Best Practices - New XXL 540tm

I just purchased a new XXL 540TM unit, upgrading from a TT 720. I remember the first time I did a map update on the old unit I read about all the horror stories about deleting voice files, etc just to make space. Then I ended up putting my maps on an SD card instead. Now I have the 540 coming with no SD slot, what's the best practice for fitting the first map update on the device?

1)Is it really just a backup using Windows Explorer or do I have to strip anything else out?
2)Will I still use the same version of TT Home (it says there are no new version available after I launch it) or is there a newer version for the newer devices?
3)Can one version of TT Home deal with 2 different units? I won't have to load a second instance will I?
4)The Lifetime Map update registration seems to be a common headache (I read) as some people register with no issue and some having to deal with the TT support team. Anyone know how I can successfully register on the first shot?
5)Traffic - Since traffic seems to be based with instances along a route, if the 540 recalcs my route based on my last-minute desire to take a different road will traffic also be re-assessed along the recalc'd route?

Thanks in advance.

Jack Weintraub

Do an Explorer backup. Remove all voices but one Computer voice using HOME. Then allow HOME to do updates. You can add back voices after a map update.

1)Is it really just a backup using Windows Explorer or do I have to strip anything else out?

Make the Explorer backup of the complete unit's contents. You shouldn't have to strip anything out. But, if you run into issues, the first thing to check is for voices you won't use (like foreign voices). Also, you can use Home to remove computer voices if needed and you can add them again later. As I said, none of this should be necessary, but ....

2)Will I still use the same version of TT Home (it says there are no new version available after I launch it) or is there a newer version for the newer devices?

Nope. Same version of Home. BUT, make sure you register your 540 TM with a DIFFERENT email address than you had for the 720. It doesn't even have to be a real email address. The first time you connect your new unit to Home, Home gives a messages that basically says "Hey, I don't recognize this unit. Do you want to create a new account for it?" You do.

3)Can one version of TT Home deal with 2 different units? I won't have to load a second instance will I?

See above.

4)The Lifetime Map update registration seems to be a common headache (I read) as some people register with no issue and some having to deal with the TT support team. Anyone know how I can successfully register on the first shot?

Ensuring the 540 has a new account id is a good start.

5)Traffic - Since traffic seems to be based with instances along a route, if the 540 recalcs my route based on my last-minute desire to take a different road will traffic also be re-assessed along the recalc'd route?

That is my understanding.

Thank you for the advice. After going through analysis paralysis for the last month between Magellan, Garmin, and TomTom the 540TM is the best choice for me. Yes I would have liked multi-layer categorization of my POI's because I'd really like to find a great Asian restaurant along my route on the next long road-trip but having reliable traffic and Tomtom's great navigation just sealed the deal. My 720 has been rock-solid since I bought it...I expect this 540 to be awesome as well. Thanks again.

Jack

I recently purchased a 540M and could not get the lifetime map code to work. I updated the firmware of the unit and tryed the code again and it worked.

Just something to try if you are having problems entering the code.

Next Lifetime Map Update Victim - Me

Received my 540TM today and followed the advice here in creating a new account then using Windows Explorer to make a backup of the device. I wanted to try to use the activation code for Lifetime maps but after clicking on Use Activation Code I received the same "error-try again" failure, couldn't get to the point where I could even enter the code. I am able to update my maps (30 day map guarantee) so that download is currently underway. Hoping that, once installed, I can try the lifetime map activation again. Anyone else been through this and solved it without calling TomTom Support?

Jack

Working

OK....got the lifetime maps activation working. After I did the 30 day map update download and install I just disconnected the device through TomTom Home, exited, and re-started Home. I then re-connected the device which rebooted once I enabled the computer interface. Was then able to use my activation code. I received an e-mail from TomTom acknowledging the lifetime maps activation. Is there anything in the TomTom Home interface that would also indicate this?

Jack

Is there anything in the TomTom Home interface that would also indicate this?

The lifetime maps is managed server side, The HOME client doesn't know about it so there's no indication that I'm aware of in the HOME app.

When happens is that when Tomtom releases a new map, the HOME server automatically adds the map onto your account, and it will be available in "Update my XL".

Try going to "My Order" under "My Account" in tomtom.com, and it should show the valid lifetime map activation there. I don't know however, as I don't have a lifetime map model (yet).

Ask a Question