't use it at all for downloads as I have seen numerous errors introduced with major A and M class roads in the UK becomming closed due to stupid changes that have got through the net - Choice is yours but I see Map Share as a Map Degradation service to be honest.

The only decent advice I can offer is that you should make a full backup of the device using Windows Explorer to the PC, don't use Home for backups as its not very good at simple tasks such as a backup, and for more complicated jobs its even worse! - Only use Home when you really need to or are feeling very depressed and need to make things worse! - Mike

Last edited:
Why is there a 190mb map file that it asks me to pay for then?

How do I back up using Windows Explorer?

Does the free subscription include speed cameras tho? I would like to get that.

With Map Share I only use TomTom and Trust sources. Are those not good?

Why is there a 190mb map file that it asks me to pay for then?
Possibly due to Home being stupid, at the end of the day you have the latest map, the only other possibility is Home is asking you to subscribe to the Map Update scheme, which, for a fixed price, paid in advvance you get 12 months of map updates for less than the purchase price of a single map. Generally this means 4 map updates in a 12 month period and if you want very up to date maps all the time then this offers good value - This scheme is totally different to the Map Share system as each of the four map releases you get are full blown new maps, each new map will involve a large file download to your PC circe 170MB for UK&ROI or around 1GB if its Europe map.

How do I back up using Windows Explorer?
Connect the device to the PC and start up Windows Explorer, find the drive letter associated with your TomTom (it will say TomTom next to the letter), click it to open the drive and view the contents, select all the files and folders with the mouse, right click and select "Copy" now go to your computers desktop, create a new folder by right clicking and selecting New/ Folder name this My TT Backup. Rightclick on the new folder and select "Paste" all the files and folders will now copy from the device to the PC.

Does the free subscription include speed cameras tho? I would like to get that.
Russian Roulette with your license if you rely upon the TT database in the UK, it might be free but updates are sparse and the mobile speed cameras are virtually no existant, there are better alternatives available such as the offering from Pocketgpsworld.com

With Map Share I only use TomTom and Trust sources. Are those not good?
Trusted MapShare changes have included the closure of the A34, M4, M1 let alone quite a few other smaller roads around the UK that I have seen first hand - choice is yours, its a great idea in principle but sadly let down by poor implementation - Mike

Trusted MapShare changes have included the closure of the A34, M4, M1 let alone quite a few other smaller roads around the UK that I have seen first hand - choice is yours, its a great idea in principle but sadly let down by poor implementation - Mike

who are the trusted sources?

This is one of the reasons I don't like the system as it never gets explained fully - your guess is as good as mine as to who or what is trusted, we also don't know how TomTom verify map share changes before sending them out each time - What I do know is if they were valued trusted sources and the verification was as good as it should be major roads wouldn't get closed off by accident - Mike

Ask a Question