Can 920T be upgraded with IQ routes and Adv Lane Display?

I think it means that their testing has determined that releasing both Navcore 8 and map version 8 for x20 devices is not compatible with their marketing plan, and that version 8 maps won't be released until there are very few (if any) x20 models remaining for sale to end users.

Releasing version 8 maps for x20 devices would mean that anyone who purchased an x20 device in the past 30 days would get the functionality of an x30 device for free, and would temporarily boost sales of the remaining x20 devices while at the same time cutting into sales of x30 devices.

Basically they want the timing of the release to enable few (if any) x20 owners to get a free update to x30 functionality. Barring the current fire sale on maps, version 8 maps are selling for around $130US. If they can delay the release and eventually get people to buy these instead of giving it away...

I agree with this. TT needs to raise their profits. Particularly so since their profitability dipped in their latest yearly financial report and their need to raise cash for the Tele Atlas costly purchase. The x20 stock needs to be liquidated first, then those buyers will need to purchase v8 maps is the scenario I envision the most likely to occur. Don't expect giveaways from a company that strongly needs to substantially raise its profits! I would not be surprised to see v7 maps for the 7xx and 9xx models to be discontinued to force v8 map purchases...

I think it means that their testing has determined that releasing both Navcore 8 and map version 8 for x20 devices is not compatible with their marketing plan, and that version 8 maps won't be released until there are very few (if any) x20 models remaining for sale to end users.

Releasing version 8 maps for x20 devices would mean that anyone who purchased an x20 device in the past 30 days would get the functionality of an x30 device for free, and would temporarily boost sales of the remaining x20 devices while at the same time cutting into sales of x30 devices.

Basically they want the timing of the release to enable few (if any) x20 owners to get a free update to x30 functionality. Barring the current fire sale on maps, version 8 maps are selling for around $130US. If they can delay the release and eventually get people to buy these instead of giving it away...

To be fair, there do appear to be some differences between the x20 and x30 hardware, enough that they had to make some changes to NavCore 8 before they could release it for x20, and even then, they pulled it back for a while. So I like to think that they're actually QA testing the v8 maps with NavCore 8.

...but I also know the business parts of technology companies, so this is probably not far off.

I was surprised to see the above post from TomTom support stating that those features would be available for x20's... after all, they unintentionally turned on VR on the 720 for a while and turned it off, proving they can control what features they want to enable on a device even if it's basically the same hardware and software. TomTom could have chosen to say that those are features that x20 users haven't paid for, and that (at minimum) a purchasable upgrade is required to enable those features. I'd buy that upgrade too if they made it available that way.

That's the thing .... the **hardware** appears to be the same between the x20 and x30 models, except for skin colour. At Least as far as I was aware. What do you know? :)

That's the thing .... the **hardware** appears to be the same between the x20 and x30 models, except for skin colour. At Least as far as I was aware. What do you know? :)

I know that TomTom Support reported that when NavCore 8 was released as part of the x30 launch, those that tried to install NavCore 8 on x20 devices found it very buggy. That's why it was revved before it was made available for x20. This implies at minimum a difference that is deeper in the stack than NavCore. Not necessarily hardware, but it's expensive for a company to maintain multiple OS's. That implies different hardware or at least modifications in firmware.

TomTom's roots are that it was hired to write software for devices by a device manufacturer, so its focus remains on the software end of the business. Though that contract has expired, it's very plausable that the company that they buy their hardware from has upgraded firmware, which can introduce problems, especially when the software company is not bound to be compliant with things like POSIX or LSB standard specs. Since the device isn't designed to be interoperable with third party applications, anything goes, and even access to chicken bits is not unheard of in an embedded device.

(I'm a processor and Linux OS guy, can you tell?)

I think I understand what you are saying but I'm not sure your assumptions are totally correct about the hardware...

For example, take the last sentence of your first paragraph and let's use this example: service pack 2 for XP was necessary for USB 2 to be enacted properly in a computer (perhaps not the concise terms, but I think (hope) you understand)...

Well, one could argue that XP--SP1 is a different o/s from XP--SP2. But the hardware never changed. Yet the functionality di (USB2).

