Can 920T be upgraded with IQ routes and Adv Lane Display?

I just purchased my TT 920T about six weeks ago and took one trip to the DC area and it was then that I envisioned a better lane notification was needed.

Now it's there in the 930. I would love to add these features to my 920. Am I stuck with the shortcomings of the 920T?

George

920 is fully compatible with the new features, however in need of navcore 8 app and the v8 map to make them work.
Just wait and I bet they sooner or later will release the support for x20 seriers.

Last edited:
I just purchased my TT 920T about six weeks ago and took one trip to the DC area and it was then that I envisioned a better lane notification was needed.

Now it's there in the 930. I would love to add these features to my 920. Am I stuck with the shortcomings of the 920T?

George

I read some where that IQ Routes and Adv. Lane Display will not be available on older TT Models through firmware updates. You will have to purchase the TT930 to get them.

I highly doubt TomTom will do this. Why on Earth should they? IF they do, you better beleive they are gonna charge you for the new map.
Last I spoke with TomTom (last week), there was no understanding that the 920T would be given IQ routing, as the 930 has. It really ticks me off, too. My 920T is only 5 months old.

They could charge for it. It's still better than buying a whole new unit and they still make money. I don't know why they wouldn't. I did notice that the 930 only comes with one map so 920 owners many have to sacrifice a map?

They could charge for it. It's still better than buying a whole new unit and they still make money. I don't know why they wouldn't. I did notice that the 930 only comes with one map so 920 owners many have to sacrifice a map?

I believe the 930 comes with two maps, but just voice files for one of them, it seems.

If you go to TomTom's web site and tell it that you want to buy maps for a GO 930 you'll see that the 805 maps sell for $130, whereas the 720 maps listed for the GO 920 sell for $100. Also according to their web site, the 720 maps include the necessary data for IQ routing, but there's no mention of them containing data for lane guidance.

As long as the 920s are still offered for sale, or still in the distribution channel, I think there's no chance of us seeing any FREE software updates that will provide IQ routing or lane guidance, as this would just undermine sales of the 930s. But once the 920s are no longer available, anyone willing to purchase a 930 to replace their 920 would probably have already done so. At that time, providing an upgrade path for remaining 920 owners would make sense.

On the TomTom web site, the current selling prices of the Go 930 and GO 920 are US$499.95 and US$449.95, and difference of US$50. If I were in the market for a new unit, I would pay the extra US$50 for the GO 930 without hesitation. If they were to offer an update that would bring the GO 930 features to the GO 920 for US$50, I would jump at the chance.

As it is though, I bought my GO 920 from Dell for US$270. If I could return the GO 920 for a full refund and buy a GO 930 for US$500, I would be hard pressed to take that offer.

For now I'll just wait and see... see what updates become available for the GO 920, and see the prices of the GO 930 drop over time.

As long as the 920s are still offered for sale, or still in the distribution channel, I think there's no chance of us seeing any FREE software updates that will provide IQ routing or lane guidance, as this would just undermine sales of the 930s. But once the 920s are no longer available, anyone willing to purchase a 930 to replace their 920 would probably have already done so. At that time, providing an upgrade path for remaining 920 owners would make sense.

I'm just talking from and environmentally friendly (or waste reduction) point of view. If the hardware is more or less the same, and they let me buy software for the 920 to make it like the 930, I'd be happy to buy the software upgrade (say even $100). TomTom would make as much money (probably?) as selling a whole new unit without having to manufacture it. One less unit has to be sold on ebay or end up in a landfill.

(my disclaimer: now I'm not a big fan of TomToms in general (I like my old garmin that got lost a lot more) so I'd never buy a whole now TomTom anyway...)

I just upgraded my TT 920 T application to 8.010 (is that what you mean by "Navgear T8?). Now it has a new menu pick for "Show lane images", but, when I press it it says "The map or map version you are using is not compatible with Lane guidance." (My maps are still 710).

Does this imply when I buy the 720 NA map it might enable lane guidance on my 920?

I just upgraded my TT 920 T application to 8.010 (is that what you mean by "Navgear T8?). Now it has a new menu pick for "Show lane images", but, when I press it it says "The map or map version you are using is not compatible with Lane guidance." (My maps are still 710).

