TomTom Best Practices

You bought a TomTom and decided to check the Internet for some stuff about it and luckily have found this site...

Now....Before you do anything else.
Connect your Device to your computer, open HOME, and do a FULL AND COMPLETE backup.

Below will be what the members of this site believe to be best practices when operating your TomTom device with your PC/Mac.

This isn't a "Must Read" but if you don't... you'll at one point or another, wish you had.

(thanks to lec510 for the idea)

First:
The proper way to connect your TT device to your computer is to have HOME running already, connect the USB cable to your machine (preferably a USB 2.0 port) and THEN turn your device on. The device will then ask you if you want to connect to your computer, click yes.

The proper way to remove your device from your PC is to go to the Menu in HOME and select "Device". From there select "Disconnect device". You may then safely disconnect the USB cable from your TomTom Device.

This often overlooked and important step can help you from having many different sorts of errors and strange behaviors with your device!!!

Last edited:
origionally posted by fanchee
To all 910 owners, please don't overlook the fact that you NEED to backup your text-to-speech voice files. When doing a backup using HOME, it may ask you if you would rather EXCLUDE these files to save hard drive space. DO NOT EXCLUDE THEM! If later down the road your unit becomes corrupt and you need to reinstall from a backup, you WILL lose the text-to-speech voices unless you have them backed up. These voices are not included in the CD that ships, nor the maps upgrade DVD. Your only option if you lose them (and don't have a backup) is to send your unit back to TT.

Stop what you are doing and do a FULL backup, including these voice files. Do it now. And then do a quick search here on people losing these files, and you'll thank yourself later. Here is a perfect example.

The "Disconnect device" is always greyed out. I go to my computer and eject. Maybe thats why my tomtom is stuck on.

do a FULL AND COMPLETE backup

I perfromed a backup for my 720 but I am not sure if I did it properly. First, I did the backup using HOME. Which I believe only backed up my TT on HOME only, not onto my computer's hard drive. So then I think I backed it up on my computer's hard drive. How can I check to see if I performed it properly - in other words that it's on my computer's hard drive instead of just being in TT HOME?

And will it make any difference that I did do a "raw" back up the first timing on HOME but did the 2nd back up after I installed some of TT's updates?

It should be the same back up. HOME just takes a longer process coping the contents of your 720.

The default location is usually My Documents/Tom Tom/HOME/backups

second major step after everthing is running

You bought a TomTom and decided to check the Internet for some stuff about it and luckily have found this site...

Connect your Device to your computer, open HOME, and do a FULL AND COMPLETE backup.

Below will be what the members of this site believe to be best practices when operating your TomTom device with your PC/Mac.

This isn't a "Must Read" but if you don't... you'll at one point or another, wish you had.

First:
The proper way to connect your TT device to your computer is to have HOME running already, connect the USB cable to your machine (preferably a USB 2.0 port) and THEN turn your device on. The device will then ask you if you want to connect to your computer, click yes.

The proper way to remove your device from your PC is to go to the Menu in HOME and select "Device". From there select "Disconnect device". You may then safely disconnect the USB cable from your TomTom Device.

This often overlooked and important step can help you from having many different sorts of errors and strange behaviors with your device!!!

From tomtom home 2.1 From remove from computer remove any peoples voices that are not in your language for me US english. It wastes alot of space.
Once you get comfortable with the person who you choose to speak you can remove all the other people that are in your tom tom. For me you should choose some computer voice not the specialty voices because they talk and say road signs in english. You only need one computer voice. remove all others because they take up alot of megabites of space. For me Dave is the best a nice calm male voice if you like this.
You can even go into my computer under my doccuments and go to the tomtom folder and keep clicking until you can see the audiobooks and you can delete these preinstalled samples if you know that you will never use them to free up more space. After all is said and done I get about 264 MB of space in the tom tom after removal of everything extranious. Goodluck Michael

in order to install the new map, I have to uninstall 2 of the TTS thats already in the Go720 (only keep the english version TTS) and same to the voices. I can install the new map without any problems and I already did that to 3 TomTom Go720 within my family. So I am pretty sure those are the things do delete to free up space. And now I still have around 100 some MB left.

disconnecting your TomTom

First:

You can also disconnect the TT1 from the device manager icon at the right bottom of your PC.

In the bottom left of your window is a "Device" button, this will dismount your TT also.

First:

I really have to ask why, just out of curiosity.

On a Mac you can eject it either from the the TTH App, by dragging the drive icon to the trash on the desktop or by opening a FINDER window and clicking the little eject arrow to the right of the drive. Remember, if you have an SD Card installed it will show as a separate drive and you will have to eject that as well.

Ask a Question