Cannot Avoid Toll Roads

Hello,

I live right next to a toll road and for where I usually drive and I have no need to get on it. I have told TT to always avoid toll roads and while i realize that my map may not be the most up to date and I have done manual map corrections to force it to acknowledge that the road is a toll yet i still get routed on to the toll road when I am near it. How can I "BAN" this road from being used? Why would the "always avoid" feature not be working?

Thanks.

TomTom Go 730
NavCore 8.351
North_America_2gb v8.00.1727

How are you trying to designate the road is a toll road using Map Share? And, are you set to share mapshare changes with others or set to keep changes to yourself only?

To designate the road as a toll I am going to MAP CORRECTIONS, REPORT OTHER ERROR, EXISTING STREET, ON MAP. I then move to that road on the map and select it (this road has a East/West direction) and choose "this is a toll road" then do the other direction of that road just to be sure. Also I mark it as permanent.

As for the mapshare part, I go to PREFERENCES, MANAGE MAPS, DOWNLOAD FREE CORRECTIONS, CONTINUE and under verified by I had all but "some users" checked. Is this the wrong thing to do?

Thanks.

The road must be misclassified as non-toll in the tomtom map.

Anything in the "other error" section of mapshare, such as reporting Toll Roads, is a report-only update in mapshare. Tomtom will research the reports, and maybe correct it in a future map. The "other errors" don't affect your Tomtom in realtime.

Many changes are achievable in realtime. If you never plan to use the road, you can block it in mapshare (just don't share it with others). This occurs in realtime on your device.

If you let us know the road, we can check if tomtom fixed the toll classification in the latest 830 map.

When you "block" a road, are you only blocking a given section of the road?

When I try that it only highlights about x yards of the road that I click on but I drive all up and down that area.

Do I have to block a road in mutiple locations or is a block for the entire road even if that road is 10, 50 , 100, etc. miles long?

Thanks

When you "block" a road, are you only blocking a given section of the road?

When I try that it only highlights about x yards of the road that I click on but I drive all up and down that area.

Do I have to block a road in mutiple locations or is a block for the entire road even if that road is 10, 50 , 100, etc. miles long?

Thanks
Yes - your unit will indicate the section of the road that it plans to block. Blocking near the point of entry you are providing will keep it from starting you there, but it MAY very well try to put you back onto it at the next interchange if it believes that will again be a faster route. You'll need to select all sections of the road that could be used to route you to your destination. That's true whether you are defining it as a toll road or trying to block it.

I'm somewhat mystified by the sections that a TomTom will select for such purposes (changing a speed limit is another one). Sometimes it will pull up unbelievably long sections that include many interchanges with large roads along the way, and sometimes very short sections.

FYI - if you can do this using TomTom Home, you may well find that it's easier to make segment selections with your mouse on a PC screen than trying to do it on the TomTom screen.

In the v830 latest map:
- Tomtom marks the east-west portion between 620N and 35N as a toll road.
- And it marks the entire north/south portion from 130 to 183 as a toll road.
So if this matches reality, you may consider upgrading your map

As far as blocking roads, blocks usually only work one segment at a time, and segments usually are defined by intersections. One option is to just block the locations of the toll booths, rather than the entire road.

I have a map subscription, so I have map 830 on my device. I used it to route and saw where it gave me "toll road" warnings.

You too mvl, you should fix your signature since you have map 830, and not map 8.30 :p

picky... picky.. picky...

It's a mental block - the 800 series maps are a brand new series that requires brand new firmware. But then again so does map 815.

picky... picky.. picky...

It's a mental block - the 800 series maps are a brand new series that requires brand new firmware. But then again so does map 815.

Hehe sorry :D It's just that I have gotten 2 PM's from new members who are confused about map version numbers and Navcore version numbers. I'm assuming this is why TomTom doesn't use a decimal after the 8 in their maps. I even loaded up an old backup from my old ONE XL onto my thumb drive, used "operate my XL" and found that TomTom still never used a decimal after the number 7. It was still version 725.xxxx
I'm wondering where people got the idea of adding a decimal after the first number in the map..

And to the OP, I've had some instances where I tell the TomTom to avoid Toll roads, and yet still takes me to a toll road, even though there are ways to get to my location without using toll roads. I wish the device would at least tell you "Cannot avoid toll roads,' instead it just leads you to believe that you are avoiding toll roads, till you hit one. This caused hell for me one time because I approached one of those toll booths that was $0.25 and didn't have a toll operator. I didn't have any change on me so I was like "$*@%!!!!!"

I looked all over my car, under seats, carpet, glovebox, etc and managed to find a nickle and 20 pennies. That's when I found out that toll booths DO accept pennies even though they have a sticker stating that the minimum coin accepted is a nickle. I was saved that time.

Of ALL the toll booths here in Florida, I have found that every single one takes pennies :D Now i have use for the hundreds of pennies that accumilate all over my car.

Ask a Question