Does this imply when I buy the 720 NA map it might enable lane guidance on my 920?

No, sorry.....that functionality is only available with Navcore 8 firmware (which you have) and version 8 maps for x20 models which are not available officially (for sale) yet. There is some feeling that version 8 maps WILL be available for purchase for x20 units after August 1st.

No, sorry.....that functionality is only available with Navcore 8 firmware (which you have) and version 8 maps for x20 models which are not available officially (for sale) yet. There is some feeling that version 8 maps WILL be available for purchase for x20 units after August 1st.

Or you can purchase a version 8 map now from TomTom's website by stating, when asked, that you have a x30 model. I've done this on my GO 520 which now has the same functionality as a GO 530.

I'd advise you take a full backup using Win Explorer first though...

I have a 920 and a few weeks back I was driving on a Hwy. and was alerted by around 3 beeps and when I looked at my screen there was a static image, that took up the entire screen, of the next exit and which lane I should be in!!!! I have v715 maps and v8.010 firmware. This has since stopped happening??:confused:

I was able to get the V8 maps and 8.02 navcore working on my 920T. I had to do some searching on the interwebs and eventually found a forum that offers advice on how to do so.

I'll tell you what. I've been on vacation in Portland for the past week and my "upgraded" 920 saved my skin on several occasions with all their bridges.

I was able to get the V8 maps and 8.02 navcore working on my 920T. I had to do some searching on the interwebs and eventually found a forum that offers advice on how to do so.

I'll tell you what. I've been on vacation in Portland for the past week and my "upgraded" 920 saved my skin on several occasions with all their bridges.

Any chance you would share where you found the version 8 maps for your 720? I just got a 720, and it came loaded with v710.1584 map set. My Application is ver 8.010.

My Question

Hi, my name is Roman, I have just recently updated my tomtom through tomtom home and discovered a new option in the change preferences menu

"Show Lane Images" but i get a message saying...

"The map or map version you are using is not compatable with lane guidance. For more information, visit www.tomtom.com"

I was under the impression that this option was for the TomTom 930. Is this now available for the 920?

Im using map version v715.1712

TomTom Support guy

Dear Roman,

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Support regarding Advanced Lane Guidance. It is our goal to provide you with an exceptional customer experience. We are always happy to help.

It is our desire to make the GO 920 compatible with IQ Routes and Advance Lane Guidance. At this time, these features only work with our Navcore 8 software and map. We have not completed testing on Navcore 8 for compatibility with the GO 920. If/when compatibility is determined, we will be certain to post this information on our website. To stay up-to-date on all our new features, updates, and units we suggest subscribing to our newsletter. Instructions to do so can be found on our website at:

www.tomtom.com/2091

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Erica
TomTom Customer Support

Customer (Roman Lech) 06/24/2008 02:17 AM

looks liek its a for sure with the nav core 8 map update :D

We have not completed testing on Navcore 8 for compatibility with the GO 920.

What do they mean by this? a) that they have not tested if Navcore 8 is compatible with x20 devices or b) that they have not tested if Navcore 8 is compatible with x20 devices AND a version 8 map?

I hope it's the latter. Surely they must have tested compatability with x20 devices as such before they made the firmware download available to x20 users?

Surely they must have tested compatability with x20 devices as such before they made the firmware download available to x20 users?

Svein, to assume TomTom tests **anything** properly before release is being way too optimistic, unfortunately. :(

What do they mean by this? a) that they have not tested if Navcore 8 is compatible with x20 devices or b) that they have not tested if Navcore 8 is compatible with x20 devices AND a version 8 map?

I think it means that their testing has determined that releasing both Navcore 8 and map version 8 for x20 devices is not compatible with their marketing plan, and that version 8 maps won't be released until there are very few (if any) x20 models remaining for sale to end users.

Releasing version 8 maps for x20 devices would mean that anyone who purchased an x20 device in the past 30 days would get the functionality of an x30 device for free, and would temporarily boost sales of the remaining x20 devices while at the same time cutting into sales of x30 devices.

Basically they want the timing of the release to enable few (if any) x20 owners to get a free update to x30 functionality. Barring the current fire sale on maps, version 8 maps are selling for around $130US. If they can delay the release and eventually get people to buy these instead of giving it away...

Ask a Question