Advice before updating a GO LIVE 820... what is the best approach?

TomTom Model(s)
GO LIVE 820 - 2GB TTS* (MyDrive)
Hi all,

I have a GO LIVE 820 - 2GB TTS and have never updated the maps since getting it 2 years ago. Back then it was reported that the Australian government had forced TomTom to stop reporting on speed camera locations (not sure if it was mobile speed cameras or maybe it was fixed ones too), but I don't use it enough to really need updates so just always answered 'No' to the sharing, update and other nag screens.

Now my 'free' (paid for in the purchase price) subscription has expired. I would like to use the unit more, however the constant 'update nag' is making it difficult. Constant nags are hardly a good way to treat customers, but maybe there is a firmware/ROM or alternate approach to fix the nagging. I sure as hell don't want to pay a subscription fee to have the pleasure of having all my location data feeding the Borg's surveillance appetite or pay for map updates and services I don't wish to use.

I can't seem to find a way in settings to make the unit more usable, so have just joined to understand my options better. I am still reading the forum, however I am so far unable to answer these simple questions:

1. If I can find a map (I might have downloaded one before my subscription ended) should I use it to update the TomTom, will it stop nagging (or just say the map is 12 months old instead of 24...)
or
2. replace the firmware or adjust settings to prevent it from nagging me (is the new firmware better or worse at nagging?)
3. is there any way to keep the live data feed without paying for a new map I may not need
4. The screen cover has always been loose (not tight to the screen). This makes is it hard to use (and has been this way since new). Is this a common issue, the way it is or should I pull it apart to tighten it up somehow? To be clear, this means that each time you tap the screen, the touch-membrane tends to stick to your finger- pulling away from the screen a mm or so. It leads to many mis-types.

I've never flashed a nav device before but am very familiar with embedded devices running iOS, BSD, BusyBox, etc. so am happy to jump in and use DD, Vim or whatever I need to to prevent the unit being landfill. I just don't know what is out there.

Thanks all, in advance,

FYI Device is an FT, GO LIVE 820 - 2GB TTS* (MyDrive)
App 11.037.920860.74 (0) (3015,5,4,2012) OS 824205
Map Australia v885.4019 Release date: 01/2012

Last edited:
Welcome to TTF. If the unit had a loose case from the start, why didn't you deal with it under warranty?

Anyway, short answer ......... only way to stop the nagging is to update your map. The LIVE functionality has to be renewed as well.

Not clear about your first point you posted. Have you a map update more current than 885 that you downloaded but did not install?

Welcome to TTF. If the unit had a loose case from the start, why didn't you deal with it under warranty?

Thanks! ... well I just never got round to it and didn't end up using it enough to really understand how bad it was. Are you familiar with screen issues like this- have you any idea why they happen?

Anyway, short answer ......... only way to stop the nagging is to update your map. The LIVE functionality has to be renewed as well.
By renewed- do you mean a subscription purchased?

Not clear about your first point you posted. Have you a map update more current than 885 that you downloaded but did not install?

I do. I'm just trying to figure out if it is worth it or whether it will lose features or continue nagging during use. The nag happens every time it resumes or turns on- and (I can't remember exactly what) but during use it takes it upon itself to nag about data uploads and more). Given the short communication windows available to a driver in traffic, I find this defeats the purpose of using a GPS navigator.

Also, is a new firmware advisable? Maybe the nags and pop-up notices are worse?

If the loose screen issue is a biggie, I'll move to a product less 'nobbled' by its makers.

Last edited:
Yes, Live Subscriptions need renewal after the first year. Price depends upon country.

Yes, Live Subscriptions need renewal after the first year. Price depends upon country.
Thanks dhn, And my apologies. I'm simply too frightened to log on and find out how much that will cost.

My GPS's maker has gradually disabled it before its warranty period ended by installing annoyances the software in addition to other things. There is just no way I'll give them more money now.

Last edited:
4. The screen cover has always been loose (not tight to the screen). This makes is it hard to use (and has been this way since new). Is this a common issue, the way it is or should I pull it apart to tighten it up somehow? To be clear, this means that each time you tap the screen, the touch-membrane tends to stick to your finger- pulling away from the screen a mm or so. It leads to many mis-types.

Sorry if this is a daft thought...it's just I have NEVER heard of this particular problem with a TomTom screen before.

Are you sure you haven't just still got the protective film on the screen that it comes with when new?

It looks similar to the screen protectors that you get for mobile phones etc. but is thinner and is meant to be peeled off as soon as you start using the device.

Also, out of interest, how often do you get these "nag" sceens popping up. I tend to keep the maps up to date but I do have one TomTom with old map and I hardly ever see any nagging.

Ask a Question