Can Tom Toms be tracked?

Hi all,

I'd rather be joining this forum for other reasons but unfortunately some arsehole decided to steal my Tom Tom One today from my work van.

I know if they did they would probably advertise it, but surely if you have the serial number et al, any satellite navigation system should be trackable?

Is this a possibility?

Cheers

Kristian

No. They are receivers not transmitters...
Sorry to hear you got jacked. you can only hope they try your Plus Services and update the buddy location... that's the only way to try to get a bead on them...

I feel for you Portland Bill, I've been in a similar situation (car being broken into).

I would contact the local police and fill out a police report. Also, contact TT support and tell them what had happened and see what they can do/suggest. Hopefully your insurance covers anything that was stolen.

Please keep us updated on what TT can do/suggests as I am interested as I'm sure most people in this forum are.

I hope the crooks get caught.

If they ever come here and we get the device id....
matter of fact... PM me your device stuff if you can... it might still be in HOME

note to self... set up password tonight when I get home.

does anyone know how well the password feature works in making this useless to a thief?

Get out? Can you put 5.42 on a 910? I didn't think it would be possible, but that makes me a little nervous with my password on it. I thought 5.42 was base software for the 700 and 300?

Maybe the old 6.02? Huh, ok, gotta look into this....:confused:

No. They are receivers not transmitters...
Sorry to hear you got jacked. you can only hope they try your Plus Services and update the buddy location... that's the only way to try to get a bead on them...

You are a smart man Battom...That is a good reason to setup the locate a buddy service...I previously viewed that as only a "locate a buddy thing"...

The question is though, how likely is it that the thief would take the time to connect his cell phone for PLUS services, but not disable the locate a buddy part?

Ever see a smart thief? you don't neccessarily need to connect a phone to use Plus services... I use my internet connection all the time....

All it takes is for them to go..."oh what's this do?"

Spoke to the police and they're going to look at the cctv and see if they can spot them.

Not sure what details you mean about the device stuff.

I just figured because of the traffic stuff and speed camera data that they'd be able to check the live details of each unit hence they'd be able to trace them. If that made any sense.

Never mind, I'll see what the insurance say.

Each TT has a device code... if you still have access to that we can keep an eye on anyone tryign to come here with that ID (if they ever posted it of course)

It would be nice if we created a National Register of stolen GPS receivers which the crime investigators can use to identify the owners of recovered devices.

All we would need to know is the following:

Manufacturer
Model
Serial Number
Any identifying marks

I had the same problem here in NJ, my window was smashed and my TTone was gone! The officer told me that it has been happening a lot with GPS units, so its a good idea to keep them outta sight when parked! I know its a pain, but it will be worth it...trust me! I got a new one, and now I always remove it from my dash , and put it in my glove box, at least no one can see it.

Ask a Question