bought a GO 510 on eBay, charging issue

Ok I got this yesterday, played around with it for a while, left it on home dock all night last night, with it turnedoff, got up this morning for first run, Green light at too left of unit is always lite when on home dock or suction power from car, got it to car and battery symble was blinking red, figured since it was pluggd in and both the green lite on machine and green lite on cigarette lighter plug was on that it wasn't a problem, but I got about 20 min into trip and boom tomtom shut down, and would not turn back on :-( now does this mean that these do not run on power, they have to have full battery? Or am I missing something??
Thanks
Emmet

All the indications are that power is being correctly supplied to the device, the other issue is the age of the device - The battery is probably shot and will need replacing, whilst it is a DIY posibility to undertake this job the battery was the first item installed as the device was assembled which makes removing it a fairly big job - If you are used to working with electronics then its not too difficult - Mike

Don't you have a windshield mount + cigarette plug ? If it turn on and show the menu on that mount then you don't need battery.

What I meant is fix it by using program Clear-Flash (dl from TT site) , put it on the windshield mount , turn it on and never turn off.

fixing the mount surface GO510

I've noticed on the 510 the little green light on, so no worries until the dead battery icon pops up, while its on the motorcycle or in the car. A little pressure on the lower unit and occasionally I would get it to charge. First I would go to the screen that displays the small green battery icon in the upper right corner and press on the lower front portion of the unit until the word "charging" pops up. Otherwise one would never know if its actually charging. I've been fussing with this for some months now and was reading the post when someone mention putting a peice of paper or tape between the mount and the TT. So I started tinkering and figured that if I put a little J B Weld into upper section of the two small square port holes on the mount this would cause the TT to mount a little tighter to the mount, with a little extra pressure against the contacts. I cleaned the contacts and checked the pins for uniformity. They're all good. The JB resin was mixed and placed in and up against the upper square hole boarder only, so that only approximately 1mm or maybe 1.5 mm thickness was added. This would cause the two pins inside the TT to seat lower and would cause added pressure to the contacts. The surface of the resin was formed with a flat screw driver to make it flat and to ensure the resin did not protrude past the TT body. The following day after the resin had hardened, I mounted the TomTom onto the mount and it immediately felt snugger and immediately began charging with out any fussing. So either the hole sizes are enlarging from soft plastic wearing or the two inside plastic pins are bending over time. Hope this helps another frustrated GPS user.

This sounds exactly what I need to do!!!! Having identical problems to you with my Go 910...

Can you post a photo or help a complete noob understand exactly what you have done as it is difficult to visualise from your description!!

thank you!
Alex

Ask a Question