Can 920T be upgraded with IQ routes and Adv Lane Display?

considering the x20 models are so similar to the x30 models, tomtom won't officially be letting people with the x20 models just simply upgrade to get the new features. it just doesn't make business sense. selling the x30 models is their top priority.

considering the x20 models are so similar to the x30 models, tomtom won't officially be letting people with the x20 models just simply upgrade to get the new features. it just doesn't make business sense. selling the x30 models is their top priority.

They should sell the x30's to new customers of TomTom and support their EXISTING customer base by providing an upgrade path.

They SHOULD do this because they have been using us to collect data for iqroutes. Without their existing customers, iqroutes wouldn't be what it is today. It's the least they can do for loyal customers who have volunteered their own routing information in order to build the iqroutes database.

They should sell the x30's to new customers of TomTom and support their EXISTING customer base by providing an upgrade path.

They SHOULD do this because they have been using us to collect data for iqroutes. Without their existing customers, iqroutes wouldn't be what it is today. It's the least they can do for loyal customers who have volunteered their own routing information in order to build the iqroutes database.

My impression is that you won't see the new features available for x20s before the x20 inventory is sold. My latest BestBuy/FutureShop flyers show x20s for sale. TT needs to increase its profits because their profitability recently went down and they also need to borrow huge sums to purchase their Tele Atlas acquisition. I don't expect them to hand out free gifts soon. Not to say the new features won't appear but I expect them to come at a price. OTOH, you may benefit from making the upgrade later with the more recent maps that should benefit from MapShare more than any previous map updates and more IQ routing data and ALG.

My impression is that you won't see the new features available for x20s before the x20 inventory is sold. My latest BestBuy/FutureShop flyers show x20s for sale. TT needs to increase its profits because their profitability recently went down and they also need to borrow huge sums to purchase their Tele Atlas acquisition. I don't expect them to hand out free gifts soon. Not to say the new features won't appear but I expect them to come at a price. OTOH, you may benefit from making the upgrade later with the more recent maps that should benefit from MapShare more than any previous map updates and more IQ routing data and ALG.

I'm not expecting "free" gifts. If I wasn't clear before, I meant a paid upgrade made available officially to x20 customers.

yeah, but then who would buy the x30? the x20s will obviously be cheaper. people would just buy those and upgrade whenever they felt like it. those features are what makes the x30s unique - it doesn't matter if the older models can handle them or not. iq routes and advanced lane guidance are really cool features, they can't just hand them out, even if they do cost money. they're what makes the x30's an upgrade.

yeah, but then who would buy the x30? the x20s will obviously be cheaper. people would just buy those and upgrade whenever they felt like it. those features are what makes the x30s unique - it doesn't matter if the older models can handle them or not. iq routes and advanced lane guidance are really cool features, they can't just hand them out, even if they do cost money. they're what makes the x30's an upgrade.

But once the x20s are depleted from the retail channel, making the upgrade available for the x20s will not pose a significant threat to x30 sales.

But once the x20s are depleted from the retail channel, making the upgrade available for the x20s will not pose a significant threat to x30 sales.

Yes it would......if you wanted those features, you would have to upgrade to a x30..........allowing x20 owners to upgrade makes the x30 obsolete.

Why buy a new x30 if you can make your x20 into a x30?

I believe TT will never make the upgrade commercially available, you will have to source it on your own, or mislead the TT support staff as other users seemed to have done sucessfully into giving you the x30 maps.

What's about waiting 'til x40 released, then at that point, x30 will be about to obsolete and x20 would be completely obsoleted.
Tomtom then release x30 firmware for x20 devices :D

Funny how device manufacturers don't usually think this way. One would think this would be a great way for them to earn additional revenue from the existing user base without spending much on engineering.

To think of it another way, device manufacturers usually want to minimize the number of supported devices in the field. Each additional device means more documentation and training. So they'd rather have everyone get a new x30 (or x40 in the future) than make x20's last longer. Now: is there really a need for an x40? No, not if they spend some time on code optimization. If they optimize a bit they could add a few extra features without affecting performance very much, eliminating the need to rev their hardware product regularly and thus reducing engineering costs.

If I had to look into the future I would say the internal memory is going to be increased. At the moment, TT is in a bind to stuff the NA and European maps into the 4GB internal memory of the GO 930. They have 4 choices, dropping maps or coverage, dropping some details, try to compress the data even more or increase internal memory. I could see TT adding more details which puts them at an advantage vs the competition. I could even see TT offering much more details to major NA cities with the local yellow and blue pages for POIs, much more data for ALG, improved pronounciation, a more sophisticated IQ routing and offering people the possibility to download a major city's data with the purchase of a TT system.

Why not all cities? The amount of data would make it too cumbersome and Tele Atlas has limited very complete coverage. What they have gathered with their specially equipped trucks is awesome. I recently saw a documentary on this. The data is there for some cities, the problem is how to get it onto the small internal memory. Dropping data is the first answer but which? Or don't drop the data that is most usefull to the particular user which is normally his own city or the one he gets to most often. The majority of people live in urban areas and they are the most liquely to buy a gps navigational device because they have a thousand miles or more of street roads and highways within a 30 mile radius. We would still have the continental map for travelling far from home but the emphasis would be for our own city which we often don't know all that well outside our usual routes.

Last edited:

Ask a Question