"+" being added to my numbers

OK, this is probably a dumb question, BUT, I had to manually enter in my contacts. "name","3035555555" format. It works great but when someone calls it shows up as: Rob "+303-555-5555". This creates a problem because when I hit redial, it dials the + and VZW thinks I'm dialing internationally. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks!

OK, this is probably a dumb question, BUT, I had to manually enter in my contacts. "name","3035555555" format. It works great but when someone calls it shows up as: Rob "+303-555-5555". This creates a problem because when I hit redial, it dials the + and VZW thinks I'm dialing internationally. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks!

Should be +1 then area code and number for the US.

Should be +1 then area code and number for the US.

ok so i've changed the text file to "13035555555" and then tried "+13035555555" and still the same thing. When I get a call, it displays the name but adds a + to the phone number and causes redial to try to dial internationally. I dont get it. Is there a setting somewhere on the TT that I'm missing? Or if anyone has gotten the contact list to work, check their file on their TT and see if maybe there is something extra to it besides just names and numbers?

unfortunately, I also had this problem. My phone bill had a international call to Brazil! I was able to clear that charge but I had to remove the "+" on all my contacts. I wish there was an easier method. I don't know why it does that.

This is very strange.:confused:
I can manually dial a number with the 1 in front and Verizon does not take the call as International. The "+" should not matter since Verizon should never see it but only the digits 0-9, * or #.
As I said, very strange.:confused:

I'd check with Verizon support and ask them why they think the call is International. You should be able to place the call with them on a land line and they should be able to tell what's going on. It's worth a try.

The + (or international dialing prefix) should not cause you to dial internationally as long as the 1 if after the plus.

The International Dialing code for US & Canada is 1 therefor +17055551234 should properly route to +1 (North America) 705 (Barrie, Ontario).

The Brazil International Dialing code is +55, therefore if you start with +55 you will end up calling Brazil.

GSM providers automatically add the + on incoming calls to allow their users to automatically callback no matter where it is. CDMA providers generally do not utilize the + function and utilize 011 to dial internationally.

--Phil

Because this is showing up at +303 then the NXX and number the provider would recognize this as calling Greece (international dialing code +30). It may be easier to place a 1 in front of the + which directs the call to North America.

+1303 is +1 (North America) 303 (Colorado City)

Hope This Helps,

--Phil

PS/ I am a Training Support Consultant for Rogers Wireless who is a GSM phone provider in Canada.

Because this is showing up at +303 then the NXX and number the provider would recognize this as calling Greece (international dialing code +30). It may be easier to place a 1 in front of the + which directs the call to North America.

+1303 is +1 (North America) 303 (Colorado City)

Hope This Helps,

--Phil

PS/ I am a Training Support Consultant for Rogers Wireless who is a GSM phone provider in Canada.

I tried +1. I tried just 1. I tried 001. This is done by editing the contacts.txt file on the TT. Nothing is working right. With verizon if you start out with a + it automatically dials 011 1 303 555 1212. I can manually type in the number or choose the number from my phonebook on the tt and it works fine. The minute someone calls me, it displays the number in the +3335551111 format with the name. that + sign is what is f'ing everything up. If I hit redial last caller, it dials +3335551111 and on the VZW phone screen it shows 011 1 333 555 1111 and of course since I dont have international calling on my phone i get the error message from verizon. Its frustrating. lol

In Verizon CDMA or GSM?
When you receive a call on your wireless phone are you seeing the +13335556666?

--Phil

In Verizon CDMA or GSM?
When you receive a call on your wireless phone are you seeing the +13335556666?

--Phil

CDMA

When I receive the call, the tomtom display shows this:

Rob
+303-555-1212

My phone displays this:
Rob
303-555-1212

Everything is ok so far. Call comes thru, Im happy. I go to my phonebook on the TT and i can call anyone just fine (because the contacts.txt list has no "+" sign in it.) The "+" is not a problem at all at this point. the problem comes when I select REDIAL LAST CALLER on the tomtom. This option is going off of what came thru to the TT not my phone. So the tomtom once again shows:

Rob
+303-555-1212

but my phone shows:
011 1 303 555 1212
and I get an error message from verizon stating that I dont have international calling enabled and to only dial the area code and number if calling to a US number within the US.

So I dunno. Tech support at TT told me to make sure my TT is up-to-date. yup. it is.

I have seen the same problem. I'm on Verizon so my phone is CDMA. HOWEVER, the +1 results in generating "011" plus a "1" in front of the areacode/number.

Example: a POI with this number +1-215-555-1212 is dialed as
011-121-55551212 which gets me to "Welcome to Verizon...your call cannot be completed as dialed".

