GO 920T almost dead

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920T
Hi guys, my 1st post so apologies if I make an 'etiquette' blunder. ;~}

I've just replaced the battery in my 920T but when I reattached the flex ribbon cable, the latch tab snapped! It appears that the cable goes over the tab & is locked in place from the underside by the latch tab. Unfortunately I inserted it under the tab which is why it wouldn't lock in place & eventually snapped.

I then tried holding the flex cable in place & got the display working a couple of times but then the display went kinda weird & pixellated from the left to the right & now I can't get any display even after a reset, tho' the drums still sound on powering up, Any ideas or is it a dead duck?

I'm afraid what you did does happen when the user lifts the latch too much. Fellow mods canderson and Andy_P will see your plight here and may have some suggestions. So check back in a few hours.

Thanks for replying dhn. It's so frustrating as everything was going so well & the last thing I had to do was close the latch on the cable & I was done. I'll check back in later to see if there is some way to recover the situation.

BTW how's sunny Toronto? I used to live near Kitchener as a kid & really enjoyed my time in Canada.

It is sunny here today with a high of about 18 celsius. Today is our Thanksgiving.

Sorry for lack of replies, I'm not sure how I missed this topic...

If you can hold the cable in place in the socket and find ANY position where it works then I've heard it is possible to fix it in place with a couple of blobs of gunk from a hot glue gun. But I guess that's a "last ditch" repair, as if you get it wrong and get glue on the contacts, there's no going back.

There are a couple of repair shops in the UK still, and there's a guy from Europe who has recently been posting on this forum who can do repairs to TomTom circuit boards. I don't know whether it would be economically worthwhile though.

Ask a Question