Go 920T wont stay on

TomTom Model(s)
Go 920T
I updated the HOME software and tried to download the latest map update. It said it would not fit, so I tried to put it on the SD card, which still did not work. I ejected the device and now it will turn on, goes to the startup picture and shuts off. I tried the reset button but it does the same thing. is there anything I can do?

Guess we'd better start from the start.
I assume this was a MapShare update, not a full 915 map update purchase?
Did you already have an SD card in this unit? If so, please describe what map(s) were internal and which were on the SD card when you started this process.
When was the last time you made a full backup of your unit, and what method did you use (Home, or a regular operating system folder copy?)

This was a 1 year purchase of updated maps. this was the last one of the 4. I never used a memory card and did not have a problem the last time I updated it. I am not sure about the backup, I thought it was done automatically when I updated. I it would of been done with the home software.

Item 0:
Unfortunately, there's no such thing as an automatic backup with Home. That said, let's see what we can do for you. The most recent map will be on your PC, so this may be a little tedious, but absolutely possible. Have you EVER performed a backup of your unit using either Home or using the OS to copy the files and folders? It is always a manual procedure, or more recently, one you must permit Home to perform if it asks.
If you don't know or are certain you have not made such a backup, please do so now using the procedure at this link >>> https://www.tomtomforums.com/thread...-to-the-computer-and-how-to-restore-it.17864/

Item 1:
Let's just be 100% sure about your map(s). Look in folder My Documents/TomTom/HOME/Downloads/complete/map and see if there is a new map folder there that matches the date of your update attempt. It will probably show up as USA___Canada or USA___Canada-1, etc. Look into that folder and you should find the following files:

activation.zip
USA_and_Canada-1.gif
USA_and_Canada.gif
USA_Canada.toc
USA_Canada.zip

That last one will be on the order of 1.844GB.

If you're good to that point, we can resolve things for you.

I assume you are also keeping some version of Western_Europe on your 920 as well?

Item 2:
Let's be sure you can manage whatever SD card you have installed. Please advise your firmware (application) version number. We're looking for something for 8.302 and above, more likely something like 9.510 or so.

Item 3:
What type of SD card did you install? SD, or SDHC. What size? 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, etc. What class? 2, 4, 6, 10, etc.

Backup has been done.
Yes, all of those files are in that location.

I do not see the western Europe but it probably is there. I'd be happy to get rid of it if possible

How do I find the firmware version? I know I did update it awhile back

I put in a SD HC 8gb class 4. I'd prefer not to have to use it if that is possible. I only need the USA map and the one computer voice I normally use.

If you've updated it in the last two years, you're good to go.
Remove the SD card before powering up.

Now, let's take this the easy way. You should find a map folder called Western_Europe on the unit. Since you have that backed up, you can delete it.
You can also delete your North_America (or North_America_2GB) folder from your unit.
Having done so, turn the unit off, shut down Home, turn the unit on again and let it cause Home to fire up. At this time, Home will make a new inventory of the unit's contents, and among other things, should discover that you have no map on your unit. Use Home (right arrow, Manage my device, and click on the "Install items from computer" tab. Hit the + button to the left of "Maps". Your new USA & Canada map should be obvious, but if not, click on the "More info" button and check to see the map version. You will be looking for Version 915.XXXX. Click "Add" to install it onto your device.
Use the proper Home disconnect method, turn your device off, start it again, and see if it is happy with the map installation.

Let us know how this works out for you.

Super. Now, make one more independent backup of your unit as it sits now for safekeeping against anything that might happen later!

Ask a Question