I uploaded my phone directory to TT and those numbers work fine - no additional "prefixes" seem to be added. I don't know if a +1 prefix is added to a "caller's" number if it added to the address book on the TT.

....another observation:

If I view the local area map, there are ICONs shown (as I specifyP on the map. If I tap one of the Icons, it's phone number is shown. EVERY POI HAS A NUMBER IN THE FORM OF +1-aaa-nnn-nnnn!!!

Tapping the "blue shape" at the bottom of the map screen lets me call the POI's number. At that point I see 2 numbers at the top right of the screen:
...the first shows the "+1" number, but below it is a second number in the form of 1-aaa-nnn-nnnn which would be acceptible to the Verizon system.

I've tried to reach TT support (on hold for >25min) to see if there is some "option" I'm missing.

Anyone know of and option?

I have seen the same problem. I'm on Verizon so my phone is CDMA. HOWEVER, the +1 results in generating "011" plus a "1" in front of the areacode/number.

Example: a POI with this number +1-215-555-1212 is dialed as
011-121-55551212 which gets me to "Welcome to Verizon...your call cannot be completed as dialed".

I uploaded my phone directory to TT and those numbers work fine - no additional "prefixes" seem to be added. I don't know if a +1 prefix is added to a "caller's" number if it added to the address book on the TT.

Just a note here, +1 (or 011-1) is the International Dialing Prefix for North America. So the dialing procedure would be
011-[country code]-[area code (NPA)]-[Area Exchange (NPX)]-[Number]
ie/ +1-519-555-0123 is the same as 011-1-519-555-0123

--Phil

My iPhone (ATT) exhibits the same symptoms as others with Verizon have described. I can call anyone in my directory but cannot call back someone who called me because the "+" inserted by my TT 720 results in it being interpreted by ATT as an international call.
This is obviously a TT problem to fix.

My iPhone (ATT) exhibits the same symptoms as others with Verizon have described. I can call anyone in my directory but cannot call back someone who called me because the "+" inserted by my TT 720 results in it being interpreted by ATT as an international call.
This is obviously a TT problem to fix.
Since TomTom is made and listed specifically to be compatible for GSM networks only, I do not believe that TomTom will be issuing a "fix" as this done by design. When you receive a call on a GSM network it comes in as +[country code]-[region/area code]-[exchange]-[number]
ie/ +1(north america)-705(central ontario)-555(NXX)-0123(number)

--Phil

....another observation:

If I view the local area map, there are ICONs shown (as I specifyP on the map. If I tap one of the Icons, it's phone number is shown. EVERY POI HAS A NUMBER IN THE FORM OF +1-aaa-nnn-nnnn!!!

Tapping the "blue shape" at the bottom of the map screen lets me call the POI's number. At that point I see 2 numbers at the top right of the screen:
...the first shows the "+1" number, but below it is a second number in the form of 1-aaa-nnn-nnnn which would be acceptible to the Verizon system.

I've tried to reach TT support (on hold for >25min) to see if there is some "option" I'm missing.

Anyone know of and option?

Actually, while I interested in this issue, I was also interested in whether you have gotten that phone to work under Verizon and the Traffic/Weather DATA features?

Thanks.

Since TomTom is made and listed specifically to be compatible for GSM networks only...
Beg to differ, but the TomTom products are not "made ... to be compatible for GSM networks only...". A TomTom unit has absolutely no idea how the signal is being modulated between the phone and the carrier's cell site. The TomTom only cares that the data flows (somehow).

However, I have noticed that TomTom seems comfortable only with testing GSM equipment. That's a rather Eurocentric approach to life, don't you think? Not everyone here in N.A. is as enamored of that standard (and of the U.S. carriers that employ it) as is the case in Europe, where there's really no choice in the matter. For them, the choice is between GSM and GSM. Consequently, if I gave TomTom a CDMA phone, they'd have no European network to test it against. The problem (as I see it) is that they don't seem willing to do any of their qualification outside of Europe! TomTom should consider employing a U.S. test team to take care of North American market needs. (Resume' available upon request).

Yes, it would be probably be nice if the best available standard was being used worldwide for cell phone interconnect (sure would make traveling easier), but I'm afraid we're in a Betamax/VHS situation again. Where bandwidth and battery life are compared carefully, there are clear winners and losers in this business.

Thing is, there's nothing unique about GSM once you've got that data connection, and there's no real reason that TomTom should be qualifying only GSM phones. There's nothing inherent in their product that precludes other modulation schemes. Heck, I'm using their data services over TDMA on my phone -- they've probably never even heard of that one.

Last edited:

Ask a Question