Brand Spankin' New 910 User...just out of the box!

TomTom Model(s)
Hi Everyone!

I just purchased the 910 and just opened the box! Very excited about using this....any tips advice for a brand new guy?

I look forward to learning a bunch here and sharing what I find out!

Regards!

:)

Hello and welcome to the boards.

You can check out some third part apps in the 3rd Party Forum. Also, you may want to look at some custom POI's and alerts.

Have fun! :D

Thanks for the Welcome!

Well....glad I stumbled across this forum (kind of a forum junkie here...LOL)!

When I just plugged it in my antivirus discovered 2 trojan horses in the TomTom Home installation or on the device. I had Norton delete them (my first EVER indications that this computer had a chance of infection:eek: .

I called TomTom support and within a minute I was speaking with a very friendly rep that said I did the right thing!

I also searched here and found out the info right before the call!

This site ROCKS!

Regards

:)

So far so good I think!

The Backup is taking a LONG time...have 30 min left....

I was wondering....I have seen software versions, gps versions, etc mentioned here...where can I find that?

Also...I was reading about some sort of upgrade....am I missing something...I want to get this puppy up and running seamlessly and appreciate the advice from all the experts here!

From lurking around last night it appears that you can manipulate things on the TT910....cool for me because I have a Treo 650 that I tweak and mod on all the time!

Regards

Hello there and welcome! You will love the 910, glad you checked for viruses first. The backups do tend to take awhile. Grab your favorite POI and perhaps some voices and color schemes, and have fun!

Just got back from dinner and things are going great with the 910 as far as navigating with it! I managed to get my "unsupported" Treo 650 to work with the bluetooth phone and am still tweaking with that. The voices are really neat!

I am attempting the backup again tonight (now) hopefully it will work this time...Ill write down the error messages if any.

When you mentioned grab my favorite POI what were you refering to?

The manual that came in the box leaves alot to be desired....gotta do some diggin to find some more documentation on it!

Thanks for everything...btw...how do you check your versions of software..maps apps?

Regards!:)

When you mentioned grab my favorite POI what were you refering to?

What fanchee was referring to is download any of our free POI's found in the forum. There might be some POI's you might be interested in i.e. Red Light Camera.

Thanks for everything...btw...how do you check your versions of software..maps apps?

To check your version click here - Link. In the same screen you will see your app version as well.

Thanks!!!!

I just saw where battom has the links for manuals as well and I am reading the 910 now too....

I will have to wait for the update to either complete or error out before I can check the versions out.

I am assuming that I will need to get updated maps right? How often does TomTom update them anyhow?

I will look at the POI section and see how that all works....going to have to bone up on how to get those to my 910. I am going to try to plan a route from the Home software as well....didnt see how to do that before but it has to be somewhere:)

Ill be up all night with the new toy....LOL

Regards!

Well, if you don't have the map version 665.1293 then I would recommend to order the DVD update as its only $6 (you are only paying for shipping).

As far as how often they update the maps, no one knows.

If you need help installing POI's, just look at this sticky - Link.

Well, if you don't have the map version 665.1293 then I would recommend to order the DVD update as its only $6 (you are only paying for shipping).

As far as how often they update the maps, no one knows.

If you need help installing POI's, just look at this sticky - Link.

Man DIGI you ROCK!!!!!! Gotta love the internet and forums! Just what does the DVD update...I would assume as cities grow and roads change they would do that just like the Rand McNally or DeLorme folks do when they update things.

How long have you had a TomTom Digi?

Man DIGI you ROCK!!!!!! Gotta love the internet and forums! Just what does the DVD update...I would assume as cities grow and roads change they would do that just like the Rand McNally or DeLorme folks do when they update things.

How long have you had a TomTom Digi?

Thanks, I like the community here and try to help out as much as I can.

I had my unit for a couple of months now, about 4 to be exact.

Talk about addicting! I have a friend who has a Nuvi 660 and although I love the slim form factor of it, this is WAY more versatile as far as itineraries go! Ohh...and this is just way cooler with the way you can mod it!

The backup will soon be done!!!! It passed the settings.dat error...seems as though I had to set up the settings on the 910 first...Ill post that in the other thread so that others may see how I fixed it!

Yes, it is very addicting. Once you find out how to customize/tweak the unit, you have more appreciation of the unit and spend a lot of time doing it...I have....too much time in fact LOL

Yes, it is very addicting. Once you find out how to customize/tweak the unit, you have more appreciation of the unit and spend a lot of time doing it...I have....too much time in fact LOL

Ok all backed up....now what next?

I have version 6.510
GPS V1.21, Boot 4.31
North America v650.1108

Did you go to the tomtom plus site? It says I can get some sort of "Premium Voice" any suggestions as to what this is and did you do the same Promo?

I want to make sure I take all the steps to get it running with updates and advice before I start "tweaking" like I do with my Palm Treo 650!

Also, Cant figure out if you can see the Yahoo button on my posts...yours shows but when I look at it I cant see it...can you verify if you see my Y and if not any suggestions as to why its not showing up?

Thanks again!

I keep getting an error when I do update....says cant connect to tomtom plus...try again later...should I register there first.....

Also, I got a credit card product code...I take it this is important? The device works fine without me typing any of this info in...is it just for reference?

I have version 6.510
GPS V1.21, Boot 4.31
North America v650.1108

So it looks like you need to update your App and Map version. Are you on the latest version of HOME? The latest version is 1.5.106. If you download that, the update for you 910 app version should be downloaded automatically.

I would also look into ordering the DVD update. Go to the TT site and order the maps there. It should be straight forward.

Did you go to the tomtom plus site? It says I can get some sort of "Premium Voice" any suggestions as to what this is and did you do the same Promo?

The promo is the TT premium voice. The only English one is Mikey. It's up to you if you want it, I downloaded it because its free.

To get the promo, just go through HOME and click on activate promo. Enter the promo code there.

Also, Cant figure out if you can see the Yahoo button on my posts...yours shows but when I look at it I cant see it...can you verify if you see my Y and if not any suggestions as to why its not showing up?

I do not see the Yahoo icon on your profile. I guess make sure you have the correct yahoo email address for you messenger in your profile.

Ask a Question