Begging for help! GPS NOT LOOING FOR SIGNAL

Hi there everyone!

I am soooo incredibly stumped on this one. So, I have a tomtom xl 330s and have done the updates to it through tomtom home. The problem that I am currently having that has got me so distraught is that the GPS unit is not looking for a valid GPS signal. I say not even looking because the hour glass is not spinning in the satellite gps status section of the tomtom device. I have two tomtom xl 330s and the other one spins the hour glass while looking for the GPS signals. I don't know if this is some sort of registry issue or if the GPS can somehow be turned off. Either way I don't know why it's not even attempting to look for a signal. Please please please help me if you can. thanks!

Try doing a hard reset by holding the power button down until you hear the tomtom drums yet? Might be all you need.

To do that just push down on the power button and hold it there (for 15 to 25 seconds) until you hear the tomtom drums on the speaker.

I did give that a go (the drum sounding reset) already and nothin. Had the tomtom in my car windshield, clear night and just left it for about 30 min. Still nothing.

Connect to the computer. Use Explorer to clear the ephem folder on the unit. Then go here:

c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\ephemeris\ and remove any subfolders you find there.

Connect to Home and you should get a new gpsquickfix file. That may help.

also, is the battery in this unit fully charged? If not, do so.

Connect to the computer. Use Explorer to clear the ephem folder on the unit. Then go here:

c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\ephemeris\ and remove any subfolders you find there.

Connect to Home and you should get a new gpsquickfix file. That may help.

also, is the battery in this unit fully charged? If not, do so.

I did the ephem thing as you suggested. It downloaded a new GPS file but it is still a no go. I have a feeling that the issue is coming from some sort of registry problem or something that is supposed to tell the GPS unit to begin the process of acquiring the GPS signal. Like I said the little hour glass thing in the corner doesn't spin at all when I check the area that shows all the satellites. The unit just sits there :( If there is a problem with a file or I did something wrong is there anywhere that I could get all of the original tomtom xl 330s files that came with my device?

No, if it isn't spinning at all, that suggest a hardware, not software, issue.

Unit still under warranty?

Oh yea and the battery has a full charge whenever I disconnect the GPS and it drains as normal. Over a few hours of use.

And if you set it in a wide open area with no obstructions for a good half hour or so, nothing?

I'm sorry I can't offer any other advice.

If you do get a solution, can you PLEASE post back here so others in the same situation may learn from it.

Thanks.

Ok so tomtom really wasn't any help. They also said that since the hour glass isn't turning that the device is shot. want to hear something pretty sad. We were planning to move from our current location last year which is why we baught two of the same tomtoms. We didn't move but are now moving in a month. We used the defective one just ONE TIME!!! 150$ later this is what I get.... a 10$ voucher from tomtom because they wouldn't "goodwill" the device , replace it or give me an REAL compensation for buying a lemon GPS. I am very frustrated with tomtom and hate that they won't offer any real help or compensation. It's not like they are a multi-million dollar company or anything.

Thanks for all the help here everyone.

Ask a Question