Can Navigator software be transferred/sold?

mam

TomTom Model(s)
2505, 1535, 920, 140S, Sold 720, 130
I recently purchased a TT 720 AIO. Therefore, my Navigator software for PDA is no longer of use. I saw Navigator being sold on eBay and wondered if I could also sell them, if possible and legal.

Does anyone know/have experience in transferring /selling their registered TT software? Is it legally possible? If so what is the process? Thanks for any help and advise.

I have:

TT Navigator 6
TT Navigator 5 Upgrade Pack
TT Navigator 2004

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the link, it was useful.

I did write to TT support first and they responded with:

"We can certainly understand moving to a different device. There is no way to transfer ownership of your software. It is registered to you and will remain so for the life of the software."

It would suggest that when I registered my GO720 on the same email address, they did not deactivate my Navigator 6? Am I correct?

Frankly, I cannot understand this constraint. I suppose I can either delete the products from MyTomTom or call /write with specific product code # and ask TT support to deactivate, if possible.

If anyone else had additional experience with TT support or this process, I will appreciate any input.

Thanks once again.

There is no reason for you to delete and/or deactivate your navigator software. there should be no conflict with your 720. You might wind up getting a compatible navigator device in the future, and you could load it up again.

I have a Blackberry Pearl 8120 with their OEM maps and Google mobile maps. Unlike the navigator, which is a self contained GPS mapping system, they work off of maps that are constantly being downloaded to the device. I almost made the mistake of using it overseas, and the data downloads would have added up to several hundred dollars ($.15/mb on T'Mobile) in a hurry. I wish I could get a self-contained system like navigator on it.

FYI - I believe you can change your account information including your email address on the TomTom support site. This would allow someone else to use it, even though TomTom considers it licensed to only you.

Here is the latest from TT in response to my asking them if another individual can use the Navigator on their device, if I were to give it away:

"You can sell or give the software to another person. However, the license and warranty are not transferable. The software will work on a different device, but you will have to call in to have it activated. The license fee is a lot cheaper than the full price of the software.

My recommendation it to call in to Customer Support and they will be able to assist you in getting this done. We appreciate the fact that you are a long time user of our software. We will do everything we can to assist you with this."

So it looks like there is a license fee involved!!!!!

I have asked them you elaborate and provide teh actual amount and procedure for going about it. If I get a useful answer, I wil ceratinly post.

Follow up to my earlier posting regarding the cost to obtain a new activation from TT support:

"When the software is placed on another device it will not activate since the device code has already been used to generate an activation. Once the fee is paid Customer support will activate the software. The license fee is $49.95. Calling in will allow them to walk you through the process. It can be practical to do this, as it is less expensive than making a new purchase of the software."

Thanks for the update. It looks like any TT software gotten off Ebay should best be "new" condition - or there will be that $49.95 fee to get it working.

You might still want to hang on to your PDA application. When you are not in your car, it is a lot more handy to carry around than the 720.

Ask a Question