Or is it just a crappy analogy? :( ;)

Remember that the 920 was using ver 7 maps when they first pushed out the ver 8 navcore. The 930 was using Ver 8 maps. Very likely the reason they had to tweek it to work correctly with the older and newer maps.

Guys. It works on the 920 and 720 and well, lets just say it works. Trust me. Just wait for it.

The hardware is the exact same (1000000% identical) the only difference is 1 byte in 1 file saying what model # it is. Eg: Go 720.

To be fair, there do appear to be some differences between the x20 and x30 hardware, enough that they had to make some changes to NavCore 8 before they could release it for x20, and even then, they pulled it back for a while. So I like to think that they're actually QA testing the v8 maps with NavCore 8.

...but I also know the business parts of technology companies, so this is probably not far off.

I was surprised to see the above post from TomTom support stating that those features would be available for x20's... after all, they unintentionally turned on VR on the 720 for a while and turned it off, proving they can control what features they want to enable on a device even if it's basically the same hardware and software. TomTom could have chosen to say that those are features that x20 users haven't paid for, and that (at minimum) a purchasable upgrade is required to enable those features. I'd buy that upgrade too if they made it available that way.

This is absolute rubbish.

Take it from me that it works 100% free of bugs 100% of the time.......so i have heard.

CHeers,

I agree with Spud. It definitely works and the advanced lane display is very nice. I don't blame TT at all for keeping this exclusive to the x30 models or at least charge for it as an upgrade. For people with the 1 year free map upgrade on the x20 models TT should charge a reduced fee. Just my opinion.

I agree with Spud. It definitely works and the advanced lane display is very nice. I don't blame TT at all for keeping this exclusive to the x30 models or at least charge for it as an upgrade. For people with the 1 year free map upgrade on the x20 models TT should charge a reduced fee. Just my opinion.

Please excuse me, but I want to make sure I completely understand :eek: .....with the latest auto update from TT, I am at 8.something on my 920 (don't have the TT with me at the moment to verify the exact rev.). Are you saying that if I had the version 8 maps installed, these new features would work? Or is there something else that one would need to incorporate these new features?

With Navcore 8.010 and maps of version 8+, ALG and IQ routing should work on a 920.

Unless TT intentionally disables it somehow. I don't see why they would do that though, since making the features available as part of a map update would drastically boost their map update sales.

Unless TT intentionally disables it somehow. I don't see why they would do that though, since making the features available as part of a map update would drastically boost their map update sales.

Hmmm... redo the outside of the box to promote the new feature, rewrite the marketing materials, update the web site to advertise the new feature, cannibalize a feature you're charging more for in the 930 to sell more of an older unit with a lower ASP (average sale price). I'd call it a loss or a wash.

Has anyone confirmed this for sure?

I've read through the entire thread and I see a lot of could, should, might but I don't see a post where someone has actually gotten this to work, definitively on a 720/920.

I just got traffic to work with a free 3 month trial and so far it I like it a lot but iqroutes and advance lane display would be even more icing on the cake!

I've read through the entire thread and I see a lot of could, should, might but I don't see a post where someone has actually gotten this to work, definitively on a 720/920.

I just got traffic to work with a free 3 month trial and so far it I like it a lot but iqroutes and advance lane display would be even more icing on the cake!

http://www.gpsreview.net/get-iq-routes-on-tomtom-720-920/

I'm skeptical like yourself.

Thanks for heads up on this. From the discussion it sounds like it worked at first, but then TomTom got wind of it and pulled the plug.

I think we should start a petition requesting that TomTom make an official update. I think most users are willing to pay for this update and when you consider the cost of the update it pretty much makes up the difference between the cost of the 930 and 920 or 730 and 720.

It's the right thing to do because in my case I needed a GPS unit before the 930 was available and it was purchased fairly recently. I can still return the unit and it will just get RMA'ed to TomTom, but I wouldn't if they would just offer the update. It's good customer service and good business.

I can confirm that it does work. If you read my previous post that is what I said. It is a very nice feature. It is not officially supported by TomTom at this time.

Last edited:

Ask a Question